• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Baby arrived today. She weighs in at about 15 lbs.

4aeaa0487aafd98e638c88c22afcd24d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I’ll be doing a test run with the new canner tomorrow with just water, to see how it all works together with our glass top stove., before I do something simple on Sunday the first time out, like maybe a split pea and ham soup with some of today’s leftover ham.

Reading through the manual that came with the canner, there are several references and instructions to not adding thickeners to soups, stews, etc. Something about how it affects heating inside the jars? Well, my grand plan at some point soon is to help the S.U. make up a big batch of smoked duck and sausage gumbo that I would pressure can. You can’t make a good gumbo without a roux, and you can’t make a good roux without using flour to thicken it. So, am I just reading too much into what I have read so far? Do they really mean to not thicken stuff at all even if that’s the proper consistency to eat it? I mean, we would make our gumbo ready-to-heat-and-eat, not to thicken it to the point where we’d have to add more water or stock to thin it down first.

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I got this as a gift today lol

Attachments

• FA3EFBCA-0451-4A24-9B06-CEA21CB674FC.jpg
      FA3EFBCA-0451-4A24-9B06-CEA21CB674FC.jpg
      68.1 KB · Views: 159

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I’ll be doing a test run with the new canner tomorrow with just water, to see how it all works together with our glass top stove., before I do something simple on Sunday the first time out, like maybe a split pea and ham soup with some of today’s leftover ham.

Reading through the manual that came with the canner, there are several references and instructions to not adding thickeners to soups, stews, etc. Something about how it affects heating inside the jars? Well, my grand plan at some point soon is to help the S.U. make up a big batch of smoked duck and sausage gumbo that I would pressure can. You can’t make a good gumbo without a roux, and you can’t make a good roux without using flour to thicken it. So, am I just reading too much into what I have read so far? Do they really mean to not thicken stuff at all even if that’s the proper consistency to eat it? I mean, we would make our gumbo ready-to-heat-and-eat, not to thicken it to the point where we’d have to add more water or stock to thin it down first.

NRA Life ∙ MSI ∙ MD Designated Collector ∙ Certified Beer & Mead Judge

Would it be possible to make your gumbo without the thickeners and can. Then when you go to heat up the canned gumbo you make the roux to add then or use okra to thicken it.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Would it be possible to make your gumbo without the thickeners and can. Then when you go to heat up the canned gumbo you make the roux to add then or use okra to thicken it.

Yes that is how you do it. Then when ready to eat you you out some joice and use butter and flour to make the roux then.

Thanks y'all. I've also done a little searching, and maybe gumbo isn't the best thing for us to can, at least not yet.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    ten pints of raw pack deer meat today. Ground a bunch too and steaked some out.

Rest tomorrow again and maybe me and the girl each kill another next week to put up.

Archeryrob

Would you be willing to share your raw pack process/recipe? I assume that you are packing it in stew chunk (1" roughly) cubes? I have not done a raw pack yet and don't want to screw it up or wind up with an unappetizing product to serve. Thanks from a rookie.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Archeryrob

Would you be willing to share your raw pack process/recipe? I assume that you are packing it in stew chunk (1" roughly) cubes? I have not done a raw pack yet and don't want to screw it up or wind up with an unappetizing product to serve. Thanks from a rookie.

Not really a recipe, but it is a process.

Put a bullion cube, or half, in the bottom. We did half from the Latino section in Walmart. They are rather larger and half is probably a whole Wylers. Fill the pint with light pushing leaving for head space. Fill the voids with water and poke with knife to release air bubbles. Pressure can for 75 minutes as instructed. Some people say 1/2 teaspoon of salt but the wife is affected by salt a lot. Bullion has salt in it also.

I forgot, trim all fat, most tendons and all membrane as possible. Even if it takes a skim of meat with it. Cook it for the dog if you don't want to waste it. Mine never complains.

Attachments

• D94A09E5-AA1E-4FA5-BADE-7E717BF2BEAD.jpg
      D94A09E5-AA1E-4FA5-BADE-7E717BF2BEAD.jpg
      65.5 KB · Views: 178

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This morning’s task was three quick & easy pint jars of “Pennsylvania Dutch” red beet pickled quail eggs. These were not water bath canned, just put into the fridge. For the brine I used the liquid from one jar of pickled beets, and about two cups of red wine vinegar, about 4 tbs. sugar, a cinnamon stick, half a small sliced onion, about 18 cloves, 2 bay leaves, and a chopped up jalapeño with seeds. Into each jar went 19 quail eggs, and about 6-8 baby red beets to fill up the space. Here is the base recipe which I modified somewhat.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/13743/pennsylvania-dutch-pickled-beets-and-eggs/

838200550bc542caf3054255252511c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This afternoon I used my new pressure canner for the first time, on a batch of split pea and ham soup recipe from the Ball Blue Book. The recipe was doctored only slightly, by doubling it, using more ham and less onion, and a little more allspice. The peas, onions, and large chunks of carrots were cooked for the first hour, then the carrots were removed. The soup was pulverized in a Vita-Mita-Vega-Mix until it was smooth and thick, then returned to the pot and the carrots cut into smaller bits. It's very delicious.

But check out the jars out of the canner. The recipe has it go for 1 hr. 15 mins. There was at least 2 inches of water in the bottom of the canner with all jars in. Pressure was maintained at a low burner heat at 10 lbs. the whole time. But when I opened the lid, there was no more water in the bottom of the canner, just soup residue that had oozed out of each of the jars. So none of the jar seals are good and they'll all have to go into the 'fridge. No harm done to the soup. I did a test run yesterday and today seemed to go well until I saw this mess. I guess I need more water and slightly less heat. Also wondering if I had thinned the soup a little bit more, would the jars have boiled out less.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 3.42.17 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 3.42.17 PM.jpg
      85.7 KB · Views: 189
    • cannerjars.jpg
      cannerjars.jpg
      77.4 KB · Views: 163
    • IMG_7773.jpg
      IMG_7773.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 173

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today's soup canning episode was a success compared with last week's pea soup. Southwestern vegetable soup from the Ball Blue Book yielded 4 quarts plus about a pint for Q.C. Started with about 2.5 inches of water in the canner before putting jars in. There was no issue this time about running out of water or overheating. Jars all successfully sealed. Prepping all the veggies was kind of a pain, but the result is very tasty.

Attachments

• soup1.jpg
      soup1.jpg
      76.8 KB · Views: 136
    • soup3.jpg
      soup3.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 138
    • soup2.jpg
      soup2.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 135

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Two inches of water (at least) BEFORE the jars go in (presuming quarts). Basically, you want the water to come up to just under the lids (half inch or inch below is fine). You want the weight to rattle just every once in a while (a handful of times a minute is about right).

Also your jars were probably a bit overfilled, but the excessive expansion may be because the temp rise with no water in the canner. No reason you can't combine the jars and run them again.

No worries though! I've had similar happen when I started. You'll get it figured out and you'll love the results. The soup looks awesome!

Also - I use widemouth quarts for everything except jellies.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Did you not snug the lids on the pea soup? They are not to be too tight (break) or too loose (Leak out). I have stained water sometimes where is pushes small stuff out, but nothing like that yet.

I also prefer regular mouth in the pressure caner and the wides in the water bath. Regular fits better in the pressure caner for a 2 hour cycle. Water bath cycles are quick so no care if two less jars fit in the pot. I got the AA915 and 10 regular mouths pints fit in it but only 7 or 8 wide mouth pints.

Not Sure

Jan 1, 2021
    Couldnt agree more, use widemouth jars. Nothing is gained by using the regular mouth. Just a little more can be stored with the wide mouth, and its easier to put things in and take out. Larger spoon and such. That soup does look great

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom