• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Hey guys,

I have a gen 3 G19 that has slight sentimental value since it was my first handgun, so I don't want to trade it for a Gen 5. The only thing that drives me crazy after shooting Gen 4 for so long is the slippery grip on the Gen 3. I can live with the finger grooves, bigger grip, and smaller mag release.

I'm not looking to get a soldering iron and do it myself I would rather have it done properly. Who do you all use?

Thanks

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Maybe I should just trade it in. Ugh.

I'm not really a gun collector with the exception of old Walthers maybe. Other than that, every single gun I own is for a specific reason and never because of the cool factor. So in my overactive brain, I like to have all of them fit into a system. I generally prefer the same manufacturer in a few calibers as possible. In my case, 9 mm in 45.

Glock pisses me off. Because now I want all of them to be upgraded to Gen 5 because I vastly prefer the new grip, the enlarged magazine release, and the lack of finger grooves. But once you go down that rabbit-hole you'll never stop upgrading. So I'm trying to stop myself.

I feel like if I just get the stippling done it will be okay. Besides, I don't know what the trade value would be on a gen 3 g19. Especially one with non matching serial numbers. Some gunsmith completely screwed up my slide years ago so I have a factory slide but it's not serial number match to my lower. That may put people off.

I don't know why I'm talking to myself. :lol2:

Back on topic. Stipplers?

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    Have you tried something like grip tape?

You can get decent money for gen 3s on gunbroker. You could also shoot a polymer 80 and see if you like that grip better. Buy a frame, swap the parts, sell stripped factory frame on gb.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I had one of mine done at Engage Armament in Rockville. I had the finger grooves softened up as well to better fit my hand, and additional stippling done for my leading thumbs on both sides just under the slide so I had a better feel for my optimal hand position when switching from right to left hand shooting in competition. The additional stippling really helped me tighten up my groups by giving my thumbs a spot I know is close to optimal for me when doing fast sections of a course that require significant movement and non-dominant hand shooting - which has always given me problems.

You can also just use good quality grip tape if it's just a bit of extra grip you need. I bought some at the Glock Store, but plenty of others sell the tape fit for your generation pistol. Tape is not permanent so there's that as well.

If you like shooting with a cheese grater for a pistol go for it. I prefer grip tapes or tubes. Shoot a couple hundred rounds with bare hands on a stipled plastic frame and if you have soft hands you'll wish you didn't stiple your pistol. If your hands are calloused you should be fine. My job requires that I have a light touch so I purposely do not stipple my glock frames

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Having shaky hands, stippling was not something I was able to do for myself. That sent me in a different direction.

I used silicon carbide on a G17 a while back. Tape off the area to be treated, clean with alcohol, apply epoxy resin sparingly and sprinkle with silicon carbide at a grit of your choosing. Remove any excess epoxy before sprinkling the silicon carbide. Let stand for 24 hours and brush away any loose particles.

It leaves you with a permanent surface similar to grip tape, but it will not shift, shrink, or get sticky. Guaranteed that you will have an improved grip on the pistol, but may require use of gloves if firing over 100 rounds at an outing in pistols with significant recoil. I used a rather course grit for appearance purposes on a build intended more for defense than prolonged shooting. It looks really nice in the light. Finer grit is easier on the hands for longer shooting sessions but more of a flat gray finish, and for most a better choice.

RT468

Feb 19, 2009
    Catonsville Md
    Hope this isn't a threadjack,but had any body stippled both a factory Glock and P80 frame? Curious to see if materials reacted any different,either one took more or less time or temp to get similar results etc. I destroyed an aftermarket G43 frame because I wasn't happy with the slop of the factory slide on the aftermarket frame slide rails. Both side to side and front to back compare to factory pistol. I kept the grip to practice on before trying on a factory frame. By comparison the rail inserts were noticeable thinner in thickness and narrower than factory.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you like shooting with a cheese grater for a pistol go for it. I prefer grip tapes or tubes. Shoot a couple hundred rounds with bare hands on a stipled plastic frame and if you have soft hands you'll wish you didn't stiple your pistol. If your hands are calloused you should be fine. My job requires that I have a light touch so I purposely do not stipple my glock frames
    Stippling can be as aggressive or passive as you want it, if you know what you're doing. ;)

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Here's my primary carry gun, TTI did a perfect job removing the finger groves which hit me in exactly the wrong places, undercutting the trigger guard, thinning the grip, and stippling. The stippling is perfect for me, allows for a good purchase w/o being too aggressive. Not all stippling is like a cheese grater. ;^) A picture of a stock 30S at the bottom for comparison.

pl4mFh.jpg

xj3Akk.jpg

QkNxgR.jpg

raqg4z.jpg

naePZF.jpg

sSrXSN.jpg

zsOWFb.jpg

LcYf8s.jpg

qTgWKq.jpg

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    And when they didn’t remove the bottom lip and I wanted it removed, they sent me a prepaid shipping label, made the correction, and sent it back in 2 days at no charge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom