• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I was reading in a PA forum somewhere when googling where some people said semi auto rifles are not allowed to be used for hunting in PA. Is this true?

Do you agree with this?

Personally I think it is silly law if it is really law.

R2.0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2008
    That is correct - the only semi-autos allowed are shotguns for small game

In addition, the minimum caliber is .24, I believe, for large game.

The basic reason is that PA never had a problem getting the harvest they needed while simultaneously keeping relatively strict weapons limits - for instance, when I was a kid Muzzleloader season meant flintlocks and round ball. Period. No caplocks, no minnie balls, and for-the-love-of-all-that's-holy no inline ignition.

Another reason is that PA used to have one MILLION hunters go into the woods on first day - it's one of the largest arms invasions in history, and it happens every year. In this situation, the ability to go all Machine Gun Charlie isn't necessarily safe.

Things are changing though - like all religions, the Pennsylvania Rite is losing adherents, and the deer population is growing. They are even considering - wait for it - HUNTING ON SUNDAYS! It is truly the first dign of the Deerpocalypse!

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    probley is law some places including delaware and some places in md you cant hunt with a rifle let alone a semi. it's shotgun only. i have no problem hunting with semis and in fact took 2 nice does last year with my ar!

I think in Delaware you can use a rifle on varmint and tree rats.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    probley is law some places including delaware and some places in md you cant hunt with a rifle let alone a semi. it's shotgun only. i have no problem hunting with semis and in fact took 2 nice does last year with my ar!
    I believe you can use semi auto shotguns in shotgun only areas for deer. I think Jim sr. should know about that.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think in Delaware you can use a rifle on varmint and tree rats.
    In MD I think it is legal to use any rifle on certain game in every part of the state besides maybe the city of Baltimore which I think doesn't allow hunting. I don't think MD says anything about a rifle being semi auto or not.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That is correct - the only semi-autos allowed are shotguns for small game

In addition, the minimum caliber is .24, I believe, for large game.

The basic reason is that PA never had a problem getting the harvest they needed while simultaneously keeping relatively strict weapons limits - for instance, when I was a kid Muzzleloader season meant flintlocks and round ball. Period. No caplocks, no minnie balls, and for-the-love-of-all-that's-holy no inline ignition.

Another reason is that PA used to have one MILLION hunters go into the woods on first day - it's one of the largest arms invasions in history, and it happens every year. In this situation, the ability to go all Machine Gun Charlie isn't necessarily safe.

Things are changing though - like all religions, the Pennsylvania Rite is losing adherents, and the deer population is growing. They are even considering - wait for it - HUNTING ON SUNDAYS! It is truly the first dign of the Deerpocalypse!
    Interesting, thanks.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    In MD I think it is legal to use any rifle on certain game in every part of the state besides maybe the city of Baltimore which I think doesn't allow hunting. I don't think MD says anything about a rifle being semi auto or not.

In MD, some places are shotgun only. Most of MD is rifle.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    PA is idiotic, if I had a walther p22 it would be illegal to use to shoot a trapped raccoon. Yet residents have 20 min ccw's, and anyone can open carry without a permit.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    in MD, areas where rifles are allowed include semi-auto, only stipulation is that you can only load 8 rounds, there is no limit on potential capacity (beta mag is ok, as long as only 8 are loaded). Im planning on using my NM garand this fall, and want to hunt in MD, but have to figue out MD hunting laws for non-residents (I'm soon to escape to PA)

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I believe you can use semi auto shotguns in shotgun only areas for deer. I think Jim sr. should know about that.
    Deer hunters using shotguns must use a pumpkin ball, rifled slug or sabot. Buckshot may not be used to hunt deer except in Dorchester County, where #1 size buckshot or larger may be used. The use of shotguns smaller than 20 gauge for deer hunting is not permitted.

Rifles used for deer hunting must use ammunition developing a muzzle energy of at least 1,200 foot pounds.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/2007_2008_guide.pdf

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    In MD, some places are shotgun only. Most of MD is rifle.
    I haven't seen where it is shotgun only for some game like Nutria or Possum. I thought anywhere in the state you can fire a gun for hunting you can use a rifle for some game that is not deer.
    In other words, the only restriction I have seen so far for the use of rifles in some counties is for only deer hunting.

I have wondered if my assumption is correct for a while now. If you can find something in the regulations or code that says different and the county rifle restrictions are not just for deer hunting, then I will greatly appreciate it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    There are no rifles allowed in baltimore county. Only shotguns and muzzle's

I just got finished looking at Baltimore County code, I only read some parts, but I saw nothing that says county wide no rifles are allowed. Just "Metropolitan Districts".
    § 17-2-101. DISCHARGING FIREARM OR WEAPON IN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun within:

(1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;

(2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or

(3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.

(b) Duty to post metropolitan district. The Police Department shall post in the county courthouse and in every police station and substation throughout the county, accurate maps designating the locations of the boundary lines of the metropolitan district established according to the Code.

(c) Exception. This section does not prohibit:

(1) A licensed hunter from discharging a shotgun, properly hunting in season using a shotgun that contains no heavier than No. 2 shot; or

(2) A person from discharging or firing a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun:

(i) On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department;

(ii) When reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property; or

(iii) As part of a military occasion when the discharge is done under the orders of a commanding officer.

(d) Automatic weapons.

(1) In this subsection “automatic weapon” means any weapon capable of firing multiple shots with one depression of the trigger.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge an automatic weapon in the county.

(1988 Code, § 20-41) (Bill No. 169-93, § 1, 1-27-1994; Bill No. 114-99, § 3, 7-1-2004; Bill No. 13-00, § 1, 3-10-2000; Bill No. 73-03, § 22, 7-1-2004)

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/baltimore_co/baltimorecountycode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:baltimoreco_md

Flash

Jan 1, 2008
    Adams County Pa.
    PA is idiotic, if I had a walther p22 it would be illegal to use to shoot a trapped raccoon. Yet residents have 20 min ccw's, and anyone can open carry without a permit.

You are mistaken and misinformed. You need a sportsman's permit to hunt with a handgun or you're breaking the law. The permit only allows open carry but you must be 21 to have a permit. A semiautomatic handgun can be used legally to dispatch a trapped animal, providing you are a licensed trapper and aren't hunting and have the necessary sportsman permit.:rolleyes:

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    any non-Md resident duck hunters out there, if so be ware. apparently there is something in the state code and regulations manual that say non resident duck hunters are required to hunt ducks with someone that has a resident liscense. my dads friend got gigged on this this past season, they gave him a warning AND showed him the book when they got off the water. it is true

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    You are mistaken and misinformed. You need a sportsman's permit to hunt with a handgun or you're breaking the law. The permit only allows open carry but you must be 21 to have a permit. A semiautomatic handgun can be used legally to dispatch a trapped animal, providing you are a licensed trapper and aren't hunting and have the necessary sportsman permit.:rolleyes:

Actually if you have a ccw permit you can use that in place of the sportsman permit for carrying the dispatch weapon. The key here is carrying it cased until needed is considered concealed even if unloaded, so if you don't a ccw lisc, you must get a sportsman permit. They changed the law on the ccw and hunting just 2 years ago or so, you can carry a semi auto while hunting for ccw ONLY, not to be used to hunt with or put game down with unless it is a single shot or revolver. Nowhere have I found anything stating a semi auto is ok for trapline dispatch, only for shotguns for hunting small game and birds. Care to share the PA game code statute that defines type of weapon allowed for trapline use? I have been at a PA hunting board for many years and asked these questions, as have others, and had WCO's answer us among others. None has ever said you could use a semi auto for the trapline.

As to open carrying the dispatch handgun, I have been told differing things, but it sounds like you need a sportsmans or ccw permit regardless since the activity is defined as hunting.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I haven't seen where it is shotgun only for some game like Nutria or Possum. I thought anywhere in the state you can fire a gun for hunting you can use a rifle for some game that is not deer.
    In other words, the only restriction I have seen so far for the use of rifles in some counties is for only deer hunting.

I have wondered if my assumption is correct for a while now. If you can find something in the regulations or code that says different and the county rifle restrictions are not just for deer hunting, then I will greatly appreciate it.

Just went Ground Hog hunting on state land in Calvert County that is shotgun only for deer, when I asked DNR if my 223 WSSM was ok they said absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom