• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with Sig Sauer 365 9mm ammunition. I have a Glock 43X to pick up next week. It has a 3.41" barrel. Is ammunition like this worth using over standard 9mm rounds?

I've seen some writeups/reviews saying it's optimized for short barrel conceal carry pistols.

Supposedly, standard rounds have increased recoil (in the short barrel pistol), which leads to increase muzzle rise, the powder may not burn completely when fired from shorter barrels, which can result in excessive muzzle flash and a reduction in performance.

I've been stalking the Sig Sauer web site trying to pick some up without any luck yet.

Any info/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I usually carry a 365 off duty and have put a lot of rounds through it from Gold Dots to Critical Duty, old Winchester Ranger, etc... (I've also run +P duty loads through it just to see how it acted)

Never a failure or problem, nothing changed the way the pistol acted/reacted on follow up shots, no change in point of aim/point of impact.

Is there a possible benefit to their ammo? No idea but IMHO if there is, it's nothing you're likely to notice nor is it going to make enough of a difference.

Good marketing strategies don't make up for trigger time and training. Worry less and shoot more.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I have tried both the defense and practice versions. I haven’t noticed a difference in POI or point of aim when compared to other brands at 10 yards up to 25 yards. Nor did I notice a big difference in felt recoil.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I don't know anything about the SIG ammo, but if you're looking for something to compare it with, Hornady makes similar claims about their Critical Defense ammo being designed for optimal performance in a short barrel, CC type weapon; vs their Critical Duty line which is a bonded bullet intended for full size firearms.

kb830

MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2020
    Clarksville, MD
    I usually carry a 365 off duty and have put a lot of rounds through it from Gold Dots to Critical Duty, old Winchester Ranger, etc... (I've also run +P duty loads through it just to see how it acted)

Never a failure or problem, nothing changed the way the pistol acted/reacted on follow up shots, no change in point of aim/point of impact.

Is there a possible benefit to their ammo? No idea but IMHO if there is, it's nothing you're likely to notice nor is it going to make enough of a difference.

Good marketing strategies don't make up for trigger time and training. Worry less and shoot more.

I have tried both the defense and practice versions. I haven’t noticed a difference in POI or point of aim when compared to other brands at 10 yards up to 25 yards. Nor did I notice a big difference in felt recoil.

Tried this and wasn't too crazy about it so went back to Gold Dot 124 +P.

https://www.sigsauer.com/9mm-115gr-elite-v-crown-365-jhp-1.html

Awesome stuff. Thank you. This was my gut/feeling, but wanted to get more experienced shooters' opinions. More range time it is! Thanks again.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ugh "optimized". Get some good factory ammo, Gold dots, Hornady, shoot some through to test out the cycling and call it a day.

Supervel

Jul 28, 2016
    Harford County
    I've run everything including numerous handloads of Plated and coated pills thru my 365 and 365XL. The pistol hasn't
    Gagged on any of it. I did install a better trigger which I prefer. Really helped my first round draw and fire drill results.
    A grip sleeve also eased the recoil affect on my rebuilt hand and wrist .

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Wondering if anyone has any experience with Sig Sauer 365 9mm ammunition. I have a Glock 43X to pick up next week. It has a 3.41" barrel. Is ammunition like this worth using over standard 9mm rounds?

I've seen some writeups/reviews saying it's optimized for short barrel conceal carry pistols.

Supposedly, standard rounds have increased recoil (in the short barrel pistol), which leads to increase muzzle rise, the powder may not burn completely when fired from shorter barrels, which can result in excessive muzzle flash and a reduction in performance.

I've been stalking the Sig Sauer web site trying to pick some up without any luck yet.

Any info/insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

I want to try some in my 365 too. There are numerous videos on YouTube that illustrate it performs very well. That said, it’s not going to turn 9mm into 10mm Underwood rounds.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Here's the inherent thing about " Short Barrel Ammo " :

There is no consensus what it should seek to accomplish .And the two most frequent answers contradict each other .

Is it to Increase the velocity , so as to closely match the velocity of typical ammo from regular length bbls ?

Is it to decrease recoil aka better control aka less painful to shoot from subcompact polymer pistol that weigh less than a Unicorn fart ?

I know I prefer one approach in sub 1lb 9mm , and the other in Commander length .45acp , YMMV .

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    The concept of ammo dedicated to short barreled pistols is interesting and I think a couple of years ago some of the gun magazines had articles on it.

Blaster’s approach I think is the best, pick ammo from an established make that works in your pistol and you can shoot well. When the 365 ammo came out I ordered a case of the practice and defensive stuff, and did a non scientific comparison at the range with Hornady Critical Defense and some HST (not +P) I had. This is when the price of ammo was reasonable. I didn’t own a chronograph at the time. For me, I couldn’t tell a difference in range performance.

I haven’t been able to find any data that concludes there is a difference in real world shootings. Currently, I carry ammo that I can find and afford to practice with.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Here's the inherent thing about " Short Barrel Ammo " :

There is no consensus what it should seek to accomplish .And the two most frequent answers contradict each other .

Is it to Increase the velocity , so as to closely match the velocity of typical ammo from regular length bbls ?

Is it to decrease recoil aka better control aka less painful to shoot from subcompact polymer pistol that weigh less than a Unicorn fart ?

I know I prefer one approach in sub 1lb 9mm , and the other in Commander length .45acp , YMMV .

seems there are primarily 2 strategies for "short barrel specific" . A 115gr load to keep velocity up for bullets that tend to not expand reliably at lower velocities . The other is to reduce recoil/flash/noise with a lighter charge of faster powder. The V-crown does at least the first, possibly both. Not a bad idea IMO, but heavier bullets tend to require less powder anyway, and especially 147s tend to have a cavity geometry that expands at lower velocities, they also tend to be more efficient in short barrels. I use 124gr HSTs in most every defensive 9mm. They were available at a decent cost for LEO marked 50rd boxes(pre-covid), have solid performance from a top-manufacturer, function in everything, hit POA and relatively accurate from everything, minimal flash/recoil/ noise from short barrels. I bought a case to replace carry ammo when it gets beat up, and practice with it. ALL of that was way higher on my list than subtle differences in FBI test stats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom