5.56 End Cap Worth Getting for a 7.62 Can?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If I am shooting 5.56 and 300 Black (and 6.5 Grendel), is it worth it to get a 5.56 endcap for the 5.56? Or is that going to create more back pressure and do little or nothing for noise reduction at the ear on an AR?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For noise reduction at the ear, likely no real impact with a DI gun. As you pointed out, more back pressure.the bit of testing I’ve seen, a proper end cap might drop noise volume 2-3dB. But with a DI gun, that’s only going to be at the muzzle, not the ear.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Much depends on the can and the rifle/ammo. Increasing backpressure with a smaller cap can increase the ejection port bark, and make it sound louder unless you tune an AGB for it. Some of the older cans could show a decent reduction with a smaller cap, and much quieter with a wipe. Newer cans seem to be more efficient in general, and rely on turbulence by clips/ports to slow gas in the baffles and less on the bore diameter itself. That being said, if you can, try it. I have an Optimus with 22 and 9mm endcaps, not much difference at the ear with the "full/mid" config in 5.56 especially with short barrels and hot ammo, but a noticeable difference on 22s, and in 5.56 with the less efficient short/K configuration(only after the AGB is re-tuned). From a practical standpoint though, most of my 5.56 rifles can be tuned to a spot with my 30cal and 9mm cans where they are pleasant to shoot suppressed, and function reliably unsupressed. I don't always get that nice spot of overlap in function when adjusting for the smaller and more restrictive 22 cap.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Replaceable end caps are awesome because you can replace them in the event of a bullet strike. It’s also nice to customize the can with a flash hiding end cap, brake (dead air e brake), etc. I would generally recommend getting a caliber specific end cap only in cases where you are going to leave the can on a single rifle that you can tune to function with the higher back pressure, or for manually operated firearms.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The Wolfman should come with at least one wipe (mine did), so feel free to experiment for yourself. Generally speaking wipes reduce sound significantly, increase back pressure significantly, and cause significant POI shift.

Cobra121

Oct 31, 2019
    Anne Arundel County
    The 556 cap will provide minimal reduction with that round. I had the same question on my omega 300. No worth it. You can’t even tell the difference. 556 is too fast and noisy of a round. Stick with the bigger end cap

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    For 5.56 I’ve swapped end caps once and didn’t notice a real word difference. With the super sonic crack along with the function of the gun right by my head I just couldn’t make out a difference. If shooting a bolt gun it may be more decernable. If you plan to use the can for 22lr, there is a noticeable difference when shooting subsonic rounds by changing the cap.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    So, late to the thread and all, but there are interesting effects the endcaps can produce. Not sure what barrel length you're shooting out of, but we've seen dramatic differences in muzzle flash / first round pop on 10.5-12.5 out of a sandman K with different end caps. If you're shooting longer guns with bigger suppressors YMMV.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I have a YHM Nitro can that I bought for my .308, and I also used it on my 5.56 AR. It didn't make any difference in terms of noise with a .22 end cap. I just keep the .30 caliber end cap on mine and don't worry about it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So, late to the thread and all, but there are interesting effects the endcaps can produce. Not sure what barrel length you're shooting out of, but we've seen dramatic differences in muzzle flash / first round pop on 10.5-12.5 out of a sandman K with different end caps. If you're shooting longer guns with bigger suppressors YMMV.

Mostly with a 10.5" barrel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom