• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Just went Ground Hog hunting on state land in Calvert County that is shotgun only for deer, when I asked DNR if my 223 WSSM was ok they said absolutely.

Huh?!? I've been missing out on some Ground Hog goodness in my own backyard?? Please, do tell...

Flash

Jan 1, 2008
    Adams County Pa.
    Actually if you have a ccw permit you can use that in place of the sportsman permit for carrying the dispatch weapon. The key here is carrying it cased until needed is considered concealed even if unloaded, so if you don't a ccw lisc, you must get a sportsman permit. They changed the law on the ccw and hunting just 2 years ago or so, you can carry a semi auto while hunting for ccw ONLY, not to be used to hunt with or put game down with unless it is a single shot or revolver. Nowhere have I found anything stating a semi auto is ok for trapline dispatch, only for shotguns for hunting small game and birds. Care to share the PA game code statute that defines type of weapon allowed for trapline use? I have been at a PA hunting board for many years and asked these questions, as have others, and had WCO's answer us among others. None has ever said you could use a semi auto for the trapline.

As to open carrying the dispatch handgun, I have been told differing things, but it sounds like you need a sportsmans or ccw permit regardless since the activity is defined as hunting.
    There isn't a code necessary since the act will be strictly trapping. The semi can be carried with a sportsman's permit and even during fishing. This implies that you are using the semi for protection from game and not for shooting fish. When you have a trapping license, you can carry a semi with the proper sportsman's permit for rabid racoons and such and it will be for your own protection. There isn't a firearm law for dispatching a trapped animal so long as you have a sportsman's permit to carry it. I know that you can use a CCW permit in place of the sportsman's permit but you inplied that someone can get a permit in 20 minutes and also ANYONE can carry concealed. Plus, it is illegal to dispatch a trapped animal with a protection weapon. All three are incorrect. I live here!

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    Huh?!? I've been missing out on some Ground Hog goodness in my own backyard?? Please, do tell...

We were down at Kings Landing, what a nice place with plenty of land...I will do it again when I get time.
    We only shot two but there were holes everywhere.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    We shoot them here on the Shore also.

ultimatevarmint.jpg

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    Theres a monster of a whistle pig 150 yards or so away from my place in my father-in-law's cow pasture. He seems to have good timing to be out only when he knows I can't get a clear shot at him.

Last edited:

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Theres a monster of a whistle pig 150 yards or so away from my place in my father-in-law's cow pasture. He seems to have good timing to be out only when he knows I can't get a clear shot at him.

I would take the time to come down and we could set up sniper positions and just wait. I might even be willing to pay for fun like that.

DemoDave

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 25, 2008
    Cookeysville
    The key phrase is Baltimore County is "Metropolitan District". Almost all of the county is classified as a metropolitan district now.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    Dad used to keep a Savage 340 with 30-30 sabot loads beside the back door for the groundhog that made his home under the back shed. Never got the little bastard.

Then there was the time he went after he chipmunk behind the pool with a revolver with birdshot. Unfortunately, it was during a small family gathering and my cousin decided to play activist and run out in front of him as he was aiming! Then she stomped out in a huff, proclaiming she would never visit again. We were all OK with that, and then her Mom had to go ruin it by making her apologize (first time in her life).

medic87

Apr 27, 2008
    Az
    That is correct - the only semi-autos allowed are shotguns for small game

In addition, the minimum caliber is .24, I believe, for large game.

The basic reason is that PA never had a problem getting the harvest they needed while simultaneously keeping relatively strict weapons limits - for instance, when I was a kid Muzzleloader season meant flintlocks and round ball. Period. No caplocks, no minnie balls, and for-the-love-of-all-that's-holy no inline ignition.

Another reason is that PA used to have one MILLION hunters go into the woods on first day - it's one of the largest arms invasions in history, and it happens every year. In this situation, the ability to go all Machine Gun Charlie isn't necessarily safe.

Things are changing though - like all religions, the Pennsylvania Rite is losing adherents, and the deer population is growing. They are even considering - wait for it - HUNTING ON SUNDAYS! It is truly the first dign of the Deerpocalypse!

When I found out y'all couldn't hunt on Sundays (I'm from Tx) it nearly floored me.:eek: To me, it just aint Sunday unless you've got a got a deer in a tree out back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom