• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Yesterday, I was at On Target teaching my daughter to shoot. She was using my S&W .38 snubby when a guy I had never seen before walked up behind us and stood there.
    At first, I thought he may have been an employee and he looked like he wanted to get my attention, so I had her cease fire and set the gun down.
    I turned to give this young man my attention and he had the balls to actually ask me if he could "try out" my gun.
    Well, he might have well asked for my car key. I told him that I was not going to hand a loaded gun to anyone that I did not know and I did not know him!
    I then told him if he wanted to try this type of weapon, that they probably had one for rent at the front counter.
    I encourage people to shoot often and am always willing to help a new shooter, but this was beyond what I would consider.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I let folks at the range shoot my guns all the time.

They, in turn, let me shoot theirs.

It's all part of the fun. Especially if folks are shooting odd, interesting, or rare firearms. Good times and smiles had by all.

Where he went wrong was flat out asking. Better to have shown an interest. Then you could have offered for him to shoot it.

Humdi

Apr 21, 2017
    In defense of nowbies...
    We wanna shoot every gun in the world. It's the novelty of it and most of us don't know the unwritten rules.
    I want to watch people shoot so I can take pointers, but not sure what the proper etiquette is...
    But I agree on the rental.
    They have a nice 1911 I wanna try next time.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Yesterday, I was at On Target teaching my daughter to shoot. She was using my S&W .38 snubby when a guy I had never seen before walked up behind us and stood there.
    At first, I thought he may have been an employee and he looked like he wanted to get my attention, so I had her cease fire and set the gun down.
    I turned to give this young man my attention and he had the balls to actually ask me if he could "try out" my gun.
    Well, he might have well asked for my car key. I told him that I was not going to hand a loaded gun to anyone that I did not know and I did not know him!
    I then told him if he wanted to try this type of weapon, that they probably had one for rent at the front counter.
    I encourage people to shoot often and am always willing to help a new shooter, but this was beyond what I would consider.

When I owned a SCAR 17, I had a father and son standing behind me watching me shoot at AGC. I turned around and said "who's next!". The look on the kids face after firing a few magazines was well worth the cost of the ammo. I didn't have to offer, and there is nothing wrong with someone denying a request to try out a rifle/pistol. But for someone who is new to the sport, it could be the moment that changes their opinion or sparks a new passion.

Not saying there's anything wrong with what you did or your reaction, but sometimes it's just as innocent as someone looking to try it out or start a conversation.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    I'll echo thoughts here. I usually express an interest and talk to people before even considering asking. And if I do happen to shoot someone else's gun, I always respond in kind by offering any of mine. And it's probably a good rule of thumb to only shoot one round. I don't like wasting other people's money. I've found the shooting community to be exceedingly friendly.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Absolutely NOT...

I do let people shoot my guns BUT ONLY AFTER I get to know them very well & have watched them shoot SAFELY...

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The guy probably could have gone about it in a different fashion; maybe strike up a conversation about the gun first. My guess is that if he had done that, you may have offered to let him shoot it before he asked. I guess this is tough to do at an indoor range.

Don't let it ruin your day. It's not that unusual.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    It depends. At a "rental" range, no way.

At AGC, if I see someone else with their own guns, and I have mine, sure. I let another left hand-er shoot my left handed AR so He could have the experience.

Your situation would not fit my level of comfort. I think you did the right thing

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    It depends. At a "rental" range, no way.

At AGC, if I see someone else with their own guns, and I have mine, sure. I let another left hand-er shoot my left handed AR so He could have the experience.

Your situation would not fit my level of comfort. I think you did the right thing

If this had happened at AGC, I would probably have let him shoot it. Shooters there have been "vetted", for lack of a better word. They have all gone through the safety orientation, too.

At On Target, anyone can walk in the door, sign a waiver and get into the range. Even had one idiot sweep the line with a loaded pistol yesterday. Then he got upset with me for pointing it out and telling him to point the muzzle downrange. His reply was that his finger wasn't on the trigger! Although there were plenty of employees in the store, there was no RSO in the range while we were there!

