• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I am getting a message from Adobe that Flash player won't be supported after December 31.

What is everyone using instead of Flash player?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I am getting a message from Adobe that Flash player won't be supported after December 31.

What is everyone using instead of Flash player?

The new web technologies HTML5 video and audio, WebGL, etc.) replace Flash Player functionality. The big tech companies don’t use Flash any more and browser makers have been adding support for them while dropping Flash support. Most sites you visit probably haven’t been using Flash for a while, if you find one you frequent does still use it you should let them know that after 12/31 it’s not going to work at all.

As a user there is nothing you can do except make sure you have an up to date browser, it falls on website owners to get with the times.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Firecalc uses Flash for some of the "what if" charts.

Don't know anyone else that uses it though.

SharpShoooter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 21, 2020
    So do I have to download something else or just not worry about it?

you don't have to worry about it,but of course if some websites that you frequently browse are still using it, you will be missing the content.

there's not really a substitute for flash. If the page needs flash, then it needs Adobe flash...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    sites should be using html5. Nothing to do on your part. If the site still uses flash then that is on them. I upgraded my VMWare infrastructure to v7.0 to get full HTML5 support and remove support for flash. Actually, it is faster than flash...at least for my stuff.

Flash and Java need to go bye-bye.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    So I clicked on the Adobe Flash End of Life web page and noticed this.
    "Since Adobe will no longer be supporting Flash Player after December 31, 2020 and Adobe will block Flash content from running in Flash Player beginning January 12, 2021, Adobe strongly recommends all users immediately uninstall Flash Player to help protect their systems."

And this.
    "As previously announced in July 2017, Adobe will stop supporting Flash Player after December 31, 2020 (“EOL Date”)."

My guess is that Flash is so substantially flawed from a system security perspective that Adobe has finally agreed to kill it.

FWIW: Apple products stopped supporting Flash around a decade ago.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    My guess is that Flash is so substantially flawed from a system security perspective that Adobe has finally agreed to kill it.
    That's a bingo.

Back in the 2000's Adobe shrunk it's staff by ~half. At about the same time they started producing products to compete with themselves. It looked like their C-suite was day-drinking. Vulnerabilities started popping up in just about all of their products and their track record was that they just didn't care.

Getting flash off your pc is a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom