• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Those are small rifle mag primers, the OP may prefer Small Magnum Pistol or just Small Pistol his new loads depending on his powder selection.

2) Primers $1-2 a piece? WTF, are you smoking crack? Haven't seen prices jump that much. They may hit .05-.10 range based on supply & demand. And yes, WD-40 doesn't really kill them but it does help make them inert enough to de-cap safely.

3) Eventus stultorum magister ;)

1) Then get some other cases. I would use these as primed.

2) Have you been paying attention to prices the past month??? YES, Primer prices are CRAZY. YES, primers have sold for $2 EACH.

You find me primers for 10 cents each, I will buy 5000 each of SRM, SR, SP, SPM, LP, LR

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I would weigh them individually, and pull down the heaviest and the lightest ones. Then I would weigh the powder in each, and check it against a loading table. Next shoot the primers out of the empty cases to check if they work.
    If in spec- then good to go.

I worry less about all the loads being hot or weak than the careless reloader who either double loads or forgets to load powder in 1% of his cases. It is the one bomb or squib that are the most danger.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    15gr of 4227 isn't possible to double load . Even a compressed load of 4227 with 158gr will be fairly close to the CUP standard for .357 Mag .

I get all the usual cautions , but 4227 specifically is slow enough and bulky enough , it's all but impossible to get into trouble with a .357, .41, .44 Magnum using 4227 .

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    No, I’d pull the bullets, replace the powder with something new at a known weight from the powder manufacturer and shoot it though. Now is not a time to waste bullets or primers. Just because the paper says it’s H-4227 doesn’t mean it actually is, you also don’t know for sure that the paper actually goes with those loads, just that it’s with them now.
    I'd probably pull a few to verify them, then shoot them.

I've got a ton of my Dad's reloads - some of which date back into the late 70s and early 80s. I have no qualms shooting any of them - shooting his reloads, given that he's been gone now for over 20 years, isn't fundamentally different than what this guy is facing.

I know I'm about 5 pages too late, but given that the loads are virtually all the same it would be relatively easy to verify just how good the reloader was, provided you have some reloading gear of your own, such as a kinetic bullet puller and a scale.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I worry less about all the loads being hot or weak than the careless reloader who either double loads or forgets to load powder in 1% of his cases. It is the one bomb or squib that are the most danger.

That was hard to watch knowing what was going to happen.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    I am sure someone else already chimed in but if you have a lazy not doing anything day I would take apart one of those 357s and find out whats in it. You can always keep the primer and shell casing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom