• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 14, 2019
    Need some advice on turnaround times with gunsmiths. This is the first time I've sent off a pistol to a gunsmith out of state. This guy is supposed to be a premier gunsmith for PPKs. It needed an action job for the awful double action trigger pull and some polishing for reliability and he has had the pistol 4 months. Is this an unreasonable turn around time for a single-man gunsmithing operation? After two months of waiting, I emailed him before the holidays and he said he was going to "get right on it". Have not heard from him since. Thanks in advance for any advice. Should I ask for him to return the gun, for a discount, etc. I'm at a loss.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    He should have been up front about turn around time. However, 4mns for quality work is not bad at all.

The guys I like announced last year that they were taking no work in 2020 as they were backed up.

For a trigger job I would have stayed in md and gone to Walt Frear near Mt. Airy.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The more popular gunsmiths for Not-A-Glock guns that are involved (like CZ, and I imagine PPK too) do have turnaround times denominated in months. Cajun Gun Works as an example is 10 weeks of a wait-list, followed by another 6-10 weeks (at least) while they have your gun. A local gunsmith will do it in a few days. CZ Custom is the same.

He should have been more upfront about the time. Then again, he is probably booked solid so if he loses one or two customers he can take a short and possibly much needed break.

These wait times are easily solved if people raise prices.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Boycott this unknown person.

Just kidding. He should have told you. Some smiths can take a long time due to being backed up. I took a rifle to get threaded to an IP a while back. I was warned it would be 2 months due to the back log. Most good smiths will have a waiting list.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Agree with the others... The smith should have given you an expected timeline however 4-6 months for quality or specialized work, is not abnormal.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Agree 100%

Walt does great work. He took a Leo trade in Sig 229 which looked like hell from holster wear, was chambered in 40SW and returned a gorgeous, finely tuned 9mm. We used a BarSto conversion barrel and his Ceracoke job is impeccable.

Best of all.... he was ahead of schedule and right on budget

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Be afraid maybe of the quick one
    The good ones are all busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    4 months isn't particularly long . Small operations with national or regional reputation usually have long turnaround .

Frequently they have turnarounds on their websites , but it is customary for the client to ask .

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    MBA triangle.

Fast. Cheap. Good.

Pick two. Any two.

No place more evident (to us) than a gunsmith. Good Smith is worth the wait.

Having said that, a good smith is a craftsman, not always a businessman. A good businessman would create and manage your expectations...

They’re human too. I’ve made a point of getting to know my local Smith. I reach out during the holidays and take him a little something every now and again. I try to stop by if I know he will be at a gunshow. A good businessman understands queuing theory and managing logistics/inventory. A good Smith just may move things backward and forward on his to do list ...nothing nefarious. They are human too...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The good ones can take quite awhile. In 2000 I found a basket case AH Fox XE shotgun and turned it over to one of the best if not the best vintage shotgun smith in the country for a total restoration.
    Got it back 5 years later in 2015 and man was it worth the wait. He did call me after I picked it up to apologize for having it so long, he saw the dates when he logged it out of his FFL books. IN his defense he had lost a year due to getting lead poisoning from the chemicals he uses in the shop.
    Good work takes quite awhile, not only the work itself but how backed up the smith is, mine is a one man operation and some of the work he does can take hundred or more hours on a single firearm.

Attachments

• IMG_4846.jpg
      IMG_4846.jpg
      112.8 KB · Views: 346

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Fast- Cheap- Good

Two of them is the absolute theoretical maximum . More typically you are pleased to get 1.5 . ( Speaking categorically , not singling out gunsmiths .)

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    I shipped a mg to change the barrel and sbr conversion. Shipped mid November and still waiting
    Was supposed to be my Christmas present.
    So frustrating

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    I have a guy that's literally my neighbor, at least down here. Dropped off my Sig to see if he could mill it for a sight. Figure I'll see it again in a few months or so.... Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom