• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jan 13, 2020
    Well, gmoney is making a claim based on limited time on the board that we wouldn't care if BLM was taken down on Facebook.

That's fair. I should rephrase to "most people here wouldn't give a shit if a BLM site was taken down". Wrong of me to lump all users here as having the same beliefs. And while I've not posted much, I've seen enough to see the general consensus and I'll stand by that statement.

But the social media platforms and app stores have every right to promote whatever side they want as well.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Just tried parler on my phone, and got: "Your request has failed due to a timeout."

Use a VPN.

Also, anything taken down from the app store can be directly downloaded elsewhere generally speaking.

We will have work around, even the great firewall of China is easily broken if you're a lil savvy.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Use a VPN.

Also, anything taken down from the app store can be directly downloaded elsewhere generally speaking.

We will have work around, even the great firewall of China is easily broken if you're a lil savvy.

I'm using a VPN. Private Internet Access. Working weird today.

Regards side loading software on the Android...good lord. I've done it. I can't imagine most people I know doing it though. That could be a killer.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    That's fair. I should rephrase to "most people here wouldn't give a shit if a BLM site was taken down". Wrong of me to lump all users here as having the same beliefs. And while I've not posted much, I've seen enough to see the general consensus and I'll stand by that statement.

But the social media platforms and app stores have every right to promote whatever side they want as well.

regards the social media platforms and app stores right of promotion...I'm not so sure that is really valid anymore. Right now for mobile you have Android (Google) and iPhone (Apple). Even though there are two of them, they are essentially a mobile monopoly, with an absurd amount of control over you. This was not part of the bargain when we all signed up.

Regards Social Media it's the same damn thing. You have Facebook, Twitter and YouTube essentially monopolizing their respective markets.

If FaceBook, Twitter, Google, Apple, and throw in Amazon and Microsoft given their dominance of the cloud markets, all conspire together (and it sure looks like they are) to stop new competitors from moving into the neighborhood, we have no practical alternative.

They are utilizing their success to keep others from playing in their sandbox. Given they are all left leaning companies, that leaves the rest of us ****ed.

Sure, I understand that censorship is technically really only censorship when dictated by government. From a practical standpoint I don't think that is the case anymore. These Big Tech companies are bigger than many countries. And they have an unbelievable amount of control over our lives. They are rapidly moving into being an effective shadow government. This is unhealthy to freedom.

When we all signed up for all those services, we never anticipated they would become so tyrannical.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Google, FB, and Twitter have all publicly stated their intent to support one political party. They have a name for the marriage of industry with government...... I don't recall it having a positive connotation.

Jan 13, 2020
    regards the social media platforms and app stores right of promotion...I'm not so sure that is really valid anymore. Right now for mobile you have Android (Google) and iPhone (Apple). Even though there are two of them, they are essentially a mobile monopoly, with an absurd amount of control over you. This was not part of the bargain when we all signed up.

Regards Social Media it's the same damn thing. You have Facebook, Twitter and YouTube essentially monopolizing their respective markets.

If FaceBook, Twitter, Google, Apple, and throw in Amazon and Microsoft given their dominance of the cloud markets, all conspire together (and it sure looks like they are) to stop new competitors from moving into the neighborhood, we have no practical alternative.

They are utilizing their success to keep others from playing in their sandbox. Given they are all left leaning companies, that leaves the rest of us ****ed.

Sure, I understand that censorship is technically really only censorship when dictated by government. From a practical standpoint I don't think that is the case anymore. These Big Tech companies are bigger than many countries. And they have an unbelievable amount of control over our lives. They are rapidly moving into being an effective shadow government. This is unhealthy to freedom.

When we all signed up for all those services, we never anticipated they would become so tyrannical.

Just because there's no "practical alternative", doesn't mean the government gets to tell these companies what they can and cannot write/post/allow. I'll definitely agree they're nearing a full monopoly, so there could be something done to let other companies enter the market. But that means an alternative to Google, not censoring Google. But we still do have alternatives. Google/facebook/amazon have just made such great products (love them or hate them) that we, as consumers, often find it hard to turn elsewhere.

I think it ultimately comes down to Facebook needs to pick a side between Media outlet or platform. They're trying to play both sides and claim they're not responsible for what gets published, while also pseudo-publishing by way of article promotion. You can't claim to be responsible for what's on your site some of the time. Either you are responsible, or you're only hosting a place for others to share.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I was under the impression that you can't side load apps on Apple stuff. It either comes from the Apple store or it can't be installed. If that is the case, iPhone users really have no other alternatives.

ed bernay

Feb 18, 2011
    Why is anyone here still on FB, Twitter etc.? They are actively working with our political enemies to silence our voices. They just helped steal an election.

In my opinion, we must all remove ourselves from Progressive industries and business to hurt them in the pocketbook. I know it is hard because they are convenient. I dropped FB months before the election and was never on Twitter. I joined both Parler and GAB. Next for me is to find alternatives to Google (Gmail) and Amazon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually there Are relevant portions of the Federal Communications Act . Someone else will hopefully chime in with the actual cites .

But the simple version is whether such endeavors purport to be Publishers or Public Utilities . Think Newspaper vs old school phone company .

If they're Publishers , they have not only the ability , but the obligation to edit and fact check everything " published " on their whatever , and are legally liable for it .

If they are public utilities, and have no liability for anything that passes thru or upon their ( whatever ) . AND exempt from Anti- Trust laws .

The social media platforms are trying to play both ways while complying with neither .

Want to remain without liability , and Anti Trust exempt , they can't exercise editorial control .

If they want to exercise editorial control they can do so . While complying with Anti Trust , And totally being responsible for content .

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I was under the impression that you can't side load apps on Apple stuff. It either comes from the Apple store or it can't be installed. If that is the case, iPhone users really have no other alternatives.

You are correct. The only way to side-load apps is to jailbreak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom