• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thinking about a bolt action 22LR. Something akin to a Browning T-Bolt or a CZ 457 varmint. Might consider a Ruger American rimfire target; not sure. I would scope this one; no irons.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I've got a CZ-455 bull barrel (precursor to 457, I think) and a Ruger American, both scoped. Right now I've got the .22LR barrel on it and it is my most accurate and most fun .22LR to shoot. The trigger is very nice as factory triggers go.
    I also have a .17 bull barrel for it and even at 200 yds, it is as dead on as this old geezer can get it. :)
    The Ruger is also very nice but I don't seem to get the same groupings with it that I do with CZ. As usual, your mileage may vary.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Depends on what type of shooting you intend to do. My dad bought a CZ-457 with a few options then a few weeks later, saw an old Anschutz 54 Super Match a friend of mine was looking to sell. Once he shot the Annie and figured how he would mount a scope on it, he bought it. All of the Olympic winners in 1964 were shooting these rifles which are a testimonial to their accuracy.

My dad has been shooting custom benchrest rifles for a while and just decided to try rimfire. The CZ made him happy, until he began looking into the Annie.

For most shooters, the CZs are more than adequate and a great value. New Anschutz rifles can be very expensive, but are the world's most accurate .22LR.

Just remember that no matter what you buy, you will still need to test different ammo to find what works best in your particular rifle. That is the largest factor in shooting .22LR accurately.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I've got the Ruger American rimfire and it's a sweet little gun for the price. Great trigger and runs well. I had a bit of a time finding ammo that shot well but that is likely because I wanted subsonic only, not the rifle. It's a dedicated suppressed gun that the sound of the bullet hitting the squirrel is all you hear.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    VQ summit, it's a sweet straight pull toggle action, pretty much all VQ 10/22 parts, only parts not 10/22 compatible are the upper and bolt. I like the Ruger precision rimfire, but the adjustable stock is a bit hokey, I like the American target series stock better.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I bought a CZ 457 from 2A Sales last week. I was able to compare it side by side with the Ruger. The CZ is just a better rifle. Waiting on my scope rail and I'll shoot it this week.
    I have a couple of Anschutz rifles as well but I just wanted a nice mag fed gun for fun.
    They still had a couple on the wall last Wednesday

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Tikka T1X. It's simply one of the best 22 bolt rifles I've ever shot. Barrel is already threaded for a can if you decide to get one.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    BTW united Gun Shop had a nice CZ 455 in the Manners stock last Tuesday. Super nice rifle that I passed on for the CZ 457 but it is a nice option. It was $700. So about what I paid for the CZ 457 in an At One stock
    IMHO the action on the 457 is a lot nicer, they really did fix all the issues people had with the 455.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    BTW united Gun Shop had a nice CZ 455 in the Manners stock last Tuesday. Super nice rifle that I passed on for the CZ 457 but it is a nice option. It was $700. So about what I paid for the CZ 457 in an At One stock
    IMHO the action on the 457 is a lot nicer, they really did fix all the issues people had with the 455.
    What _did_ people complain about wrt the CZ455? Am I in for issues that I haven't hit yet, or did I get lucky with mine?

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    I second the cz 457, accurate, adjustable trigger, and beautiful wood. If you have the money i heard the Lithgow LA101 was really nice, but stupid expensive.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    What _did_ people complain about wrt the CZ455? Am I in for issues that I haven't hit yet, or did I get lucky with mine?

They're great rifles but the 457 has a 60 degree bolt, a better safety and an adjustable trigger. There's a couple of other upgrades that help with fit.
    I seriously considered buying that 455. But CZ really did make significant changes. But the 457 is no more accurate and, in fact the barrels are still interchangeable

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Can't say I've tried that many bolt .22 rifles but I'll vote for the CZ...solid performance for the money and well built...a great value. I have a Weatherby Mark XXII made by Anschutz but that's in a different price class with wonderful, even superior performance but has been discontinued.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I have a T1X and love it. I am likely going to sell it once my rimx comes in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom