• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    Can anyone recommend a gunsmith near Annapolis or south? Looking for some basic work; just inspection, test firing, cleaning, and lube of some used firearms I've gotten from gunbroker over the past year. this includes an iver johnson champion 12 gauge, ruger bisley super blackhawk, and us model 1917 rifle.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Looked at some older threads. Anglers does some, but other than that you’re out of luck for Annapolis area. I would suggest Scott’s gunsmith in Glen Burnie.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll bite ;

Is there a reason you think they need test firing ? Known problems ? Fire damage ? Or ???

I suppose to be extra cautious , the headspace could be checked on the '17 Enfield .

An IJ single is about as complex as a brick . If it locks up tight , the tang lever is more or less centered when closed , and no visible cracks anywhere , that's pretty much all there is to it .

(Super ) Blackhawk is pretty much indestructible ( as long as hasn't had 10k rds of IHSMA handloads ) . Does it look like it was beat upon with sledge hammer , or rattle when you shake it ? An Revolver Person could do a basic check of timing , play, endshake, and gap in well under a minute .

Just saying , you would be looking at many months backlog , and $$$ that would be 99.999999% unnecessary absent any apparent actual problems .

If you were to seek a reasonably knowledgeable look over , and some pointers on cleaning & lubrication , I'm sure plenty of MDS'ers would be glad to for no more than cold beverage and slice of pizza .

Heck , if you're going to the Fredrick Gun Show tomorrow , bring any or all of them along , and stop by the MSI booth , and I'll throw the Mark I eyeball on them .

bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    I'll bite ;

Is there a reason you think they need test firing ? Known problems ? Fire damage ? Or ???

I suppose to be extra cautious , the headspace could be checked on the '17 Enfield .

An IJ single is about as complex as a brick . If it locks up tight , the tang lever is more or less centered when closed , and no visible cracks anywhere , that's pretty much all there is to it .

(Super ) Blackhawk is pretty much indestructible ( as long as hasn't had 10k rds of IHSMA handloads ) . Does it look like it was beat upon with sledge hammer , or rattle when you shake it ? An Revolver Person could do a basic check of timing , play, endshake, and gap in well under a minute .

Just saying , you would be looking at many months backlog , and $$$ that would be 99.999999% unnecessary absent any apparent actual problems .

If you were to seek a reasonably knowledgeable look over , and some pointers on cleaning & lubrication , I'm sure plenty of MDS'ers would be glad to for no more than cold beverage and slice of pizza .

Heck , if you're going to the Fredrick Gun Show tomorrow , bring any or all of them along , and stop by the MSI booth , and I'll throw the Mark I eyeball on them .

Just trying to be overly cautious for old guns is all. the blackhawk is the newest and the serial number dates it back to 1986. I was born in 84 so that is old to me. I guess I'm just worried about that these guns have been through before they got to me. I'm a collector who didn't grow up around firearms and I only just got into this in the past 5 years or so. I know enough to know I don't know enough. for the most part these guns will just sit in a safe but I still want them to be functional.

Thanks for the advice and invite, it is greatly appreciated. I gotta work tomorrow so that's a no go but maybe I can stop by another time at another show.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    You can probably find a video on each one of those guns that will show you how to perform all of the necessary checks. Revolvers should always be looked over very well before firing the first time. Lots of things can wear and cause problems. Usually, excessively worn areas will be easy to spot. Always a good idea to check the gap between the cylinder and the barrel using a gauge on any newly acquired revolver.

rmnhsd

Nov 17, 2020
    Scott is a really good gunsmith, however he is usually backlogged. Every time I needed somethi8ng threaded his work was flawless but it took weeks. I think he hired another guy however so this might have changed. I would recommend giving him a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom