What happens to cerakote if heated with torch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomK

Apr 26, 2020
    I have a stripped AR upper with thick cerakote, and it turns out my barrel won’t fit. I was going to freeze the rifle barrel and heat the upper with a torch to make it fit, but I’m wondering what will happen to the coating. Will it flow? Will it crack? Does it expand at the same rate as the underlying metal?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Probably best to find something close to the inside diameter of the upper and wrap some fine grit sandpaper around it, oil it up real good and try to lap it.

The wheeler lapping tool to true the front of a receiver may work.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    I don't know the answer to your question, about how Cerakote will react. However, per the H-Series Technical Data Sheet, the coating is rated for 500° degrees:
    https://images.nicindustries.com/cerakote/documents/240/h-series-tds-dt20200921181150031.pdf

So, personally, I'd stay away from a torch, and would put the upper into an oven, instead. Heat it at low temperature (250-300°), for 5-15 mins, for a nice, gentle, evenly-distributed heat.

Not sure who your upper is made by, but Bravo Company does that (undersizes) on purpose, and recommends a thermal fit:

BCM® M4 Upper Receiver Assembly (w/ Laser T-Markings)

Built to the correct Mil-Specs
    (Inside Diameter for barrel extension slightly undersized for a tighter fit to the barrel and a more accurate rifle. Please use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm up threaded bore of receiver if barrel extension is too tight.)

TomK

Apr 26, 2020
    The wheeler tool did a nice job leveling out the receiver face. I went with Mule’s suggestion of a low temp oven and froze the barrel over night. Fit like a glove and was nice and tight at room temperature.

I took it to the range this weekend - no problem with bolt carrier group - just loud as hell with the 10” barrel!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I do most things myself, but in this case I would take it to someone like Clandestine who knows what they are doing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom