• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore
    I just bought a M57 Tokarev and the weird old gun bug has bit me. Now i am in the market for a Makarov (model not just ammo type) pistol. Is one country of origin better than another? anyone have a preferred place to get surplus firearms online? or closed to baltimore city/county? Also what is a fair price to.pay for one? any help or info is super appreciated!

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Makarov or Makarov caliber?
    Well known Makarovs:
    Russian
    German
    Bulgarian
    Hungarian (FEG)

In 9mm Mak you can get CZ82, P64

there are more than this too

Between what I have and what others let me shoot. I liked the CZ82 the best. I want a Russian Makarov the most which is the most expensive.
    I had a commercial Russian and a Hungarian (FEG) Makarov once but sold them.

CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore
    Makarov model not just the ammo type lol the Bulgarian ones seem to be semi available, im not sure what is a good price either lol

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I love Makarov pistols. I think I am down to three (keepers) now. There was a period 3-4 years ago when a relatively minty Bulgarian would run around $350. I haven't watched the market since or looked at Gunbroker recently for one. They are rugged, reliable guns that are easy to shoot accurately. Unlike the Russian and East German pistols, the Bulgarians aren't C&R. I at one time had a P-64, CZ-82 (a pair), and several Makarov pistols. I never warmed to the snappiness of the P-64 design (even with the grip change) or its trigger. It was accurate. For the CZ-82, I had some pretty grips on it, but no matter the grips, I didn't point the gun as naturally or shoot it as well as the Makarov. I also didn't like the painted on black appearance/cosmetics. So eventually got rid of one and then the other. I often use a couple of my Makarovs (the third is minty and sits in the safe) to train new shooters. Most shoot them pretty well.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I have an East German and a Bulgarian Makarov. I like the East German just so slightly better. Operation just seems to be a little bit smoother. When I checked on gun broker years ago the East German models were a bit more rare and went for slightly higher prices. I have also shot a Russian Makarov and liked it as well - but only fired a few rounds so did not have enough time to form a solid impression. Can't explain why, but I really enjoy shooting Makarovs.

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    Russian ones!

"The rarest group to be imported were some original Russian military Makarovs, complete with fixed sights and the red bakelite grips. These Russian guns are rumored to have been inadvertently shipped with a group of East German guns. They too were bargain priced. As you can guess these were all sold very quickly. As a bonus for collectors, both the East German and the original Russian military manufactured Makarovs are on the BATF Curio and Relics list."

Anything with a circle star, IJ70 with a Fixed rear sight, Made in Russia by IMEZ :)

In any event get a couple of them..

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    WRT the Makarov, the East German guns have the best reputation, followed by Russian.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Perhaps just slightly off topic... I was shopping for Makarov ammo and came across the Buffalo Bore site - but the only thing they have is +P ammo and I am hesitant to use that in my Makarovs. The Makarovs are tough and I only shoot them once or twice a month, but I'd like them to outlast me (I am sure that they will!).

What do people think about running the Buffalo Bore +P Makarov ammo through them. Will that wear them out significantly faster?

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    East German if you can find it. If not, pretty much any of the others will do. Great gun, plenty of ammo still around (kind of) and pretty reliable.

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    East German if you can find it. If not, pretty much any of the others will do. Great gun, plenty of ammo still around (kind of) and pretty reliable.

Based on past history I would have agreed on you. In past years when there were ammo runs I felt like Makarov continued to be available because it is a relatively small niche. But based on an ammoseek a few minutes ago I have never seen Makarov ammo picking so slim.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Based on past history I would have agreed on you. In past years when there were ammo runs I felt like Makarov continued to be available because it is a relatively small niche. But based on an ammoseek a few minutes ago I have never seen Makarov ammo picking so slim.

It’s one of those deals where you have to Take a deep breath and not panic. Makarov ammo is available but not in the amount that we consider “normal”. This to shall shortly pass.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Kinda partial to the P-64. Snappy, accurate, and reasonably priced in today's market. Double action trigger can be improved if it is too stiff, but will never be great.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Kinda partial to the P-64. Snappy, accurate, and reasonably priced in today's market. Double action trigger can be improved if it is too stiff, but will never be great.

I really like my P-64. I have medium-large hands. My friends with large-Xlarge hands do not enjoy shooting it. You don't have to swap out the springs, but it makes a huge difference in recoil and double action trigger pull.

Wolff gunsprings work really well. Discounts given to C&R holders.
    https://www.gunsprings.com/

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I just bought a M57 Tokarev and the weird old gun bug has bit me. Now i am in the market for a Makarov (model not just ammo type) pistol. Is one country of origin better than another? anyone have a preferred place to get surplus firearms online? or closed to baltimore city/county? Also what is a fair price to.pay for one? any help or info is super appreciated!

We have a Hungarian PA63 and several CZ82's in stock

CursezZz

Jan 12, 2020
    Baltimore
    ]mostly looking for one that looks like this, which i can only describe as a "regular Makarov" lol

Attachments

• makkk.jpg
      makkk.jpg
      61.6 KB · Views: 127

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Yup. Those are the various versions of the PM. A lot of people fall into the trap of calling anything chambered for the 9mm Makarov cartridge a "Makarov"...which is equivalent to calling a Glock 19 a "Luger" because it's chambered for the 9mm Parabellum round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom