• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roosterfried

Aug 3, 2020
    I recently purchased a hybrid 80% lower from tn arms co. Ive settled on to building it up as mainly a hunting rifle (haven't decided caliber yet, debating 350 or 450 most likely). I think I want a fixed stock as I don't really see a large benefit to being able to move a collapsable stock.

I don't fully understand the buffer tube system. Is an A2 system and a 6-position carbine system the same? Would I have any drawbacks to running a fixed stock system? Would a carbine system and a fixed stock on that be better (magpul comes to mine)?

The sheer amount of parts and seemingly limitless options are overwhelming at times.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I recently purchased a hybrid 80% lower from tn arms co. Ive settled on to building it up as mainly a hunting rifle (haven't decided caliber yet, debating 350 or 450 most likely). I think I want a fixed stock as I don't really see a large benefit to being able to move a collapsable stock.

I don't fully understand the buffer tube system. Is an A2 system and a 6-position carbine system the same? Would I have any drawbacks to running a fixed stock system? Would a carbine system and a fixed stock on that be better (magpul comes to mine)?

The sheer amount of parts and seemingly limitless options are overwhelming at times.
    I've done a good bit of AR deer hunting. I'm of average height and length and I definitely prefer an adjustable stock. They tend to be more 'weildly' in a tight climbing treestand than a fixed, full length stock IMO.

I prefer an SBR in 300AAC, but that's an individual choice. Besides, the short system leaves me room for a suppressor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Does an A2 fixed stock fit you correctly ? If so , the only advantage for adjustable would be a cpl inches shorter to transport .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does an A2 fixed stock fit you correctly ? If so , the only advantage for adjustable would be a cpl inches shorter to transport .

IIRC an M4 stock, buffer and carbine buffer tube is a bit lighter than an A2 fixed stock and buffer.

Me personally I like the A1 length. Turns out that’s what the GWACS losers were molded to (and I think KV Arms reproduced that length with their new lowers).

That said, adjustable LOP is a nice option. When you are wearing armor or 5 layers because it is 0F outside, it’s nice to be able to shorten it up a notch or two. But I never use the maximum length.

I don’t have short arms either for someone 6’1”

chinchong87

Sep 2, 2009
    AA
    Sorta depends on what you’re doing with this rifle. Bench shooting? A2 is probably best.
    However, taking it in and out of the car? Moving with it? Shooting with different thickness of clothes? Definitely a collapsible style stock.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Is there a functional difference between different manufacturers of buffer tubes? I'm talking about known brands, not some one-off thing from a parts bin at a gun show. Just looking for a simple six position tube that will take a milspec stock. Magpul is my preferred brand, but they're OOS everywhere, and I'm not married to the brand either. Perhaps any brands to specifically avoid?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are basically 3 main buffer tube lengths, Rifle, carbine, and A5/AR10.

Fixed stock=rifle tube, some will use an A2 spacer, some will not. Torque the tube on with an armorer's wrench, use a rifle buffer, rifle spring, and the stock slides on, holds the rear detent spring in, and is secured with a screw under the butt plate.

Carbine tubes are the most popular, 7.25" long, 4,6 or more positions, they use carbine length buffers, carbine springs, and most any carbine stock you want to slip on it. Detent spring is secured with an end plate, and the tube is screwed in, end plate pushed forward, and all held with a torqued and staked castle nut. There are a lot of proprietary tubes for different applications, and pistol tubes that lack the adjustment holes underneath. You have some "enhanced" tubes that have a little extension on the bottom front edge that sits around the buffer retainer, this is designed to prevent carrier tilt from damaging the lower, and can be a nice feature in some builds.

A5/AR10 tubes are 8" long about 3/4" longer than a carbine buffer. Early carbine buffer systems were not all that reliable compared to rifle buffers, coupled with shorter gas systems and often less dwell they could feel harsh, and the lack of weight with 3 steel weights and 3oz buffers vs 5 steel weight 5.5oz rifle buffers contributed to the issues. VLTOR came up with the A5 system, a happy medium that used a longer buffer with 4 weights similar to a rifle buffer with the extension cut off, a rifle spring, and longer tube. It was a moderate success, with tube dimentions borrowed from the 3/4" longer AR10 carbine tube where the added length was needed for the longer stroke due to the longer 308 cases. Heavier buffers with tungsten weights can help add mass to a carbine or A5 system, so it's not a neccesary part, but you do gain some versatility, and usually a smoother recoil impulse with a slightly longer collapsed stock LOP.

Is there a functional difference between different manufacturers of buffer tubes? I'm talking about known brands, not some one-off thing from a parts bin at a gun show. Just looking for a simple six position tube that will take a milspec stock. Magpul is my preferred brand, but they're OOS everywhere, and I'm not married to the brand either. Perhaps any brands to specifically avoid?

Provided you know commercial spec tubes are trash and you want mil-spec only, there are some differences. Fit, finish, the number of adjustment posistions, drain holes, and some nice added features like a ramped area at the back that makes sliding a stock on easier. you also have tubes with an extension on the bottom to help protect the lower from wear due to carrier tilt, and add a little strength on heavier calibers. There is also style, and CAR or A5 lengths. I have used a lot of tubes, Had a few CMMG tubes, being they were good, cheap, decent finish, and nice to have on hand for builds. I really like the Aero enhanced tubes, they have the ramp on the back and extended part on the bottom mentioned above, nice tough finish and smooth interior that runs nice and quiet with a little grease. 2A armament's A5/AR10 tube is really nice with the carrier support extension, nice billet tube with milled lines, and 8 positions of adjustment, all for the same $50 as VLTOR's plain A5 tubes with annoying numbers stamped on top. Magpul UBR2s can be had for $150, include an A5 length tube and hardware, just add a buffer/spring and good to go, they are pretty awesome, worth the $40 or so over a rattle free stock, tube, castlenut and end plate. If you don't want anything special, then most any name brand Aero, BCM, CMMG etc tube will work, they all make them for around $20.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    There are basically 3 main buffer tube lengths, Rifle, carbine, and A5/AR10.

Fixed stock=rifle tube, some will use an A2 spacer, some will not. Torque the tube on with an armorer's wrench, use a rifle buffer, rifle spring, and the stock slides on, holds the rear detent spring in, and is secured with a screw under the butt plate.

Carbine tubes are the most popular, 7.25" long, 4,6 or more positions, they use carbine length buffers, carbine springs, and most any carbine stock you want to slip on it. Detent spring is secured with an end plate, and the tube is screwed in, end plate pushed forward, and all held with a torqued and staked castle nut. There are a lot of proprietary tubes for different applications, and pistol tubes that lack the adjustment holes underneath. You have some "enhanced" tubes that have a little extension on the bottom front edge that sits around the buffer retainer, this is designed to prevent carrier tilt from damaging the lower, and can be a nice feature in some builds.

A5/AR10 tubes are 8" long about 3/4" longer than a carbine buffer. Early carbine buffer systems were not all that reliable compared to rifle buffers, coupled with shorter gas systems and often less dwell they could feel harsh, and the lack of weight with 3 steel weights and 3oz buffers vs 5 steel weight 5.5oz rifle buffers contributed to the issues. VLTOR came up with the A5 system, a happy medium that used a longer buffer with 4 weights similar to a rifle buffer with the extension cut off, a rifle spring, and longer tube. It was a moderate success, with tube dimentions borrowed from the 3/4" longer AR10 carbine tube where the added length was needed for the longer stroke due to the longer 308 cases. Heavier buffers with tungsten weights can help add mass to a carbine or A5 system, so it's not a neccesary part, but you do gain some versatility, and usually a smoother recoil impulse with a slightly longer collapsed stock LOP.

Provided you know commercial spec tubes are trash and you want mil-spec only, there are some differences. Fit, finish, the number of adjustment posistions, drain holes, and some nice added features like a ramped area at the back that makes sliding a stock on easier. you also have tubes with an extension on the bottom to help protect the lower from wear due to carrier tilt, and add a little strength on heavier calibers. There is also style, and CAR or A5 lengths. I have used a lot of tubes, Had a few CMMG tubes, being they were good, cheap, decent finish, and nice to have on hand for builds. I really like the Aero enhanced tubes, they have the ramp on the back and extended part on the bottom mentioned above, nice tough finish and smooth interior that runs nice and quiet with a little grease. 2A armament's A5/AR10 tube is really nice with the carrier support extension, nice billet tube with milled lines, and 8 positions of adjustment, all for the same $50 as VLTOR's plain A5 tubes with annoying numbers stamped on top. Magpul UBR2s can be had for $150, include an A5 length tube and hardware, just add a buffer/spring and good to go, they are pretty awesome, worth the $40 or so over a rattle free stock, tube, castlenut and end plate. If you don't want anything special, then most any name brand Aero, BCM, CMMG etc tube will work, they all make them for around $20.

Many thanks for your reply. I'm years out from my last AR build and am learning a lot of this all over again. :thumbsup:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The A5 buffer system also has another advantage of the buffer having a captured spring in one of the weights which helps with the deadblow effect and keeping the weight against the bolt in battery when firing.

I only run A5 buffer tubes/buffers in my rifles now. I find them to be smoother and provide a wider window of operation with a wider variety of set ups, loads, suppressed or unsuppressed. And unless you plan to run your rifle with a fully collapsed stock, it makes no difference in the OAL when run in your desired position on the tube.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    if you go fixed , i bought a thordsen customs featureless stock . you can buy additional shims to make it any length of pull you want . i find adjustable stocks a bit short .

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    I find the collapsible stock very hand in the late season deer woods when your wearing the extra layers of clothing. You can shorten the stock to fit better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom