• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I am embarrassed and ashamed to see so many whingers about losing a bit of sleep by their own damn phones they willingly left turned on in their own damn homes.

If you've ever used the word "snowflake" at someone else, you should be too when you look at yourselves in the mirror the next time.

I'm kind of shocked after two more pages of posts no one has put you under the hot lights and lie detector to swear your allegiance to 2A

Mr H

Banana'd
    I've never heard so many grown men complain so much about not getting their 8 hours. Are you guys getting woken up every night from amber alerts? I can't imagine it happens frequently. Man up.

Is this the part where I talk about working 11p shift, run a business by day, and squeeze in all my sleep between 6 and 10PM?

No?

How about working 8p to 4a, have 2 energetic boys during the day, and still find ways to nap my way through the day...

I've learned to love my sleep in the years following, but we all get interrupted, and by some of the stupidest crap possible.

"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A dysfunctional family situation in Maryland doesn't require alerting everyone in the state with a cell phone. I don't care if it's 430AM or 430PM. Hell's bells, there's 50,000 possible alerts just from Baltimore.

That's just pointless.

Just because you CAN do something like this doesn't mean that you SHOULD. If you disagree with my position, why not alert the entire state? SOMEone has to do something; maybe activate the Tactical Social Worker Squad.

Last edited:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    My phone...my wife's phone...my neighbor's phone....my sister's phone...my mother's phone...

Yeah it's just me.

Then it is something weird with the system and your area. I have personal and work cells on different carriers. Both got the original and neither got a repeat. No family members or friends got the repeat either.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Then it is something weird with the system and your area. I have personal and work cells on different carriers. Both got the original and neither got a repeat. No family members or friends got the repeat either.

Well, my whole family got both alerts...let me repeat that again, MY WHOLE FAMILY GOT BOTH ALERTS, and once awake, neither my wife nor myself can get back to sleep. Can someone tell me how a sleeping population can give information or find Amber Alert kids? Road messaging boards and radio (every car's got one!) are the answer as that is the population who are on the roads and who can really assist in finding kids who are abducted and being transited by vehicle.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Lol sounds like I was spot on with your “employment”

Nope. I was giving you a chance to think over your words. I've never been a gov employee, unless you count 20+ years active duty.

Back to your words... this is MD, so a good part of the work force is federal. Including a number of this community you just joined. And you just called them parasites. Way to make friends and influence people. Now that you know, go ahead and insult me for being retired mil too.

Get back to me about beauty sleep after you work 12-16hrs a day 7 days a week for a couple months.

Is that the best you've got? :D

Try 16 hours, 7 days a week for 6 months. Then after a couple months of an 'almost normal' schedule you do it for another 6 months. Then another. And another.

Or 4 years of straight 2/2/2 & 80 at a remote site. That's 2 day shifts, after 7 hours off you do 2 eve shifts, 7 hours off and 2 mids. 80 hours off and start the 2 days again. You will never have a normal sleep pattern because you're always playing catch up.

I wish I got 8 hours. More like 6

Mr night shift would flip shit if someone woken him up in the middle of the day

Happens every day. I get 3-4 hours most mornings, then every once in a while I get 8-9 hrs hard sleep to 'catch up'. And I don't work 'nights', I work afternoons but usually leave halfway into a night shift.

Cryptotek1

May 1, 2017
    Is this the part where I talk about working 11p shift, run a business by day, and squeeze in all my sleep between 6 and 10PM?

No?

How about working 8p to 4a, have 2 energetic boys during the day, and still find ways to nap my way through the day...

I've learned to love my sleep in the years following, but we all get interrupted, and by some of the stupidest crap possible.

"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

Doesn't sound like a random amber alert is the problem. Many of us have busy, hectic lives. Even so, it's an amber alert. You'll survive. I could see if this was happening frequently but its not. So again, man up.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Well, my whole family got both alerts...let me repeat that again, MY WHOLE FAMILY GOT BOTH ALERTS, and once awake, neither my wife nor myself can get back to sleep. Can someone tell me how a sleeping population can give information or find Amber Alert kids? Road messaging boards and radio (every car's got one!) are the answer as that is the population who are on the roads and who can really assist in finding kids who are abducted and being transited by vehicle.

No one at my house got a dupe alert... as others have said, probably a glitch in the system, or someone screwed up. This is a valid complaint and it should be fixed.

But as I pointed out earlier, cars may have radios, but many (maybe most?) people don't listen to local radio anymore. You have people listening to SiriusXM satellite radio, which you can't target with local alerts, and you have people streaming their own playlists and listening to mp3's on their phones.

This is why the cell phone alert system exists... the days of reaching a majority of the population with an 'emergency broadcast system' via tv & radio are over.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I believe that I may have gotten the message twice, but I had my phone turned off until around 0430 so I get buffered messages. I think that a possible reason for the first message may have been the violence that took place with the abduction. This wasn't a simple case of mom or dad didn't bring him back after weekend visitation. This was an attack on the grandparents by a group of people abducting the child.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Seems to me if you're looking for information on a vehicle involved in an abduction an Amber Alert would be more effective when most people are on the road, say 6 to 8am instead of 4:30.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    What was the excuse for sending the alarm again at 4:30 this morning....the day after the kid was found?

It was probably a carrier hiccup. No one in my house got it a second time, but I've seen the same text message get delivered multiple times every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom