WTF does "Returned without Action" mean?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I am looking to convert my custom built 350 Legend AR pistol (14" barrel) to an SBR because my LOP is right at the limit for what they might consider constructive intent (plus the possible future brace problems); so I decided a $200 insurance policy was worth the possible headache(s) in the future.

I started an eForm 1 back in August, had to wait 2 months for the cover letter to submit my prints, then had to wait to get a denial because I put my name where the name of my Trust was supposed to go.

Fair enough....I made the required change, resubmitted (Nov 13th), immediately got the fingerprint cover letter, paid for a 2nd set of prints for me and my trustee and dropped em off at the post office on the 23rd (7 business days).

Now I get an email that "the status of your eForms submission with the subject Permit/Control number has changed to RETURNED WITHOUT ACTION".

Can anyone tell me what the eff that means?

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Ted no longer works in the NFA division. Probably better off calling them or send an ask the experts email.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    As a general rule (not-ATF specific), Returned Without Action on a submission means that the submission was not required so no response will be provided. I’d contact them to make sure, of course.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    They are surprisingly responsive through their "Contact Us" page. I had a similar issue with the cover letter due to incorrectly specifying the make/model of the firearm. Ended up resubmitting a new form per their advice.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    They are surprisingly responsive through their "Contact Us" page. I had a similar issue with the cover letter due to incorrectly specifying the make/model of the firearm. Ended up resubmitting a new form per their advice.

Did you have to resubmit new prints? I have already had to pay for prints for me and my co-trustee twice now.

I sent a message through "Ask an Expert", but they were less than helpful with the first submission.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Finally got an answer from the ATF (a week and a half later).

Talked with the examiner and found that your file data wasn’t viewable. So the file status has to be moved to Return Without Action (RWA) to force it back to viewable. Rather than just disapproving because it wasn’t viewable. Please disregard that email. The application is waiting on the background check.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Stop paying for prints, get an inkless pad from Amazon and do them yourself.
    Anything that mostly resembles a finger smudge will be accepted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom