Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Narrowed it down to these 2 options.

I like the Rugged because:
    1) Lighter
    2) Arguably better materials, more durable
    3) I already have muzzle devices for Rugged suppressors

I like the OSS because:
    1) Lower back pressure for certain guns (SCAR)

OSS design is interesting, but it's more $$ and I'd need to buy muzzle devices.

I'm leaning Rugged, but open to persuasion in either direction.

I should add that I don't really care about other options that might be 1-2 db quieter than either.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have the Rugged Radiant 762. I did not have to modify my 5.56 10.5" barrel SBR to use it. It just worked out of the box so back pressure did not seem to be an issue. It is indeed light. It does dramatically remove the concussive edge from the shot. However, I think for an SBR you would still want ear pro. Have not tried 300 black subs YET. Actually, I need to find some 300 Black sub ammo. Can't wait to try on a bolt gun as I think it could be used in the short configuration in that case. Unfortunately I don't have any other center fire cans to compare to.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If you want to suppress a SCAR, you’re going to want minimal back pressure, or you’re going to want to get a custom port for your gas regulator (I think you can get those made pretty cheap). The OSS cans have some downsides, but they are among the best in terms of back pressure mitigation. Surefire suppressors also exhibit minimal back pressure. The CGS Helios QD is another good option, as you can swap end caps for max suppression or flow through. Sig has a new line of low back pressure suppressors as well, but they aren’t out yet.

Ultimately there’s no such thing as a free lunch when you want to add a suppressor onto a firearm. For better or worse, it alters the form and function of the weapon. Some people tune the gun to the suppressor, some people want low back pressure and care less about overall suppression, and some people live with the consequences of suppression without tuning their guns.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have several OSS suppressors. HKs are a PITA to suppress as you have to swap lock pieces (takes time or $ in spare assembled BCGs, optimal lock angles might not be available.) The no back pressure thing is real. On a machine gun, an increased cyclic rate is a dead giveaway of more back pressure. I can do a 72rd drum dump on the PTR32 with no noticeable cyclic rate change and no face full of eye watering gas (of course using cheap Russian ammo so that is no small feat.) At least 3 or 4 guys in the MDTCA club bought them after seeing mine run. They really do work.

As to "better materials" I'm doubtful. My one OSS has more FA dumps through it than I can remember. It's a 10.5" bbl too. It's exquisitely machined. There is no 'blast baffle' taking the brunt of the wear either. It's the one I worry about least in FA use. Downsides are its heavy (I don't care) and you have to thread it on really tight for it to stay tight. It doesn't unscrew itself but can get loose. I have the gen1s which might be a little more finicky at that than the later round welded ones.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    As to "better materials" I'm doubtful.

And I am doubtful that you can run a Radiant on a belt fed MG until it's cherry red daily w/o consequence; probably more marketing than reality. But I don't own a crew operated MG so I am not worried about it and am confident it's solid enough for my use cases. :)

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Downsides are its heavy (I don't care) and you have to thread it on really tight for it to stay tight. It doesn't unscrew itself but can get loose. I have the gen1s which might be a little more finicky at that than the later round welded ones.
    The newer ones stay on well and aren’t quite as heavy. OSS has been a real market disrupter in the silencer industry. I’m waiting to see how the new Sig cans do before making a decision on a flow through style can. At this point prob going with the CGS Helios but you never know. If OSS can work some more magic to get weight down a tiny bit more and suppression up a bit more without sacrificing back pressure, I’d pick one up.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I have a the OSS 762 and swap it back and forth between an 18” 556 and a 10.3” 300BO. No complaints here. The silencer shop is or was doing a 100$ gift card, which almost gets you a free muzzle attachment. I liked it so much I got a oss rad 22
    That works on every host I’ve tried. Guns don’t get much dirtier than when shooting without the can

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I got a oss rad 22
    Ohhhh, I didn't know these existed! Have a firearm that could really use it as it carbons up really fast. Need to get off my can (ha!) and buy one. Been needing to order a Bowers VERS50 too so will do them together.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Next MDTCA shoot at AGC I might take you up on that!

Hmm... I guess I better schedule one at some point. :)

I am one that bought the OSS after seeing smdub's OSS and another on a M16. I sold my Omega at a loss and bought an OSS at full price. Its worth it.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    You guys are making me regret my decision. In the end, I went with the Radiant because of 1) weight and 2) I already have Rugged mounts on several of my rifles. I'd love to try the OSS at some point.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    You guys are making me regret my decision. In the end, I went with the Radiant because of 1) weight and 2) I already have Rugged mounts on several of my rifles. I'd love to try the OSS at some point.
    The Radiant is a great can. I like it better than the OSS cans that I have shot, but my specific recommendation to you was due to your use on an FN SCAR. Not sure if the 20s is as overgassed as the 17, but a suppressor will bump that up a bit. The Radiant is relatively low back pressure for a traditional baffle can though, so you should be okay just changing gas settings. If you’re seeing noticeably increased bolt velocity, you should consider purchasing aftermarket gas jets and the tools to change them out.

And make sure you purchase Rugged SCAR-specific muzzle device so it indexes off the muzzle face. Or you get the shoulder rings from PMM to adapt for use with a regular suppressor muzzle device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom