• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bruppert

Dec 4, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    We have several Rifles, Ammo and maybe a Shotgun or two we'd like to sell. What would be the best and/or safest way to sell these? I certainly want to make sure I do this legally in MD. I also want to get a reasonable price for them.

Thanks!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I prefer to sell to MDS members. Generally I will read their posts to make sure they are not a tool or a Mall Ninja. I've had several cases where people would join the forum and then ask to buy something. I reject those buyers. I"ve done armslist before and won't do that again. Its good to pass things to others here on the forum IMO and its a pleasure to deal with pretty much all those I've purchased or sold to here.
    Pistols I go through a MD state Police Barracks meeting at one to confirm the sale and start the legal transfer.
    Long guns I have them fill out a bill of sale. You can add a requirement if you desire to ask to get name and address and verify them on a MD case search (google it). That is up to you.
    I find reading potential buyers posts the be very informative.

I generally meet for Long guns or other items at a parking lot somewhere for transfer.

Good Luck

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You can sell them yourself or put them on consignment at an FFL or sell them to an FFL.

Selling yourself will yield the highest return (more money in your pocket). Consignment, the FFL will take a percentage of the sale price. So unless they can sell them for a LOT more than you can, you will get less. But low hassle.

Selling to the FFL will also reduce the money you get, but your are down, walk away with cash in your pocket.

You can sell most long guns (rifles and shotguns) face to face. But if they are on the banned list, they cannot be legally sold to another MD resident. You can sell them to an FFL. Also, face to face long gun sales are only allowed between residents of the same state. So MD resident cannot sell directly to PA or VA resident. They would have to go through an FFL in either state.

Handguns MUST be transferred through an FFL or using MD State Police (for MD resident). The FFL must be in the state where the buyer resides. So selling to PA resident, it must go through a PA FFL.

You can sell anything to an out of state FFL

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    You can sell them yourself or put them on consignment at an FFL or sell them to an FFL.

Selling yourself will yield the highest return (more money in your pocket). Consignment, the FFL will take a percentage of the sale price. So unless they can sell them for a LOT more than you can, you will get less. But low hassle.

Selling to the FFL will also reduce the money you get, but your are down, walk away with cash in your pocket.

You can sell most long guns (rifles and shotguns) face to face. But if they are on the banned list, they cannot be legally sold to another MD resident. You can sell them to an FFL. Also, face to face long gun sales are only allowed between residents of the same state. So MD resident cannot sell directly to PA or VA resident. They would have to go through an FFL in either state.

Handguns MUST be transferred through an FFL or using MD State Police (for MD resident). The FFL must be in the state where the buyer resides. So selling to PA resident, it must go through a PA FFL.

You can sell anything to an out of state FFL

Sell it yourself and if concerned with being under the letter of the law just have it transferred at a LGS, they do these for anywhere from $30-50 range usually.

One of my wife’s dumb family members put a minty 1950 Browning A5 that had belonged to her great uncle and she had shot as a kid on consignment at a local shop some years ago without telling anyone, fortunately we found out and had her pull it and sell it to me. I think it was like a 20% of sales price fee for consigning.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Suggest you sell the rifles/shotguns with their respective ammo together, it will expedite the sale and give you a decent price, only because ammo is hard to come by.
    Dealing with folks on MD shooters has been safe for me, I had two purchases and a sale, all went well.

You can also consign them with a local dealer, they will take a cut, but you don't have to do anything. I have sold through United, they try to price them fairly and take a 15% cut, they are on MD shooters:
    https://www.mdshooters.com/member.php?u=28354

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I've sold and bought several riffles from MDS members and they have all been smooth transactions. Now if I were going to sell any handguns, I would probably put them on consignment at a local FFL since the 77R is required for a handgun and the gun will get a lot more exposure at a place like United Gun Shop. Not only that but I think a lot of first time buyers would rather deal with a gun shop than somebody on the internet, plus first time buyers will pay a lot more, as opposed to someone here that just looking to add to their collection or scratch an itch.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Are there any whacky new Maryland laws saying you can't sell a firearm, at an FFL, with a box of ammo to sweeten the deal?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It is not uncommon to see a firearm at a LGS with accompanying ammunition , IF it is a rare or unusual caliber . Think .32WSL . Mainstream cals not so much .

For private ( or private initiated going thru 77R ) included ammo for in demand cals can be a big selling point .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Sell Firearms What does this phrase mean? It sounds like English but the words make no sense :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom