• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I had to braze an old magazine due to multiple splits forming around the top. After sanding the extra off it filled beautifully and fits the mag well. Haven’t been able to function test yet since ammo hasn’t arrived. The magazine is for an old 32 ACP. I can’t imagine it having much tension with only 7 rounds.
    Should I worry about the feed lips being out of temper? If so, how would I get it back into temper? I was thinking of dunking it into molten lead for a few minutes next time I cast.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Are these magazines rare and not replaceable?
    I would never trust hobbyist repair work when life is at stake.
    If it's just a range gun, play all you want.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    It’s not going to be a carry piece. The magazines are kinda rare at $85 on gunbroker. Just trying to conserve it at this point. Good condition and good spring except it was splitting down the front and the rear corners. I’ve got two of these guns and worked on the worst of the two magazines. The other one has a minor crack down just one corner on the back.

I just didn’t want to constantly bend the lips over and over again since the steel is now soft.

letmeoutpax

Nov 12, 2013
    St. Mary's
    It’s not going to be a carry piece. The magazines are kinda rare at $85 on gunbroker. Just trying to conserve it at this point. Good condition and good spring except it was splitting down the front and the rear corners. I’ve got two of these guns and worked on the worst of the two magazines. The other one has a minor crack down just one corner on the back.

I just didn’t want to constantly bend the lips over and over again since the steel is now soft.

You don't want to temper it you want to harden it then temper it. Needs to get much hotter than molten lead. The lead treatment would come after that.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Can't speak to your mag specifically but with mp5 mags as expensive as they are, I have tig welded cracked feed lips (usually at the rear corners adjacent the bolt clearance cut). Never went heavy on the pedal and always worked slow. Did nothing to them after (no temper). Several are still in the practice box after years of post repair use.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardened_steel

To me, the issue is, if you brazed it, you can do whatever your want to the steel, but the ultimate strength becomes the brazing metal.

If you are talking about the lips deforming, why not use it and see if there is an issue? If it is older, there may not have been much hardening/tempering done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom