• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    FWIW, I got two alerts.

BTW, I've found that you must respond that you rec'd the alert; otherwise they'll keep sending them. Found that out a couple months ago, after an earlier, different alert. I'm sure I entered the proper response to the first of this series. The second alert came hours later.

I have T-mobile, if it matters.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    FWIW, I got two alerts.

BTW, I've found that you must respond that you rec'd the alert; otherwise they'll keep sending them. Found that out a couple months ago, after an earlier, different alert. I'm sure I entered the proper response to the first of this series. The second alert came hours later.

I have T-mobile, if it matters.

Same here Bob on all counts. I responded properly to the first one and got the same alert the next morning.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Didn’t read all the pages of comments, but damn, you guys ain’t up at 4:30?
    I was up, and almost walking out the door, on my way to work, when it went off. Hurried up and shut it off, as to not wake up the family. Just as I shut mine off, I heard both of there phones going off. Lol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I wouldn't give a flying rats testicle if it was in Arizona. If it was my kid I'd want every damned person on the planet aware that someone had taken him from me.

It woke me up, it woke my wife up. We have a 1 and 3 year old that we're going to get us up at 6. I'll gladly give an hour or two of my sleep for someone to have the best possible chance of finding their kid.

The point of the OP was, that by sending it out at a time when most people were asleep will cause many of those people to turn off the alerts.

Thus degrading the whole idea behind them.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, if it just saves 1 child.

1) Save one child by killing how many people with collisions as they are looking at the phones while driving?

2) If that is the criteria, why not make EVERY car on the road come to a stop, so the police and see who is moving and key in on them?

Heck, let's require remote kill switches in all cars, so the police can make every car stop moving, so they can slowly drive around and look of this one car.

You seem to be fine with ANY response to save ONE CHILD.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I was sound asleep and jumped out of bed thinking bad things as I reached for my bedside sidearm.

At the end of the day it’s about the kids safety so no animosity here.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    1) Save one child by killing how many people with collisions as they are looking at the phones while driving?

2) If that is the criteria, why not make EVERY car on the road come to a stop, so the police and see who is moving and key in on them?

Heck, let's require remote kill switches in all cars, so the police can make every car stop moving, so they can slowly drive around and look of this one car.

You may not nave caught the undertone of sarcasm employed.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    I got one recently that woke me up out of a sound sleep and I was pissed. Why do I have to suffer for other people's bad life choices?

The text was so absurd, and hit all the stereotypes so strongly that I actually took a screenshot because it just had to be some manner of offensive racist comedy.

IMG_1385.PNG

FoxSlayer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 8, 2020

Yup.

That same premise is used for gun control. Bs tsa etc

FoxSlayer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 8, 2020
    Didn’t read all the pages of comments, but damn, you guys ain’t up at 4:30?
    I was up, and almost walking out the door, on my way to work, when it went off. Hurried up and shut it off, as to not wake up the family. Just as I shut mine off, I heard both of there phones going off. Lol.

What time do you get off work ? What time do you sleep. Start working 6 or 7 till 9 or 1030 every day and get back to me

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    What time do you get off work ? What time do you sleep. Start working 6 or 7 till 9 or 1030 every day and get back to me

It was a joke. But since you asked during the week I leave my house around 4:45 am, and if I’m lucky I’m home by 5:00pm. Some days, especially in the summer, all bets are off of when I might get home.
    Then throw in a Saturday here and there, working those same hours. Been doing it for over 24 years now.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I got one recently that woke me up out of a sound sleep and I was pissed. Why do I have to suffer for other people's bad life choices?

The text was so absurd, and hit all the stereotypes so strongly that I actually took a screenshot because it just had to be some manner of offensive racist comedy.

IMG_1385.PNG

If someone tried to put that on Twitter, it would be flagged as 'violating community standards'.
    I think the 'Chrysler 300 with large rims' was a nice touch to round out the picture.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Here's the response from my inquiry.

Thank you for your concern regarding the Amber Alert issued on October 16, 2020 by the Maryland State Police. The Amber Alert was activated at the request of the Anne Arundel County Police Department.

Usually, a delay in the Amber Alert activation, is due in part to investigative information being developed from the time the abduction occurred. Developing investigative information from victims/complainants during these traumatic incidents in which a child had been abducted/harmed are time sensitive to the recovery of the child, but each circumstance differs and may take an extend period of time due to injuries to the victim, the psychological impacts on the victim from involvement in a traumatic incident, and a multitude of other investigative factors.

Maryland’s Amber Alert activation plan is only activated when death and bodily injury is eminent. Without stating case facts, per the requesting department, we can only advise there were circumstances that warranted activation. The Maryland State Police uses due diligence when activating the Amber Alert. Amber Alerts had been requested twenty-one times during calendar year 2020 and only three had met the criteria for activation.

The Amber Alert is a state-wide activation system and cannot be activated in one county, hence, mobile phone providers have offered functions to Turn Off the alerts and/or offer Do Not Disturb functions on your phone, so that you are not inconvenienced.

Many Marylander’s are employed by companies that are 24-hour establishments and are extra eyes and ears for law enforcement during these critical times. Marylander’s work throughout early morning hours, rotating shifts, and as they traverse across the state, they are often in a position to see something and say something in an effort to assist law enforcement.

The Amber Alert in this instance worked and the abductor, who also received the Amber Alert, turned themselves in to the police and the child was recovered unharmed.

In closing, I would like to thank you for your email and for bringing this matter to the Department’s attention. The Department values its relationship with the citizens we serve. If you should have any additional questions regarding this matter please do not hesitate to contact the Maryland State Police.

Deborah Flory
    Sergeant
    Maryland Department of State Police
    Child Recovery Unit
    7155 C Columbia Gateway Drive
    Columbia, Maryland 21046
    deborah.flory@maryland.gov
    (410) 953-8200 (Office)
    (410) 290-1831 (Fax)
    Website | Facebook | Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics