• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    For the final board meeting of the year at the school where I'm contracted, I did a roasted whole beef tenderloin with morel & port-wine demiglace and pickled ramps. It was delicious.

We were walking through the woods near our house here in MD the other day and I commented to my wife that I wished we were back "home" in WV looking for ramps and fiddleheads.

I keep a jar of JQ Dickinson's ramp salt next to the stove at all times.

For those not in the know, this is what we're talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum

Us Appalachians have been foraging for them and eating them for centuries, it's only been recently as some of us have made it out into more metropolitan areas in the culinary world that they've been discovered by epicureans which has driven up demand.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    For the final board meeting of the year at the school where I'm contracted, I did a roasted whole beef tenderloin with morel & port-wine demiglace and pickled ramps. It was delicious.

We were walking through the woods near our house here in MD the other day and I commented to my wife that I wished we were back "home" in WV looking for ramps and fiddleheads.

I keep a jar of JQ Dickinson's ramp salt next to the stove at all times.

For those not in the know, this is what we're talking about: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum

Us Appalachians have been foraging for them and eating them for centuries, it's only been recently as some of us have made it out into more metropolitan areas in the culinary world that they've been discovered by epicureans which has driven up demand.

Molly Moochers (aka morels) should be popping up any day now. I'll get out into the woods this weekend to look for them.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    When we were kids at my parents house in Severna Park they would grow wild all around our front and back yard. I guess we weren't one of those neighbors that really tried to have a golf coarse manicured lawn. We would have typical back yard wrestling matches and one of the punishments for losing was being forced to eat those wild onions as we would call them. I've never had them by choice but now I'm curious. They do not grow wild where I am not in Ellicott City as far as I've seen. You can buy them fresh at H-Mart they are labeled "Wild Garlic".

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    We picked a ton for about a week or so then they disappeared. Might get another crack at them if it ever warms up!!!!

We haven't had any luck at all; think we might have missed the window. It has been raining non-stop here so there hasn't been very many opportunities to go out looking for them. We've had 7.5" of rain so far this month and it is snowing outside right at this moment.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I pickled 4 quarts (about 4 lbs) of freshly gathered ramps yesterday.

I soak them for 2 hours in 12 cups of water with a cup of pickling salt mixed in.
    When done rinse very well in a colander.
    Bring to a boil in large pot: 6 cups white vinegar, 3 cups apple cider vinegar, 6 cups of sugar, 4 tablespoons of yellow mustard seed, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 8 whole cloves and about a dozen chopped hot peppers of your choice (I used habenero). Pack the cleaned ramps into 6-1 quart sterilized canning jars with 1 teaspoon of pickling crisp per jar and ladle in the still boiling liquid into each jar until ramps are covered (about 1/2" from the top). Put the lids on and let sit for at least 2 weeks before using.

I wonder what taste of garlic would be to much. I ask because i buy pickled asparagus they use some garlic .

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    We haven't had any luck at all; think we might have missed the window. It has been raining non-stop here so there hasn't been very many opportunities to go out looking for them. We've had 7.5" of rain so far this month and it is snowing outside right at this moment.
    Right cold here too. No snow though.

Had taters, onions and ramps a couple times recently. Also put some in a big kettle of chicken soup.

The rest are going in an omelet or a meatloaf.

Pretty damned delicious.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Right cold here too. No snow though.

Had taters, onions and ramps a couple times recently. Also put some in a big kettle of chicken soup.

The rest are going in an omelet or a meatloaf.

Pretty damned delicious.
    :thumbsup:

I put ramps on nearly everything from burgers and sandwiches to fish and spaghetti.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom