• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    It's an impressive little rifle, but when I couldn't decide between it and the Ruger 10/22 Breakdown, so I did what I always do when in similar such situations. I bought both. The Ruger is a fine gun, but it's heavy, even when broken apart. And the Henry can be easily thrown into a knapsack or tied with cord and carried over the shoulder or even tossed into a briefcase. An AR7 can be easily carried with three loaded magazines of 8 rounds apiece.

The Ruger itself is a rifle that all homeowners and gun owners should own. It comes with its own well made case capable of carrying several high-capacity magazines and the rifle.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the Ruger, but the Henry shoots very well. I was so glad to hear Henry had bought the rights to the AR7 and that I wasn't going to have to buy a Charter Arms (which is what I thought I was going to have to buy when I decided to buy one). I had just finished reading a review of the AR7 in an old magazine, and I thought if the Charter Arms (a company I generally despise) still made 'em, I would buy one. But when I went shopping for one, I discovered it had traded hands to the Henry.

https://youtube/p-UFQribUIQ

Anyway, I like both the Henry and the Ruger. Do you have one, or both? Which do you prefer, and do you have a Charter Arms or earlier? Many people who do a lot of flying buy AR7s.

I like the Ruger, but I still find the Ruger a bit too heavy.

Eastwind

Nice!
    May 3, 2020
    Personally I prefer the 10/22. If anything goes wrong with it, I feel like spare parts are easier to find. That and Ruger mags are EVERYWHERE. Extended warranties aren't worth shit if the companies offering them don't exist anymore. I've only shot the Ruger, and it worked well enough. Whenever I go into my LGS's, all I see are Rugers.

Not only that but the 10/22 has a huge range of different configurations so there's something for everyone. I feel like the weight concern on the 10/22 is a bit silly. If the 2-3lbs increase on an already light weight gun makes that much of a difference, then a gym membership might be a better investment.

In my opinion- own both! (If your wallet permits.) But if I had to pick one, I'd go for the 10/22 all day.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I like the AR-7 for it's compactness. I've been on the lookout for one.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Another consideration may be the time it takes to get from "stored" to "ready to fire". The AR-7 is 3 pieces, of which 2 are stored in the other. The Ruger just has 2 and it is a simple twist to reassemble. In review videos that I have seen of the AR-7 it seems that sometimes the butt cover can be a bit of a pain to remove and replace due to it being watertight.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    10/22 backpacker all the way. Multiple compact suppression options and smartly packed you can roll out with well over 100 rounds on the gun. But it doesn't float....

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I have an original Armalite AR-7 and it's a nice rifle...pretty accurate but the only negative is that only original Armalite magazines are reliable with it. Others are iffy at best...the Henry magazines are supposed to interchange but don't work properly even though they're supposed to.

For what it is I like my rifle...but for a serious survival rifle it's better relegated to fun and collector status unless one can find a supply of original Armalite mags. The Charter Arms versions can best be forgotten about...they had really a spotty quality control reputation. The current version would be the one to have for any serious use and knocking about.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I have a Charter Arms version. The coolness factor is way high, but the quality is atrocious. Another factor is the sights and accuracy. I'd say that goes to the 10/22.

My understanding is that Henry began manufacturing after the patents ran out, as opposed to buying the company.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Another consideration may be the time it takes to get from "stored" to "ready to fire". The AR-7 is 3 pieces, of which 2 are stored in the other. The Ruger just has 2 and it is a simple twist to reassemble. In review videos that I have seen of the AR-7 it seems that sometimes the butt cover can be a bit of a pain to remove and replace due to it being watertight.

The butt pad (or stock cover) is s snug fit when it's room temperature. But if you leave it in the sun awhile, it'll pop right off, and send your parts flying into the gravel. I use a piece of paracord and a cord toggle to hold the package together now.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Henry says they re-engineered this model and fixed the issues. I have one I got used, and it's been fine with Henry magazines. No complaints, especially for the price.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    10/22 backpacker all the way. Multiple compact suppression options and smartly packed you can roll out with well over 100 rounds on the gun. But it doesn't float....

The suppressor options include the integrally suppressed barrel. Can't really get more compact than that.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Magazines were always an issue with earlier versions of the AR-7. Hopefully Henry fixed that with their "redesign". Aftermarket mags for the AR-7 range from iffy to atrocious. As an earlier poster said, Armalite mags in Armalite gun work best. The Ruger is just too common not to have one.

I have both. I have an older Ar7 which I like because it has the old metal front sight. I hate the orange plastic one. I think the Ruger is more accurate and more versatile but the AR7 really breaks down better for ease of transport.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a old Armalite ar7 and a pile of mags for it , it's a fun little rifle . I have the 10/22 take down scoped , as big and bulky as it is it defeats the purpose of what it is marketed for .

My favorite by far and often not thought about by many is my old Marlin Papoose , great little rifle and reliable .

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a 10/22 that I put bull barrel on then suppressed and also the AR7.
    I did shoot the 10/22 with its stock sights for a few weeks before scoping it and its pretty darn good and reasonably consistent.
    The AR7 plastic front sight has bumped so I marked it. Its pretty big front sight and I have thought about getting my son 2 3D print a skinny one.
    Definitely compact.
    I got it for the novelty. Peep sight is accurate but like all peep sights, not good in low light like say a firesight that you could put on the Ruger takedown.

You could put a scope or a red dot on the AR7, but then it would not fit in the stock.
    you could put a scope or a red dot on the Ruger but then your sight and barrel separate when detach. I hear its no problem but I just don't believe you can get away with constant scope zero doing that. I'm skeptical.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I have both. I have an older Ar7 which I like because it has the old metal front sight. I hate the orange plastic one. I think the Ruger is more accurate and more versatile but the AR7 really breaks down better for ease of transport.
    The Ruger is a better gun, but I love the AR-7, and I love the orange sight. I can see it much better than the older one. I know a guy who made a front sight out of orange plastic for his Security-Six. It looked pretty cool.

You can buy two of the AR-7s for what you'd pay for one 10/22 Breakdown. But you get a nice black case and a carrying strap. I love both, which is why I got both. If I had to carry one a great distance, I'd take the AR-7.

Henry broke down the entire gun and redesigned it from the inside out, which is why it works so well. I love the way it it goes together. ✋

--

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom