• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    BTW, the Henry version does not float, at least not for long.
    The Henry model will float long enough to retrieve it if it falls into the drink. If one seals the cap with electrical tape it should float indefinitely.

You might not be done yet. I'd also consider a Savage 42
    That only fires one shot at a time and breaks down into two pieces with no place to store? I might go for a .22WMR if it fired more than one shot. Alas, it does not.

Oh, and I also have the Ruger breakdown model and a bunch of magazines for it. My wife would kill me if she knew!

Still, I love the Henry Survival Rifle. (I bought two of them.) They're a hoot to shoot. What's not to like? If they had a .22WMR model, I would have bought one. I'm a huge fan of the .22LR and I think it's a very underrated caliber.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    Used it for the second time and the charging handle / pin fell out and was lost in the woods. Guess I will be on the phone to Henry on Monday.
    Not sure what that is. Can you elaborate? What did Henry say? Are they going to make it right?

Last edited:

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    The pin you use to load the first bullet. They had a answering service take my call and said someone would get back to me. Hope to hear from them tomorrow.

The Henry model will float long enough to retrieve it if it falls into the drink. If one seals the cap with electrical tape it should float indefinitely.

That only fires one shot at a time and breaks down into two pieces with no place to store. I night go for a .22WMR if it fired more than one shot. Alas, it does not. Oh, and I also have the Ruger breakdown model and a bunch of magazines for it. My wife would kill me!

Still, I love the Henry Survival Rifle. (I bought two of them.) They're a hoot to shoot. What's not to like? If they had a .22WMR model, I would have bought one. I'm a huge fan of the .22LR and I think it's a very underrated caliber.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Not sure what that is. Can you elaborate? What did Henry say? Are they going to make it right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 407

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    After talking to Henry the charging handle just slides in and when the barrel is installed it holds the slide back so the handle won’t fall out. You have to be careful to keep the charging handle pointing up or hold it in place when the barrel is off. They sent me a new charging handle and so far it works.

Picked up my AR 7 last week nice, compact, accurate. But used it for the second time and the charging handle / pin fell out and was lost in the woods. Guess I will be on the phone to Henry on Monday.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Always like the AR-7 nice design, though execution has been intermittent.

When I get a moment I am probably going to order a TP Arms .357/.410 and possibly the .17 HMR. Pricey and heavy but they pack flat.

http://tpsarms.com/

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I had a Charter Arms AR-7 a looong time ago in Texas. I remember that if I held the trigger right (applied pressure to the side while pulling it) it would sometimes slam fire through the entire magazine.

It was a neat little rifle.

2ndatrades

Aug 20, 2020
    Howard County
    I have both 10/22 and AR7 as well and love them both. The AR7 was surprisingly accurate out of the box. It is now sitting in my wife’s bugout bag. The gun floats when stored in the stock and only weighs like 3.5lbs.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am kind of disappointed that it does not float. More of a back pack rifle than a survival rifle.

It will float for a while.

A wrap of tape around where the butt cap attaches to the stock will make it float longer.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Does anyone have a Henry AR7 that has reliability issues? I know that many Charter Arms owners have problems, but Henry seems to have fixed most of the reliability problems.

The main thing I don't like, and it's a tiny issue, is that the stock takes too long to screw into the receiver. I also wish 10-round magazines could have been developed. The hi-cap magazines made to fit the AR7 simply weren't reliable.

The Ruger 10/22, of course, doesn't have these problems. Does anyone here have the Ruger takedown model? Have you had any problems with them? Are they as reliable as the regular Ruger 10/22s?

--

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Does anyone have a Henry AR7 that has reliability issues? I know that many Charter Arms owners have problems, but Henry seems to have fixed most of the reliability problems.

The main thing I don't like, and it's a tiny issue, is that the stock takes too long to screw into the receiver. I also wish 10-round magazines could have been developed. The hi-cap magazines made to fit the AR7 simply weren't reliable.

The Ruger 10/22, of course, doesn't have these problems. Does anyone here have the Ruger takedown model? Have you had any problems with them? Are they as reliable as the regular Ruger 10/22s?

--

It takes 10 seconds to screw in.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Got one of these second hand, pretty lightly used I'd say. Tried it out today and the results were about what I expected. Reliability was ok, one of the three magazines included does not feed at all. The other two were great and it went bang every single time using those two. The front sight is a joke, every time you stow the barrel it will move around because the plastic blade is a finger tight press fit into the dovetail. New magazines are $20 each from Henry and in stock so I'll be ordering them asap to have some spares and tinker with the other one and see if it will feed. I bought this knowing full well to not expect much and consider it a novelty and conversation piece. Maybe a total SHTF last ditch firearm to use if you needed to GTFO of dodge in a hurry. Beyond that I would not consider it a serious contender for holding the zombie herd or peaceful riot activity at bay by any means.

There is no bolt hold open, which I understand from a simplicity and cost viewpoint. The charging handle IMO could have a detent ball or spring blade built into it somehow so you could pull it out and have it lock in the extended position.

Still glad to add one into the collection :thumbsup:

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Got one of these second hand, pretty lightly used I'd say. Tried it out today and the results were about what I expected. Reliability was ok, one of the three magazines included does not feed at all. The other two were great and it went bang every single time using those two. The front sight is a joke, every time you stow the barrel it will move around because the plastic blade is a finger tight press fit into the dovetail. New magazines are $20 each from Henry and in stock so I'll be ordering them asap to have some spares and tinker with the other one and see if it will feed. I bought this knowing full well to not expect much and consider it a novelty and conversation piece. Maybe a total SHTF last ditch firearm to use if you needed to GTFO of dodge in a hurry. Beyond that I would not consider it a serious contender for holding the zombie herd or peaceful riot activity at bay by any means.

There is no bolt hold open, which I understand from a simplicity and cost viewpoint. The charging handle IMO could have a detent ball or spring blade built into it somehow so you could pull it out and have it lock in the extended position.

Still glad to add one into the collection :thumbsup:

I’ve never owned one but I have a friend who does and we took it to the range one day, safe to say it made me fall even more in love with my 10/22 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I’ve never owned one but I have a friend who does and we took it to the range one day, safe to say it made me fall even more in love with my 10/22 lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah, me too. 10/22 takedown Magpul.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    10/22 Takedown is just as reliable as a standard 10/22. The magazine quality and capacity alone might recommend it over the Henry.

MRH

Never sell your sword
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 5, 2020
    Chesapeake Bay
    I have an AR-7 from Henry and I really really like it, it has been very accurate over about 300 rounds put through it so far. I also have a 10/22, really like it also but it is not the takedown model. The Ruger is a good bit heavier but still shoots very accurate. I tend to take the AR-7 much more often than the 10/22.

warmachine

... AS LONG AS THEY FEAR
    Jan 20, 2013
    FOB PUFFY
    Have Armalite AR-7 fun and historic however mags can have issues if not original. Also play with Springfield M6 scout every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom