• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I have a 9mm lower from spikes, I figured I'd finish it with their 5.5" 9mm upper for reliability/completeness. They're backordered 8 months out so I figured I'll be able to afford it then.

The bill is coming out to $940 + $22 freight, which seems a little steep to me. Is it worth the price? Could another company's upper work just as well on my spikes 9mm lower? I figure this lower can only accept a 9mm upper so I should get a good one, buy once cry once...

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    sub'd, because i have a spikes AR9 lower as well, and i want a matching spikes upper, i'm not in any rush to get it so i dont mind waiting... but open to others if they are reliable/decent quality, i want a little longer barrel though, and suppressed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Go with the CMMG RDB system. MUCH better than direct blowback.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    If it takes Glock mags it should work.
    Yeah it does take Glock mags.

I'm a wee bit concerned about compatibility - do AR-9 lowers have the same problems as AR-10, where there is no military standard, so switching up manufacturers will lead to problems?

I would think since it's just a standard AR-15 lower with a Glock-sized magwell this shouldn't be an issue, but I've heard some complaints about reliability in AR-9s.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    They didn't say how much it is when you ordered?
    The price jumped up from what was on their website. Idk if that's oversight on my part, but with an 8 month backorder, it's no huge loss for them if I cancel now. The backorder is so long they aren't demanding payment until the product arrives.

I'm not complaining about their price. I'm just asking the community if there's a better alternative considering I could buy multiple handguns for the price they're demanding.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    CMMG is the way, but realize it may not work with every Glock mag lower out of the box. If you use the ARC mags with the inserts on a standard AR lower, you should be in good shape.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I'm building a 9mm upper for my Spike's lower, and I'm at a little over $550 using all Spikes parts (except an Aero HG) and not including the sights.

The Spike's bolt is definitly the most expensive part at $170, but I tried another cheaper 9mm BCG and it wouldnt stay on the bolt catch.

I can post my build list if you'd like.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    CMMG is the way, but realize it may not work with every Glock mag lower out of the box. If you use the ARC mags with the inserts on a standard AR lower, you should be in good shape.
    This upper would be exclusively for an AR-9 lower with a Glock sized magwell. I would entertain the thought of buying separate mags if I ever temporarily swapped to a standard lower, but this upper must function flawlessly with a Spike's AR-9 lower. I've never built an AR-9 so I'm not sure what my odds are with another mfr's upper.

In case someone's reading this thinking I'm a cheapskate, I'm not trying to be. I'm just hoping there's other solutions that don't cost $1k.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    I'm building a 9mm upper for my Spike's lower, and I'm at a little over $550 using all Spikes parts (except an Aero HG) and not including the sights.

The Spike's bolt is definitly the most expensive part at $170, but I tried another cheaper 9mm BCG and it wouldnt stay on the bolt catch.

I can post my build list if you'd like.
    What parts do you think must be from spikes? Do you think just buying the bolt from them would get me by, and I can cheap out on everything else (or at least go with a different mfr)? I'm thinking the bolt and barrel are the things I should spend the most money on.

Feel free to post build list

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    What parts do you think must be from spikes? Do you think just buying the bolt from them would get me by, and I can cheap out on everything else (or at least go with a different mfr)? I'm thinking the bolt and barrel are the things I should spend the most money on.

I'd say go Spike's bolt for sure, maybe barrel and upper receiver also to play it safe.

Be careful if you go with someone else for the upper. Some companies put the LRBHO on the upper, which isnt compatible with the LRBHO on the Spike's lower.

Build list:
    - Spike's 9mm upper
    - Spikes 8.5" barrel
    - Aero 9" Atlas handguard
    - Spike's 9mm bcg
    - Spike's 9mm Glock lower
    - Damage Industries pistol buffer tube with Spike's 9mm buffer

Will let you know how it runs onces all the parts show up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom