• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rats_teeths

Jan 4, 2021
    Good morning, so the past couple weeks I've been collecting stuff, and pretty close to getting it all together. Just a few questions though.

Right now, my hold up is that I need a change of address card for the lower. I've put in for one online, and made an appointment to have the license itself changed if I don't receive it by the 5th of February. I assume just going through with the process using my old address would be a crime, and not end well for me and I need to be patient, correct?

Second, my understanding is I can own 30 round mags, as long as I personally left the state and bought it. I went just over the border and found prices on them crazy inflated. Should have expected that I suppose. Would I have better luck with prices if I went on a day trip much deeper into the state you think? What about having a friend buy them and have it mailed to me for my birthday? Or would that be illegal?

Lastly, something I probably shoulda asked in person in the stores, but say I start assembling the lower and decided I've bitten off more than I can chew, what should be a reasonable price to have a shop put it together?

Thanks in advance, I hope y'all have a great day!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't understand the "change of address" for the lower.....once you own it you own it.

I think you are overthinking.

Yes, you can possess 30 round mags in MD. You just can't buy, take possession of, or sell them in MD. Having a friend ship them to you in MD is illegal.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I don't understand the "change of address" for the lower.....once you own it you own it.

Yes, you can possess 30 round mags in MD. You just can't buy, take possession of, or sell them in MD. Having a friend ship them to you in MD is illegal.

"take possession" also means no gifting one to a friend, I take it?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    "take possession" also means no gifting one to a friend, I take it?
    Correct. The only legal method to obtain a <10 round magazine is to go out of state and take possession of it yourself. You cannot give it to anyone else while inside Md. You can 'gift' one as long as you are outside of Md.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Right now, my hold up is that I need a change of address card for the lower. I've put in for one online, and made an appointment to have the license itself changed if I don't receive it by the 5th of February. I assume just going through with the process using my old address would be a crime, and not end well for me and I need to be patient, correct?
    Is this AR an SBR?

Rats_teeths

Jan 4, 2021

So to clarify, I don't currently posses the stripped lower. Went to two places to pick one up and both told me I'd need that current address or a change of address card in order for them to sell it to me.

Okay, I guess it does say take possession which would infact kinda knock that option right off the table.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Good morning, so the past couple weeks I've been collecting stuff, and pretty close to getting it all together. Just a few questions though.

Second, my understanding is I can own 30 round mags, as long as I personally left the state and bought it. I went just over the border and found prices on them crazy inflated. Should have expected that I suppose. Would I have better luck with prices if I went on a day trip much deeper into the state you think? What about having a friend buy them and have it mailed to me for my birthday? Or would that be illegal?

Lastly, something I probably shoulda asked in person in the stores, but say I start assembling the lower and decided I've bitten off more than I can chew, what should be a reasonable price to have a shop put it together?

Thanks in advance, I hope y'all have a great day!
    A few thoughts here - one, don't waste money on having an AR lower built for you. There are plenty of videos and tutorials online for doing this, so once you have it done, you'll be more familiar with how the rifle works and goes together. It takes very basic tools to do this. The most difficult part will be the trigger assembly, and even that's not difficult.

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "license" for your lower. Did you buy a stripped lower and have it transferred to you?

AR's are a pretty basic setup - I built exactly one on a purchased lower. Everything else has been 80%, which keeps the state of Maryland out of the picture altogether.

And yes, you can HAVE 30 round AR Mags - they are perfectly legal to own. The trick is that you have to obtain them outside of the state of Maryland and then bring them home - gun shops in PA, WVA, VA, or gun shows in those places.

Rats_teeths

Jan 4, 2021
    Lemme try to clarify here, because maybe I do have some kind of vast misunderstanding. Went to buy the stripped lower, was about to about to do the ATF check with the guy at the shop, dude asks me if the address on my drivers license is current. I say no, he says he can't sell me it until I can produce a change of address card or an upgraded license.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lemme try to clarify here, because maybe I do have some kind of vast misunderstanding. Went to buy the stripped lower, was about to about to do the ATF check with the guy at the shop, dude asks me if the address on my drivers license is current. I say no, he says he can't sell me it until I can produce a change of address card or an upgraded license.
    That's fair - but with that said, building an AR is actually not difficult. You're already on the hook for this stripped lower so go ahead and get it, but if you want to do more, go 80% next time.

Rats_teeths

Jan 4, 2021
    Thinking about building a second for the Mrs in not too terribly long. My only issues with the 80% was that cost for the proper things. Also, I've never used a drill press. Basic familiarity with power tools at best. But hey, truth be told I'm tempted to give it a shot after a few more paychecks.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Thinking about building a second for the Mrs in not too terribly long. My only issues with the 80% was that cost for the proper things. Also, I've never used a drill press. Basic familiarity with power tools at best. But hey, truth be told I'm tempted to give it a shot after a few more paychecks.

You don't want a drill press jig. The newer router jigs are a lot better.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you live anywhere close to central Maryland, get an 80% and we can finish it in my basement with my Easy Jig Gen 2 - mine does not do AR10 lowers, only AR15 - but it's almost idiot proof, and only takes about an hour.

Of course we'll have to wait until I'm out of Rona quarantine. :party29:

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    If you live anywhere close to central Maryland, get an 80% and we can finish it in my basement with my Easy Jig Gen 2 - mine does not do AR10 lowers, only AR15 - but it's almost idiot proof, and only takes about an hour.

Of course we'll have to wait until I'm out of Rona quarantine. :party29:

You have "machine shop" type setup? Or is it portable "apartment" router? lol

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Lot's of good advice on here and congrats on getting into the AR platform. It's a disease I tell you. The number of AR's you need will always be one more than what you currently have.

My advice during these times is to not rush. Don't buy cheap or sketchy parts to save time or $. That said, you don't have to spend a a ton to get good parts.

Also seems like there are already a few generous folks on here willing to donate their time and experience to help you. Definitely take them up on that. Learning the AR platform "the hard way" (aka by yourself) can be a very frustrating and costly experience.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You have "machine shop" type setup? Or is it portable "apartment" router? lol

I think you need drill press, router, vise, and work table.
    I have:

Easy Jig Gen 2
    Makita Trim Router
    Drill + drill bits in various sizes - I'm literally using my Ryobi cordless drill - There's no need for anything more because you don't do much drilling.
    End Mill bit in the correct size
    Bench Vise
    WD40 - used as a machining/drilling oil
    Shop Vac - you run this when you're doing your milling to suck up the largest percentage of aluminum chips that would otherwise get all over everything.

That's it. It's very very basic. Once you have the lower clamped in the jig, and the jig is clamped in the bench vise, you use the drill guide to drill the first hole that goes vertically all the way though the lower.

From there you start to mill it out, about 1/16th of an inch on each pass. You set the mill depth with the depth gauge on the top of the jig, and there are 3 stages to milling: (all milling starts from the hole that was drilled vertically through the lower receiver.

Stage 1: Mill out the entire upper to include the shelf at the back end of the receiver until the bit is all the way to the end of slot A:

Stage 2: Insert a pin to prevent the mill from milling past the top shelf and mill until the bit is all the way to the end of slot B.

Stage 3: Attach the trigger hole guide, and mill until the bit is all the way to the end of slot C. This cuts the trigger slot.

From there, you drill out the holes in the side, and it's done. Easy peasy.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Edit: I see trickG posted the info I was looking for.

I've not messed with the 80% stuff, but I'm interested now. What tools do I need exactly? I see that some folks use vertical end mills, some routers and some drills. Can someone point me in the right direction?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

I've not messed with the 80% stuff, but I'm interested now. What tools do I need exactly? I see that some folks use vertical end mills, some routers and some drills. Can someone point me in the right direction?

https://www.80percentarms.com/produ...lti-platform-ar-15-ar-9-and-308-80-lower-jig/
    Router, drill, vise, vacuum, oil

https://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-lower.html
    Lowers in stock here right now. If you want some do it soon because they have been hard to find in stock and sell out fast.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

If you wanted to cut to the chase, these are the basics:

Drill
    Trim Router
    Bench Vise
    Easy Jig or 5D Tactical - both are good, and very similar
    Shop Vac (optional, but not if you don't want aluminum chips everywhere.)
    Machining Oil I used WD40

Each jig will come with the tools/bits you need for the actual drilling/milling.

There are articles that talk about what trim routers are good, etc - just get the DeWalt. With mine - Makita - to cut the trigger slot I have to slightly pull the bit so that it's not fully seated in order to get the cut deep enough. I also had an issue with the bit slipping. I had to crank that collet down super tight or else it would slip, and I don't think my buddy had that issue with his DeWalt. I never mind buying tools - if I never make another 80 lower, I'll use that trim router for other things, and I'm sure I can sell the Easy Jig.

To explain a bit about the pics, in pic 1 I've got the slots I was talking about, A, B and C - those are depths. A is the first cut, then you install the pin to protect the shelf. B is mostly finished, and mills out the remaining depth. C cuts the trigger slot.

The second pic is the top plate, the side plates, the hardened steel drill guides (attached to the side plates) and the hardened steel trigger slot guide, as well as the aluminum piece that holds the receiver to the jig by screwing into the buffer tube threads.

Attachments

• 457C72D4-A495-431A-A69A-236600EA8D31.jpg
      457C72D4-A495-431A-A69A-236600EA8D31.jpg
      68.4 KB · Views: 138
    • 4F964677-7825-40E9-B9E1-6A40420D9047.jpg
      4F964677-7825-40E9-B9E1-6A40420D9047.jpg
      97.4 KB · Views: 150

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members