For all I know, he could have been an escapee from Clifton T. Perkins. And yes, I have run into one many years ago which may explain my caution around total strangers.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    All of my shooting is done at outdoor ranges with no rental capabilities. I have on several occasions shared guns with others without knowing them in advance. Usually some conversation occurs which leads into a mutual appreciation for the other guys type of firearm. I do understand your reluctance based on the way you were approached.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    maybe I am different but I usually let people shoot my stuff.

But I wouldn't if I've got a weird feeling or the hair on my neck stands up.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i would have let him shoot it after some basic instruction. but thats just me.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's kind of a weird situation. To have him just standing behind you without starting up a casual conversation and asking to shoot your handgun out of the blue????? I don't know. I'm a firm believer in first impressions. If this guy didn't give you the warm fuzzies, then you did the right thing. I've let a ton of people shoot my firearms, at both indoor and outdoor ranges. But usually after we've talked for a bit. I kinda think of it as getting neighborly first.

But to have some guy stand behind me while I'm shooting and then to just blurt out a question like that, I'd probably say no too.

YMMV

11wideglide

Feb 3, 2017
    Baltco
    I usually let people shoot my guns, but I have usually seen them a time or two at Delta Peach Bottom (My Range), lots of great folks there. But one time a guy asked if his girl could shoot my AR, I said sure why not. She than proceeded to drag my flash hider across the table when she picked it up as if she was being forced against her will to shoot it, I than proceeded to take my gun out of her hands and told them to learn to respect other peoples property. He agree'd with me, they got mad at each other and left.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Because of the weird stuff I take to the range, I often get people showing interest in what I'm shooting. I always offer it to them because I enjoy watching the smiles it always brings to peoples faces. For me, to sharing is always preferable to not sharing.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    In the past, I have let others shoot my guns, but as many of you describe, there is some neighborly conversation first. This young man just seemed a little odd to me and his approach put me on the defensive. Better safe, than sorry in this situation. I think I was uncomfortable with his request because he did resemble the nut I encountered from Clifton T. Perkins years ago. Experience has taught me to trust my first instinct. It is usually pretty accurate.
    Perhaps I could have asked a few questions but my focus was on spending quality time with my daughter. After he walked away, she told me she also got a funny feeling about the young man and was happy that I did not let him handle the gun.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    In the past, I have let others shoot my guns, but as many of you describe, there is some neighborly conversation first. This young man just seemed a little odd to me and his approach put me on the defensive. Better safe, than sorry in this situation. I think I was uncomfortable with his request because he did resemble the nut I encountered from Clifton T. Perkins years ago. Experience has taught me to trust my first instinct. It is usually pretty accurate.
    Perhaps I could have asked a few questions but my focus was on spending quality time with my daughter. After he walked away, she told me she also got a funny feeling about the young man and was happy that I did not let him handle the gun.

You did the right thing. I'm always happy to share firearms at the range (with no expectation of shooting the other person's guns, worries about ammo use, etc), but wouldn't like being approached in the manner you were and at a facility where the screening is minimal and the RSOs are infrequently present.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That's kind of a weird situation. To have him just standing behind you without starting up a casual conversation and asking to shoot your handgun out of the blue????? I don't know. I'm a firm believer in first impressions. If this guy didn't give you the warm fuzzies, then you did the right thing. I've let a ton of people shoot my firearms, at both indoor and outdoor ranges. But usually after we've talked for a bit. I kinda think of it as getting neighborly first.

But to have some guy stand behind me while I'm shooting and then to just blurt out a question like that, I'd probably say no too.

YMMV

Pretty much this.

I haven't shot at OnTarget in several years, way too many, let's just say inexperience and unsafe shooters.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think some folks here are forgetting the fact that the OP was there with his daughter. While I agree with most in that I always let others, and sometimes complete strangers, try my guns, I am super weary when it comes to my daughter's(and wife's) security and well being. I think things might have been different had he been there alone or with other friends, shooting each others guns.

I give the OP a break here and even kudos for his spidey sense. I would have done the same in his place.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom