• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    My fault, I think. I was hand priming 338 Lapua brass with Fed 215m primers. I already primed about 30 pieces of brass when the whole tray exploded. Got a cut on my nose, burned my hands, blood blister on finger, knuckle is swollen and a cut on my knee through my jeans. I was extremely lucky. So what happened? The piece of brass I was priming was new Lapua brass, didn't feel any resistance while priming, at least no different than usual light pressure. I was not using proper technique though. I recently started tipping the device away from my face, just in case a primer went off. The manual clearly says to hold the tray horizontal to reduce the possibility of feeding multiple primers. It was a chain reaction detonation so all 70 primers in the tray went off at once. Wife is pissed there is a hole in the ceiling and it looks like someone set off a shotgun through the ceiling (primers ) Time to put safety first, wear the goggles and don't get complacent. Also time for a new priming tool.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    if it was directed down and not towards the case, maybe a backwards primer plus something else like a piece of debris on the piston?

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    if it was directed down and not towards the case, maybe a backwards primer plus something else like a piece of debris on the piston?

I vote for the debris. I don't care who you are but after 10's of 1,000's of rounds one will do it backwards. I have, punch it out, flip and still shoots.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    When I first started reloading I started with a Lee Challenger press kit, which came with the Lee hand priming tool - similar to the RCBS.

The Lee manual specifically said to not use Federal Primers with that tool - I'm assuming this is why?

Edit: I wanted to be sure I wasn't misquoting that so I looked for it in my Lee loading manual. It's right there in a section about loading for rifle cartridges, chapter 5, page 83. I'd post a pic of the text but I don't want to violate any kind of copyright.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ok then, here it is, straight from the Lee Reloading manual.

Attachments

• BCDF8037-4DD7-4AD7-8BA4-305A0DDCAF1A.jpg
      BCDF8037-4DD7-4AD7-8BA4-305A0DDCAF1A.jpg
      120.1 KB · Views: 733

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Good to know... I use the fgmm 205 with the RCBS hand primer. I wonder why specifically its a federal primer thing

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Ok then, here it is, straight from the Lee Reloading manual.

I wonder how many people today would sell their unused Federal primers based on this information? It seems I may have been reloading on borrowed time, since I prefer Federal primers and use them in both my Dillon and RCBS universal hand priming tool.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I know a guy, that is rumored to have been working on his large high powered rocket in his living room, when an ejection charge went off, rumored to be 10grams or so of black powder, propelling the airframe into the ceiling, where the other charge also went off!!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    My fault, I think. I was hand priming 338 Lapua brass with Fed 215m primers. I already primed about 30 pieces of brass when the whole tray exploded. Got a cut on my nose, burned my hands, blood blister on finger, knuckle is swollen and a cut on my knee through my jeans. I was extremely lucky. So what happened? The piece of brass I was priming was new Lapua brass, didn't feel any resistance while priming, at least no different than usual light pressure. I was not using proper technique though. I recently started tipping the device away from my face, just in case a primer went off. The manual clearly says to hold the tray horizontal to reduce the possibility of feeding multiple primers. It was a chain reaction detonation so all 70 primers in the tray went off at once. Wife is pissed there is a hole in the ceiling and it looks like someone set off a shotgun through the ceiling (primers ) Time to put safety first, wear the goggles and don't get complacent. Also time for a new priming tool.
    Been there, done that. Scary shit. I was inadvertently trying to load two SRPs into a 5.56 crimped case. Caplooy!

I'm glad you didn't get seriously hurt. It was years before getting up the nerve to use it again, even though I knew what I did wrong. :o

Here's where one primer ended up. Six feet away and over my left shoulder(pic is sideways).

Attachments

• 20200501_200904.jpg
      20200501_200904.jpg
      30.4 KB · Views: 329
    Last edited:

Rockn93yj

Nov 24, 2011
    Thinking back to the incident I was having trouble with the 338 brass staying in place. The piece before the incident actually popped out of the tool and rolled across the floor. Perhaps the case was not retained properly in the tool combined with the "sensitive?" primers and inproper technique. Looking into a bench mounted priming tool now.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Glad you are ok.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING

This is exactly what community in general is about. This is specifically what our community is about.

Sharing what works and what doesn’t.

I’ve learned some hard lessons on my own. I’ve benefitted substantially from the chance to learn from the mistakes and misfortunes of others.

Thanks again. Buy a lottery ticket.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Glad you are ok.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING

This is exactly what community in general is about. This is specifically what our community is about.

Sharing what works and what doesn’t.

I’ve learned some hard lessons on my own. I’ve benefitted substantially from the chance to learn from the mistakes and misfortunes of others.

Thanks again. Buy a lottery ticket.

Thanks for posting indeed. The entire community benefits.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Yeah, this is why I don't use hand priming systems. Lotta explosives right next to you waiting for a chain reaction, and sometimes it's hard to spot the debris and swaged cases that make it happen.

These explosions can happen with bench systems, but it's vastly less likely in most cases, especially if you're paying attention at all.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Glad to read all of this! I will take jumping into this new hobby a little more serious!
    Reloading isn't hard, but it's damned serious business. Even when you do things right, you're going to experience mechanical failures, once-fired case issues, etc. Gotta keep an eye on all of it at all times.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The Richard Lee book goes into some detail about primer systems sensitivity safety etc.
    Theirs some older text out there with more info about energy danger space what how far and so on.
    Some of Lee’s text/info was taken directly from the same source.
    The source is decades old though so it probably doesn’t mean much in today’s environment.
    Bottom line is primers are no joke especially when theirs more than a few together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom