• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I am serious,
    basic voter ID is discarded as being a burden and expense on the minority community and under privileged.

In that light, NFA restrictions on suppressors should be held in the same light,, has any group challenged the NFA on these grounds?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I am serious,
    basic voter ID is discarded as being a burden and expense on the minority community and under privileged.

In that light, NFA restrictions on suppressors should be held in the same light,, has any group challenged the NFA on these grounds?

Did it work for any HQL lawsuit?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In order for suits like this to have ANY chance of working, you need to PROVE disproportionate impact, not simply allege it. Proving it - assuming it's true - takes time and resources.

Further, the 2013 voter ID law that got overturned got overturned because they could prove the INTENT was racist. I doubt you could prove that for the NFA.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Do you have any links or info on how it was determined the intent of a voter ID law was racist? I have a genuine interest in this from a historical standpoint.

Further, the 2013 voter ID law that got overturned got overturned because they could prove the INTENT was racist. I doubt you could prove that for the NFA.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I am serious,

Considering gun control in general has its origins based on racism, I don't think this would get very far.
    Having said that, I'm for anything that would get rid of the NFA

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Do you have any links or info on how it was determined the intent of a voter ID law was racist? I have a genuine interest in this from a historical standpoint.
    Sorry, just what I read in terms of why the current NC law has survived its latest round of appeals while the other one did not.

ETA: you could prove it pretty easily by FOIA'ing lawmaker emails and then presenting those as evidence in court. You'd be surprised at what kind of stuff politicians put in emails. :P

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This is like a hate crime... it only works one way...

You are thinking of going the opposite direction on that one way street.

To be frank, what is the use... all states will immediately pass worse laws than the NFA. At least the $200 fee has been destroyed by inflation. I think we are in for some more inflation soon... Soon it will be just the long wait time pissing us off. So unless you get rid of the ability for the States to override the Constitution, there is not much point.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    You aren't supposed to pay taxes for a right but....... $200/per

There is the ideal and the reality. I agree, I should be able to buy a MG from the hardware store without them so much as asking me for my name and I can load it up and walk down the street in middle of Baltimore without the Police bothering me...

However this is what we have left of our rights unless you are willing to risk death or imprisonment. Now if I am on your jury, I will be happy to find you not guilty but its still going to destroy your life if you have one...

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    You aren't supposed to pay taxes for a right but....... $200/per

No, but they have men with guns who will enforce this and we don't have men with guns who will defend against it. So it will be enforced.

There is the ideal and the reality. I agree, I should be able to buy a MG from the hardware store without them so much as asking me for my name and I can load it up and walk down the street in middle of Baltimore without the Police bothering me...

However this is what we have left of our rights unless you are willing to risk death or imprisonment. Now if I am on your jury, I will be happy to find you not guilty but its still going to destroy your life if you have one...

Agreed. If I or someone like me is on your jury you won't even need a lawyer. Hopefully there are.more who think the same.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    No, but they have men with guns who will enforce this and we don't have men with guns who will defend against it. So it will be enforced.

Agreed. If I or someone like me is on your jury you won't even need a lawyer. Hopefully there are.more who think the same.

Most people with this point of view will be weeded out and never see the jury box, unfortunately.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would say the NFA as a whole, not just suppressors, how many people can afford a 20-60k machine gun?

Machine guns are only expensive because of the limited supply of legal weapons, thanks to the ATF registry. Unless legislative action is taken, there will be no new machine guns on the list. Pre-1986 transferable machine guns amount to fewer than 178,000 eligible guns. Or maybe 1 for every 500 gun owners, crudely estimated.

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    I would say the NFA as a whole, not just suppressors, how many people can afford a 20-60k machine gun?

NFA didnt raise the price of a machine gun. The Hughes Amendment did by limiting the # of transferable machine guns. And that through by sake of private market and general capitalism. No actual taxation by the govt, other than the same $200 tax stamp.

Not Sure

Jan 1, 2021
    Gun laws have always been seen in the glow of two lights. That of the criminal, and that of the opportunist. The criminal laughs and appreciates the help. The opportunist seeks recognition and status for their efforts to ensure the safety of society.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Machine guns are only expensive because of the limited supply of legal weapons, thanks to the ATF registry. Unless legislative action is taken, there will be no new machine guns on the list. Pre-1986 transferable machine guns amount to fewer than 178,000 eligible guns. Or maybe 1 for every 500 gun owners, crudely estimated.

Often said but not blanketly true. I would actually be willing to bet many of the historic MGs would go up in value if the NFA was lifted. Why are lever guns selling so high? Colt SAAs? no NFA holding them back? True, many M16 and Macs would go to nothing but original WWI and WWII guns may go up in value with a larger population now willing or able to buy them.

Good quality old guns with historical significance will always bring big money, NFA or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom