• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Badger1

MDS Supporter
    Jun 21, 2017
    I have a husqvarna 1640 that i bought c&r from simpson ltd. I have a modern scope on it right now but its a cool old gun. Very well made. The bluing is super nice and it has a nice walnut stock. It bought i t because it was in excellent shape and cheap. I believe this one is a 1964

Simpson is who I've been watching a lot

Googling Husqvarna 1640, and this is the first result, lol:
    https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-1640-1/
    Not sure about value and if the scope makes it worth-while. They seem to have others for less, without an optic... I don't know that $800 is considered cheap, but they have some for $400 without a scope that also look pretty nice.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Remington Model 8 and 81s, Winchester 1907 SLs, Savage 99s. Winchester 1895s, and many other classic and iconic hunting rifles are always in high demand on the collecting market.

I personally tend to look for sporting guns that are a hallmark in firearms engineering and manufacturing. For example, the 8/81 and 1907SL fill the "first successful sporting semi-autos" niche. The 1895 and Savage 99 fill the "iconic" lever-action niche. etc.

A good example (non rifle) is the Remington 878. Short time on the market. Arguably the first successful Remington self-regulating gas-operated auto-loading shotgun, and it has the unique distinction of being the only gun Remington ever made and allowed someone else to put their name on without any mention of Remington anywhere in the form of the Wards Western Field 600A-ERI. I have an example of both with the 600A-ERI actually beating out the Rem 878 in terms of usability given the full-length vent-rib and a few other little perks that it had standard vs the Remington tiered system.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Model 8 is on my list for sure. Half heartedly looked thus far, no decent examples at gun shows either.

If I were to go for an 1895 I'd probably want the Russian contract musket. Not the hunting pattern I know.

What are some older rifle manufacturers that get overlooked?

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Winchester model 54 and a old Mauser that Griffin and Howe prettied up and rebarreled to 30-06 in 1932 are my current favorites .

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Well the Krag is pretty close to out of the box carbine with better sights. The 03A3 was completely rebuilt, all that remains is the action and even that had a hinged floorplate and scope ready safety. Love the old Command Post glass and Fagen stock. Aftermarket barrel but no idea who's. I like this more than either of my model 70's.

Attachments

• IMG_4189.jpg
      IMG_4189.jpg
      130.1 KB · Views: 268
    • IMG_4190.jpg
      IMG_4190.jpg
      88.6 KB · Views: 277
    • IMG_4192.jpg
      IMG_4192.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 269
    • IMG_4194.jpg
      IMG_4194.jpg
      112.2 KB · Views: 266

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or you could take the opposite approach from Talon in seeking iconic guns .

Lots of private labels , and arms companies that weren't primarily makers of centerfire bolt actions , but wanted to add one to their product lines didn't invest in R&D and tooling to reinvent the wheel . They outsourced the actions/ barreled actions , and did their own interpretations of stocking . Initially various commercial Mausers , transitioning to primarily Howa , and Mark X today. ( Here's looking at you W'by Vangaurd , Remington M798, and '70s- '80s S&W .)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

Lots of private labels , and arms companies that weren't primarily makers of centerfire bolt actions , but wanted to add one to their product lines didn't invest in R&D and tooling to reinvent the wheel . They outsourced the actions/ barreled actions , and did their own interpretations of stocking . Initially various commercial Mausers , transitioning to primarily Howa , and Mark X today. ( Here's looking at you W'by Vangaurd , Remington M798, and '70s- '80s S&W .)

Howa makes damn fine rifles. I shot my cousins years ago and was amazed that I clipped a dime with it. Honestly sort of forgot about them, good call.

What rifles did S&W make?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Well the Krag is pretty close to out of the box carbine with better sights. The 03A3 was completely rebuilt, all that remains is the action and even that had a hinged floorplate and scope ready safety. Love the old Command Post glass and Fagen stock. Aftermarket barrel but no idea who's. I like this more than either of my model 70's.

The mounts are pretty neat on the A3.
    Dovetailed right to the scope tube it looks like.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.

Attachments

• 20201130_194445.jpg
      20201130_194445.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 230
    • 20201130_194429.jpg
      20201130_194429.jpg
      81.1 KB · Views: 223
    • 20201130_194412.jpg
      20201130_194412.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 222
    • 20201130_194352.jpg
      20201130_194352.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 227
    • 20201130_194259.jpg
      20201130_194259.jpg
      72.1 KB · Views: 227
    • 20201130_194330.jpg
      20201130_194330.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 224

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I have a special place in my heart for private label guns. Especially the old "Hardware" or "Dept. Store" variety. That's actually what got me into the Rem 878s. I picked up that Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI from an online auction out of Ohio several years ago. Turned out to be the best purchase I've ever made as I put away more pheasants and chukar with that than any of my fancier shotguns, even the "real" 878 I picked up on consignment from United last year or the year before.

There are several lists of the crossover from name brand to private label out there, though the Blue Book copy that is widely available has at least one issue of known errata in it.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I have a special place in my heart for private label guns. Especially the old "Hardware" or "Dept. Store" variety. That's actually what got me into the Rem 878s. I picked up that Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI from an online auction out of Ohio several years ago. Turned out to be the best purchase I've ever made as I put away more pheasants and chukar with that than any of my fancier shotguns, even the "real" 878 I picked up on consignment from United last year or the year before.

There are several lists of the crossover from name brand to private label out there, though the Blue Book copy that is widely available has at least one issue of known errata in it.

MexicanBob had a J C Penney shotgun for sale a while ago. Kicking myself for not picking it up.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    MexicanBob had a J C Penney shotgun for sale a while ago. Kicking myself for not picking it up.

Know what type it was?

I've found that the private-label stuff usually brings less money at auction, which is great as it means you can grab a real classic for a lot less money.

The other thing to look for are the "blue-collar" grades of various name-brand firearms. The hardware/dept. store private labels definitely fit the bill here, but gun makers also had a habit, especially in the first half of the last century, of making less expensive versions of their signature lines with another name on them. This is especially true of the American double-gun market but also spilled over into the rifle world as well. Double-gun examples are LeFever from Ithaca, Riverside, Springfield, Cumberland, and many others from Stevens, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The S&W M1500 , back in the Bangor Punta era .

Long and short Howa 1500 actions , in all the popular calibers of the day .

The Standard model had iron sights , and Classic- ish stock with basic grade Walnut . The Deluxe model had no sights , slightly nicer Walnut , Monte Carlo stock, hand cut checkering

And then there were the S&W shotguns .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom