• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I heard about this today, and I'm still trying to process it. He was an acquaintance and the drummer for the wedding band I've gigged with for the last 20 years - he came on board right around 2012. Along with being a trumpet player, I'm also a drummer, so we always had stuff to talk about when it came to drummers, gear, etc. He knew I was into guns, and I remember a couple of years ago when he went through the HQL process to get a pistol - we talked a bit about what he was looking to get and I steered him toward a Glock in 9mm. I never would have imagined he would do something like this. I look at pics of my own son when he was 3 years old and my heart breaks.

I'd heard from a mutual friend that he had been struggling and was having some issues, likely stemming from the fact that his entire livelihood had been pretty much wiped out by the COVID 19 lockdown. He made his living as a gigging musician and drum teacher, and all of that went belly-up with COVID 19, so I'm sure the financial stress contributed to marital stress and depression.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/10/16/bel-air-murder-suicide-jason-dewitt-grayson-dewitt-latest/

If anyone out there is hurting, please reach out. I'm always going to wonder now about whether or not it would have helped if I had reached out and got him talking about drums and drumming.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Man, that sucks large. You can't blame yourself. It might have made him worse to talk about drums, or it might have helped. You can't know how anything would have changed him and it does you no good to dwell on it. You would have helped if you knew it was going this route, I'm sure. Take the blessing that you have your life going well.

May he rest in peace...and the little boy, too.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I could not imagine what would lead someone down that path??
    Mine are grown and all out on their own. I was saddened when each grew and left, But when the last left home I was "relieved" in a weird way. I was like "Whew! I got them all raised without screwing it up"

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Yeah , i don't have any sympathy for a man when he kills his kids or wife . You have the problems off yourself then , i am sorry to crap on the your story .

I will say a prayer for his victims and family including friends .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah , i don't have any sympathy for a man when he kills his kids or wife . You have the problems off yourself then , i am sorry to crap on the your story .

I will say a prayer for his victims and family including friends .
    No - perfectly ok. I'm still trying to figure out how far down the rabbit hole he got to where he thought that was the way to go. I'd gotten the impression that he was having some serious marital issues, but I can't fathom how a person could take the life of their child. It just doesn't compute for me.

I always thought he was a decent guy, and he was a heck of a musician - one of the best drummers I've ever worked with.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    No - perfectly ok. I'm still trying to figure out how far down the rabbit hole he got to where he thought that was the way to go. I'd gotten the impression that he was having some serious marital issues, but I can't fathom how a person could take the life of their child. It just doesn't compute for me.

I always thought he was a decent guy, and he was a heck of a musician - one of the best drummers I've ever worked with.

Yeah , Thank You for not getting pissed at me for stating my opinion . I just can not fathom the moment before , once you cross that line there is no return . It is a shame .

Dalebert

Apr 15, 2020
    Baltimore County
    Reach Out

If anyone out there is hurting, please reach out. I'm always going to wonder now about whether or not it would have helped if I had reached out and got him talking about drums and drumming.

Same goes for you Trick, especially now...reach out if you need it. I don't know what your support group is like, but reach out to me if you need to...I don't know drums, but happy to listen to anything if you need to talk.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Same goes for you Trick, especially now...reach out if you need it. I don't know what your support group is like, but reach out to me if you need to...I don't know drums, but happy to listen to anything if you need to talk.
    I appreciate that. I'm doing ok - still trying to wrap my head around it, but overall I know that people do bad things, and bad things can happen to good people. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it - we have to just accept it and move on.

I don't know if I had tried to reach out if he'd have even allowed it. Another friend of mine had been trying to touch base with him - text, email, Facebook Message - nothing. He'd simply closed off. There was definitely some bad stuff rattling around his head though if he took his little boy with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom