• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    What is a good pressure canner to buy? We have a 4 burner electric flat top stove, so should I go with an electric pressure canner? I want to can deer meat. Several years ago I canned deer meat using the water bath method. After reading some of this thread, I guess I dodged the botulism bullet and don’t care to take that chance again. We will eventually can other things, but deer meat will be the top priority soon. Thank you

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    What is a good pressure canner to buy? We have a 4 burner electric flat top stove, so should I go with an electric pressure canner? I want to can deer meat. Several years ago I canned deer meat using the water bath method. After reading some of this thread, I guess I dodged the botulism bullet and don’t care to take that chance again. We will eventually can other things, but deer meat will be the top priority soon. Thank you

Get a propane burner and a presto is good brand

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    We pressure-can on our glass/ceramic top stove with good success. Seems to me that your considerations should include your budget, and how much capacity you think you'll need. My only experience with pressure-canning is with our All-American 910 which will do 7 pints or 4 quarts at a time. It's built like a tank, and it will out-last me, though they are pricey. Basically no maintenance (no gasket, the lid seal is metal-to-metal), and they're also made in the U.S.A if that matters to you. https://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-Pressure-Canners.htm

Also have read mostly good reviews about Presto pressure-canners. No experience with them, made in Chy-na if that matters to you.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Here are some to consider:
    https://www.lehmans.com/category/pressure-canners

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Because it's sold in gallon jars and I'd like to break it down into more manageable serving sizes.

Since canning is primarily about food preservation that is accomplished by creating a sterile environment inside a seal able container you certainly can accomplish that with your relish. The question becomes will the heat processing effect the taste, appearance, or texture of what you are canning. Since you don't know the exact details of the previous processing it has undergone it is probably impossible to tell without experimentation if the results will be acceptable.

Spend $2.00 process a batch and see if you like it.

Look up some home canning relish recipes and follow their canning steps but remember they start with boiling hot relish.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Since you don't know the exact details of the previous processing it has undergone it is probably impossible to tell without experimentation if the results will be acceptable.

Yup, but another issue is whether the acidity level in the product is sufficient to allow for safe water-bath canning versus using a pressure-canning process. Commercial relish contains preservatives, but neither of the two commercial jars of pickles that are in my fridge list a preservative in their ingredients. That suggests to me that re-canning relish without knowing the acidity level or using a pressure canner, might not be completely safe for non-refrigerated storage.

An option which might defeat your purpose here, could be to strain out all liquid, make your own brine from a published recipe, and use that brine to heat the solid relish and re-can it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    Generally people ask questions on this site to learn from others experiences. An issue is that to water bath can the product would need to be brought up to a rolling boil before processing. I was hoping someone may have tried it to avoid wasting my time and energy only to find out it just turns into mush.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Today's efforts yielded six jars of Apple Jalapeño Jelly, nine jars of Chocolate Cherry Jam (with a few Jalapeños chopped in for good measure), and three jars of Cowboy Candy.

Most of these will be shared with siblings, nieces and nephews as Christmas gifts. Well, except maybe for some of that Chocolate Cherry Jalapeño Jam, I can't wait to try that out on an English muffin.

Attachments

• IMG_9521.jpg
      IMG_9521.jpg
      37.4 KB · Views: 248

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    Made 8 pints of apple butter today from my grandmothers recipes. Haven’t had it in years!

Sounds tasty, hope it comes out the same as you remember. To make the apple butter did you have to use a press?

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    No press. Just chopped, cored apples with the skin on. Spices sugar vinegar. In a big roaster in the over for 3 hours.
    Then hit it with an immersion blender.
    Then canned.
    Could use a food mill.
    It turned out great.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    This morning I made the attached Chili recipe. I've made the same recipe before using 100% ground venison, but only had 1 lb. of that. So today's version is a blend of venison, bison, pork, and 90% lean beef.

I put most of my canning recipes on a spreadsheet to be able to scale them up or down to fit my canning equipment, and the ingredients I have on hand to work with. My pressure canner (All-American model 910) will hold 7 pints or 4 quarts, so today I made a batch scaled to 10-pints to have enough to can 7 pints and have some left over for a couple meals when it's my day to make supper.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 9.58.03 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 9.58.03 AM.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 155

rossiski

Dec 28, 2019
    Carroll County
    Thanks for sharing. Great idea on the spreadsheet.
    I have a fresh tomato sauce recipe I made this year and froze. It turned out great but I was wondering if I could can it in the future. I know PH is a concern with tomatoes.
    It was basically with tomatoes onion garlic and basil.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Thanks for sharing. Great idea on the spreadsheet.

I have a fresh tomato sauce recipe I made this year and froze. It turned out great but I was wondering if I could can it in the future. I know PH is a concern with tomatoes.

It was basically with tomatoes onion garlic and basil.

Tomato products can be water-bath canned if there is sufficient acidity added. Otherwise you'd need to pressure-can it.

This recipe sounds a lot like what you described. It uses added acidity for a water-bath canning process:

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce

Yield: about 7 pint or 3 quart jars

20 pounds tomatoes (about 60 medium)
    1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
    8 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1⁄4 cup finely minced fresh basil
    Ball Citric Acid or bottled lemon juice

PREP Wash tomatoes and basil under cold running water; drain. Remove core and blossom ends from tomatoes. Cut tomatoes into quarters. Peel onion. Chop onion; measure 1 cup chopped onion. Peel garlic and mince. Finely mince basil, discarding stems; measure 1⁄4 cup finely minced basil.

COOK Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil, in a large saucepan, until onion is transparent. Add tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Purée tomato mixture using an electric food strainer or food mill to remove peels and seeds. Return purée to saucepan. Stir in basil. Cook purée, uncovered, over medium-high heat until reduced by one-half, stirring to prevent sticking.

FILL Add 1⁄4 teaspoon citric acid or 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice to a hot pint jar; 1⁄2 teaspoon citric acid or 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice to a hot quart jar. Ladle hot sauce into jar, leaving 1⁄2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Clean jar rim. Center lid on jar and adjust band to fingertip-tight. Place jar on the rack elevated over simmering water (180°F) in boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.

PROCESS Lower the rack into simmering water. Water must cover jars by 1 inch. Adjust heat to medium-high, cover canner and bring water to a rolling boil. Process pint jars 35 minutes or quart jars 40 minutes. Turn off heat and remove cover. Let jars cool 5 minutes. Remove jars from canner; do not retighten

Ball Blue Book: Guide to Preserving: Digital Edition (p. 34). Jarden Home Brands; 37 edition (July 28, 2015). Kindle Edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom