• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Ive arrested two people in MD for carrying without a permit. I guess i should say stopped and then PG arrested them. Both matched the look out for armed robberies that occurred in my area. One was the right guy, one was bad place bad time bad outfit/hairstyle.

PG hammered the right dude but it is a Misd and he had bigger things to worry about after we had him extradited for robbery.

The wrong guy ended up having a stolen gun and i think he ate 1 year in jail.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I know of someone who has been carrying a loaded pistol in his car for over 40 years at least so he says wink, wink. So if you dare, it looks like pretty good odds. Me I tend to follow the laws and rules period. I just would not put myself in any position that will comprise me or my family.
    You’ve got LEOSA.

I humbly suggest you use it if you aren’t already.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    I'm curious.

Does anyone know of a case where someone was arrested in Maryland for illegal concealed carry? (I'm not planning on carrying concealed, nor do I advocate carrying illegally in our great and glorious Fatherland.) I'm just curious as to what the penalty is and how long one might be incarcerated for doing so. Since it is a felony, one who does carry and is convicted for doing so, will be forever barred from owning any type of firearm in any state, worlds without end. Amen.

But some people will carry anyway, intentionally or unintentionally. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal or firsthand experience with this.

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine is a cop in Arizona. They pulled over a guy on the highway and they ask him if they can search the car. The guy, an elderly fellow, says, "Sure, I have nothing to hide."

So they conduct a search. Under the seat, they find a Jennings J-22 with no magazine. It's covered in dust and the man doesn't know it was there or who it belonged to. (His son drove the car a lot, and the gun was thought to have belonged to a friend of his.) Instead of throwing the gun in the trunk and giving the guy a warning, they arrest the guy!

Jennings J,-22

When my friend told me the story, I told him he was a jerk. That could be expected in a state like Maryland, but Arizona? He didn't know what happened to the guy, but they had someone come to the site and impound the car and they took him to the station in handcuffs.

So that started me thinking, what would happen in Maryland to someone arrested for carrying concealed? Could one expect to receive a prison sentence if he/she had an otherwise clean record? And if anyone is a cop, I'd be particularly interested in hearing from you.

Doesn't pass the smell test, beings AZ is a constitutional carry state. Must be more to this story.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Doesn't pass the smell test, beings AZ is a constitutional carry state. Must be more to this story.

Question that occurred to me- what was their PC for the search? It’s not something that everyone gets asked. And if legal to own firearms the gun would be legal even if not his, unless it came back stolen?

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    The charge is commonly referred to as "Wear Carry Conceal" and it is NOT a felony. Which is honestly part of the problem in Baltimore City. Thugs in the city are stopped carrying guns illegally all the time and they never get jail time because it is not a felony. It can make you a prohibited person. With a fairly clean record and no other circumstances involved, I have never heard of anyone getting jail time over this charge alone. You would be surprised how firearms are located, K9 hits on the car (don't need your consent, someone sees it, you're arrested for DUI, you are involved in a crash you go to the hospital and your car is blocking traffic so Police have to tow it, then an inventory search is done.

Anyway, the Maryland State Police gun center teaches law enforcement that if a concealed carrying citizen has a carry permit elsewhere and they are in the wrong zip code Police should not be enforcing that, vs the guy with a gun and drugs or the guy doing armed robberies... But for some, it's hard to convince to not charge when the law is very clear.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    So, no felons in Baltimore own/carry/shoot others? Whew...glad to hear that.
    One guy I knew used to say, "You can shoot them, but you can't eat them. It's against the law." I have no idea what he meant, but I assume he was ridiculing the laws in Washington, D.C. I used to work at the NRA, and it had a shooting range in the basement (only .22s allowed). I lived in Virginia and legally carried my Ruger Standard Auto in my leather satchel. I kept it in my lower drawer. Then, during lunch, I'd eat my sandwich and go downstairs, shoot, and it was great. I'd clean the gun once a week, and in the subway I never let the satchel out of my sight.

Years ago, I illegally carried a Rossi M88 to Washington, D.C. I almost left it home but took it at the last moment and put it in my right overcoat pocket. We went to a theater over by the waterside, and stayed to chat with one of the actors we knew. Afterwards, we returned to the car, which was in an underground garage. As we walked up to the right level, we spotted six "youths" who were sitting around a car talking. As we approached my car, these guys took note of us, and after a brief consultation, they began walking towards us. It was clear they had something on their minds. All I did was face them and pull the gun out just enough for them to see it.

They did, and they immediately stopped and, glaring at us, went back to their car. I opened the door for my lady friend, got in the car and got the hell out of Dodge. My hands were visibly shaking, but there were no cops around to protect us, and I was very grateful I had brought that pistol!

This is the Rossi 3-incher I carried. Small and holding only five shots,
    it did the trick.

I would not carry a Jennings.
    My Jennings never jammed. I carried it with no reservation and it still functions flawlessly. On the other hand I have a Davis P-32 that's garbage. I can get two shots out of it on good days, then I have to throw it. Horrible piece of junk! I had a Raven .25 that also was very reliable. I used to carry it on walks in the cemetery across the street where I lived. Open carry was fine in Kentucky.

Well, it's an old story. As I said, I was pissed at my friend's actions and I told him he was a jerk. The guy was a little older than I am now and he clearly didn't know the gat was there. Even if it had been loaded, one had to reach it from the back seat under the driver's seat.

We live in a new century, and I miss the days when one can go into a gun store or a pawn shop and shoot the breeze with other gun owners.

----

Furious George

May 10, 2010

Prior to becoming one of the first "shall issue" states in the mid-90's Arizona had no provision for concealed carry. None, zip - totally illegal.

Open carry was legal so locked, cocked and sitting on the dashboard was OK. Under the seat on in the glove compartment was NOT OK.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Question that occurred to me- what was their PC for the search? It’s not something that everyone gets asked. And if legal to own firearms the gun would be legal even if not his, unless it came back stolen?

You don't need PC to ask consent. That's why it's a consent search. You're asking for permission.
    Most people don't have the balls enough to just say no and then shut up.

Your original stop (Speeding, etc..) has to be over (Your ID given back and free to go) before they can ask consent.
    While getting your info they can ask if you have any contraband in the vehicle(you don't have to answer) but most will say no.
    So when he gives you your ticket and ID he will say " Since you said you didn't have any contraband, you don't mind if I search your vehicle do you?".
    Yes you do mind. And then it's time for you to leave and shut up at that point. Do not get into the conversation. You are free to go.

I was a cop in Arizona for a few years. From the limited info you've given I'll take a stab at it. First he was not arrested for the CCW as its legal to transport a concealed weapon without a license in Arizona. There is a requirement that anyone who has a concealed weapon in the vehicle has to tell law enforcement its there if they are stopped. That's what I will bet he got hemmed up for. If the vehicle is registered to him and he's driving it, the assumption is going to be that most normal people know what is in their car and he should have told them. But you don't have to take my word for it you can see the law here https://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1108s.pdf

Again, without knowing anything else about it, I would bet the son who he lends the car to is less than upstanding, and that's why they wanted to search the car. They are probably aware that he drives it and were hoping to get something out of it. If this is in fact the case, it paid off this time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One guy I knew used to say, "You can shoot them, but you can't eat them. It's against the law." I have no idea what he meant, but I assume he was ridiculing the laws in Washington, D.C. I used to work at the NRA, and it had a shooting range in the basement (only .22s allowed). I lived in Virginia and legally carried my Ruger Standard Auto in my leather satchel. I kept it in my lower drawer. Then, during lunch, I'd eat my sandwich and go downstairs, shoot, and it was great. I'd clean the gun once a week, and in the subway I never let the satchel out of my sight.

Years ago, I illegally carried a Rossi M88 to Washington, D.C. I almost left it home but took it at the last moment and put it in my right overcoat pocket. We went to a theater over by the waterside, and stayed to chat with one of the actors we knew. Afterwards, we returned to the car, which was in an underground garage. As we walked up to the right level, we spotted six "youths" who were sitting around a car talking. As we approached my car, these guys took note of us, and after a brief consultation, they began walking towards us. It was clear they had something on their minds. All I did was face them and pull the gun out just enough for them to see it.

They did, and they immediately stopped and, glaring at us, went back to their car. I opened the door for my lady friend, got in the car and got the hell out of Dodge. My hands were visibly shaking, but there were no cops around to protect us, and I was very grateful I had brought that pistol!

it did the trick.

My Jennings never jammed. I carried it with no reservation and it still functions flawlessly. On the other hand I have a Davis P-32 that's garbage. I can get two shots out of it on good days, then I have to throw it. Horrible piece of junk! I had a Raven .25 that also was very reliable. I used to carry it on walks in the cemetery across the street where I lived. Open carry was fine in Kentucky.

Well, it's an old story. As I said, I was pissed at my friend's actions and I told him he was a jerk. The guy was a little older than I am now and he clearly didn't know the gat was there. Even if it had been loaded, one had to reach it from the back seat under the driver's seat.

We live in a new century, and I miss the days when one can go into a gun store or a pawn shop and shoot the breeze with other gun owners.

----

Huh?

You can’t chat guns with people in gun shops now?

I guess I go to the wrong ones. I don’t go to gun stores often, but when I do 90% of the time I end up chatting guns with one or more of the guys there and/or employees/owner. Not just the gun I am looking at.

Probably half the neighborhood get togethers I go to I end up chatting guns or hunting (less often hunting) with one or more neighbors.

In Howard county.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Huh?

You can’t chat guns with people in gun shops now?

I guess I go to the wrong ones. I don’t go to gun stores often, but when I do 90% of the time I end up chatting guns with one or more of the guys there and/or employees/owner. Not just the gun I am looking at.

Used to chat; these days it's sometimes a case of waiting outside until enough customers leave to gain entrance.

Under that scenario, it's the height of anti-social to just hang around running one's mouth, while people are trying to get in and do business.

It's the new normal. Thank your local tyrant.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore

it did the trick.

----

During Freddy Gray rioting I came really close to taking my SP-101 with me on the trip through the city. If used, I didn't want shell casing's left behind. It's unnerving deciding between your safety and being a felon. At that time I worked moving cars on the harbor and would have faced Federal charges if that gun was discover in my car in the parking lot. Stupid Maryland tyrants.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    You can probably play the odds and carry illegally fairly safely. If you obey traffic laws and the police have no real reason to stop you, the odds are pretty good you will never get caught unless you go through some secure place with a magnetometer. BUT... the entire reason to carry is to be able to defend yourself, and if you defend yourself with an illegally carried firearm, they MD will make an example out of you, no doubt. Maybe you get lucky like Cold Steel did and you don't have to discharge it, and can slip away without drawing attention to yourself, but even then you might get picked up. It sucks, but that is the State we live in.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You can probably play the odds and carry illegally fairly safely. If you obey traffic laws and the police have no real reason to stop you, the odds are pretty good you will never get caught unless you go through some secure place with a magnetometer. BUT... the entire reason to carry is to be able to defend yourself, and if you defend yourself with an illegally carried firearm, they MD will make an example out of you, no doubt. It sucks, but that is the State we live in.

John Yossarian weeps

Major Major is inconsolable

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom