• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Do people with pressure canners typically pressure can everything instead of water bath canning acidic foods?
    I couldn’t buy the pressure canner I wanted due to them being sold out so I’m only water bath canning things this fall.
    pressure can is for meats and fruits veggies. Jams, jelly, pickles etc is more for water bath

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    I love bread & butter pickle chips and put them on pretty much any sandwich (have not yet tried them on a PB&J though). Today I put up 7 pints of them plus a pint of baby corn, using Mrs. Wage's B&B dry mix, with vinegar and sugar per the recipe (though with a little less sugar than called for). Also added 4 whole Jalapeño peppers, cut up with seeds, into the brine and simmered it for about 90 minutes before filling jars.

For those interested, H Mart (Ellicott City) sells "Kirby" cucumbers which are great for pickling. I slice about 1/4" thick with a mandolin and the crinkle cut blade, and also made some long sandwich slices in addition to chips. I did the baby corn in the same B&B brine because I had just enough left over, and... why not?

Attachments

• IMG_2111.jpg
      IMG_2111.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 267

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I love B&B also. A ham sammich just aint the same without them!!

My daughter was like "Everyone wants dill pickles! We are making Dills! No one wants B&B pickles"

We made some B&B becuase I insisted on it. Now, no one is hardly anyone is eating the dills and guess who is eating all the B&B pickles right after I open the jar?" :rolleyes:

Kids, even in their 20's you can't get them to listen.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Cheating/Shortcuts

I'm canning Chili tonight, and got to thinking about some of my 'shortcuts'. I know there's a lot of 'bad press' out there about canning and dying of botulism etc. by doing dumb stuff. I follow the rules more or less, but there a few things I cheat on.

Some things about my canning process.

1) I always pressure can. I do Chili, peaches, applesauce and occasionally (every other year more or less, 'cause I do about 15-20 post at once) jelly/jam.

2) I usually do a fair amount at once - tonight I'm doing 12 quarts of chili. So I need throughput. My canner (american) will do 7 quarts in one batch.

Some of my shortcuts:

1) I reuse lids. They are washed when opened, and they are inspected when reused.

2) I don't sterilize anything. Its going in the canner for goodness sake. That is the sterilization process. I wash glassware and lids when they are done, and I keep the jars inverted until they are next filled. They are stored in a clean pantry.

3) I occasionally (like tonight) accelerate the pressure bleed down at the very end to get the jars out. I usually read that you are supposed to let them come down to temp, but at 1-2 pounds pressure (and for meats I'm running the 10PSI weight), I'll asset it to bring it down to zero before opening. I don't rip it off and let 'er blow or anything, but I want to get to sleep at a decent hour tonight, and I have enough 90 minute run.

Thoughts?

Anybody else doe the same? Other ways to speed the process?

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    1) I reuse lids. They are washed when opened, and they are inspected when reused.

I use only new lids, not because most sources say not to reuse lids, but because they're inexpensive enough (well, if you can find them), because my observations are that used lids all have an obvious deep indentation which might cause them to not seal in subsequent uses, and in case of a failed seal that jar would have to either be re-canned, or refrigerated immediately. But it seems to me that if you confirm after canning and cooling, that each seal is tight by removing the band and checking that each lid is tight, they'd be good to go.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I use only new lids, not because most sources say not to reuse lids, but because they're inexpensive enough (well, if you can find them), because my observations are that used lids all have an obvious deep indentation which might cause them to not seal in subsequent uses, and in case of a failed seal that jar would have to either be re-canned, or refrigerated immediately. But it seems to me that if you confirm after canning and cooling, that each seal is tight by removing the band and checking that each lid is tight, they'd be good to go.

Yes - I check them when I pul the bands off. Also - no dents - I very carefully break the seal with little pressure. I also rotate the used lids when I put them on to let the lid find its 'natural' spot on the jar.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Shoppers in College Park had three cases of wide mouth quart jars with bands and lids on the scratch and dent shelf. Nothing wrong with them other than the plastic wrap was broken on them.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    I put the 6lb. pulp and seeds in pot with 2 cups water boil for about a hour.
    Let it cool and remove seeds which is time consuming. Add 3 cups sugar 1/2 cups lemon
    juice 2 table spoon of vanilla put it all to boil again put in jars boil in jars for 10 minutes.

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Did 5 half pints of jalapeño pepper jelly today. There was a minor cluster when I took my eye off of the pot while it was coming to a boil, to gather the lids. Well that mo-fo boiled up and over before I saw it, and made an unholy mess on the S. U.’s glass stove. Fortunately I had some chopped peppers left over so I puréed them and added them back, and resumed the boil. Still got a full 5 jars and had a little bit left over.

a58965b5c356993635052a5b50bbc514.jpg

16135c3201146fbb80bb25f419b93f82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    Have you made that and how do you use it? My daughter made Cowboy candy and I am the only one that will eat it. Might need to try it on Hamburgers like a pickle.

The jalapeño jelly is just like any other canned jelly, is good on PB&J sandwiches or as TrappedinMD said, really good with cream cheese and crackers.

76438debb110d50e42eea8003c4f4645.jpg

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Pawpaw butter

I copied that pawpaw butter and it is awesome. I was late looking so hardly found any and only got a pint. I’ll be out early September next year!!

Pics later, it’s not loading off my phone

Dec 31, 2012
    Have you made that and how do you use it? My daughter made Cowboy candy and I am the only one that will eat it. Might need to try it on Hamburgers like a pickle.

Put it on top of your chili along with some sour cream.

Drain the peppers before topping a burger.

Save the liquid to coat a ham.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom