• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    Hi,
    What is a decent shooting rest for someone new to the hobby?
    Mostly indoor shooting AR,s and shotguns.
    Thanks in advance.

Mar 6, 2019
    Depends on distance and use. If it’s just for fun I’d go cheap with a Caldwell Rock Jr. It’s not the best but it beats a front bag IMO. You’ll probably want a rear bag too. It’s not needed but I like that pair. I got my Savage 10 to shoot quite a few 0.66” 5 round groups at 100 yds with that combo. There are better rests out there if you really want to get into it. If you wanted to step up to a little finer control the Caldwell Rock looks good for the price.

MaicoBill

MDS Supporter
    Aug 17, 2020
    Depends on distance and use. If it’s just for fun I’d go cheap with a Caldwell Rock Jr. It’s not the best but it beats a front bag IMO. You’ll probably want a rear bag too. It’s not needed but I like that pair. I got my Savage 10 to shoot quite a few 0.66” 5 round groups at 100 yds with that combo. There are better rests out there if you really want to get into it. If you wanted to step up to a little finer control the Caldwell Rock looks good for the price.
    Thank you, I will look into them both.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Unless you really need to strap the rifle down, a bag rest combo (front and rear bag) would be the most versatile and suit 99% of your needs.

I use a Caldwell Tackdriver : https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/bag-rests/tack-driver-bag/191743.html#start=1

And a Universal Rear Shooting Bag:

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/rests/shooting-rests/bag-rests/

I use a Lead Sled style rest for accuracy testing/ precision sighting in, but for general shooting purposes a sandbag rest works well.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    When using a Lead Sled, I find it difficult to get into a comfortable and consistent shooting position on some rifles. Recently acquired a set of Caldwell shooting bags and could not be happier for the type of shooting that I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom