• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    Youtube hasn't been very helpful. There's so many types of hooks. I'm thinking pan fish and crappies. I have a rod, now I need things for the end of the line.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    hook size is pretty simple along with weight. I would put sunfish, crappie, perch into the same category. When fishing with a jighead where the weight and hook are together they are usually matched. I would typically stay between 1/16oz. and 1/4oz. There are times that make the decision more difficult like current, wind, and depth. I am assuming you already have the proper rod and correct line. They all are important to match the bait/lure. You don't want to have a stiff rod and thick line. Can you provide more details of what your planning on doing?

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    I was looking at the pond at IWL and had the idea that some fishing gear kept in the truck would be cool. Back when I was gainfully employed. I exceeded my "keep it cheep" philosophy with a 5.5ft uglystik. That was a desire since my first rod lost an argument between a moving canoe and a stationary tree branch.:sad20:

Added a well reviewed china reel and 30# test spiderwire braided line. I'm refusing to use anything with memories attached in case my truck is stolen. Not likely but dad had two stolen from parking lots.

So, maybe I'm looking for tiny circle hooks and worm hooks. There's alot of different hooks out now. Maybe tiny jigs with plastic wiggle thingy's for pond and stream pan fish. I've only fished lures mostly. I might throw in something for bass though that really needs a boat.

Since this is my bugout truck. I've considered catfish for eating. But I've never purposely fished for catfish.

I'll throw in some splitshot and needle-nose pliers, making sure something can cut braided line. Maybe a fly or two. Though my first attempt at fly fishing ended after whipsnapping off my new flies with each cast. :tdown:

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was looking at the pond at IWL and had the idea that some fishing gear kept in the truck would be cool. Back when I was gainfully employed. I exceeded my "keep it cheep" philosophy with a 5.5ft uglystik. That was a desire since my first rod lost an argument between a moving canoe and a stationary tree branch.:sad20:

Added a well reviewed china reel and 30# test spiderwire braided line. I'm refusing to use anything with memories attached in case my truck is stolen. Not likely but dad had two stolen from parking lots.

So, maybe I'm looking for tiny circle hooks and worm hooks. There's alot of different hooks out now. Maybe tiny jigs with plastic wiggle thingy's for pond and stream pan fish. I've only fished lures mostly. I might throw in something for bass though that really needs a boat.

Since this is my bugout truck. I've considered catfish for eating. But I've never purposely fished for catfish.

I'll throw in some splitshot and needle-nose pliers, making sure something can cut braided line. Maybe a fly or two. Though my first attempt at fly fishing ended after whipsnapping off my new flies with each cast. :tdown:

30# test is complete overkill unless you're going for monster cats. For panfish and bass, I usually use 4# mono on my ultralight and 8 or 10# monofilament on my larger spinning reel.
    Baitcasting gets 12# mono.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    30# test is complete overkill unless you're going for monster cats. For panfish and bass, I usually use 4# mono on my ultralight and 8 or 10# monofilament on my larger spinning reel.
    Baitcasting gets 12# mono.

If I read his post correctly he is using 30lb braid which is probably much thiner line. How thin Spyderwire is i'm not sure but I use Diawa Samari braid which is 30lb strength with the diameter of 6lb mono. With all that said, for panfish, perch, and other small fish I would probably go a different route.

Kagetsu

Feb 4, 2009
    If I read his post correctly he is using 30lb braid which is probably much thiner line.
    It's about the same size as 6# mono. It's just that braid is crazy strong. It apparently needs good knots because it slips easy. I chose light action rod.

I'm thinking some white twirly tail grub jigs, Tiny/medium circle and strait hooks. some split shot. Probably a spinner and a float lure or two. Sunnys seem to bite on anything. I've caught tiny ones on bare hooks.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    It's about the same size as 6# mono. It's just that braid is crazy strong. It apparently needs good knots because it slips easy. I chose light action rod.

I'm thinking some white twirly tail grub jigs, Tiny/medium circle and strait hooks. some split shot. Probably a spinner and a float lure or two. Sunnys seem to bite on anything. I've caught tiny ones on bare hooks.

Get two spinners unless you have a ladder to get the first one out of the tree.
    Good luck, have fun and don’t over think it too much. Most of the differences in tackle is to attract the fisherman not the fish.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    For bluegill at ponds, reservoirs and lakes, I've had my best cheap luck with myself and the kids with small hooks and poppers. Worked when I was a kid and still seems to work well. I forgot how we did it and always have to play around but we'd use a bobber and a clamp on lead weight to use with a spinning rod and very light line. Weight to cast further, bobber to keep the line above the water then the popper floats. Small hooks with live grubs also seemed to work well and a bobber. Last time I was at 6th grade camp, I volunteered for the fishing and we took in 80+ fish in the day I worked. I bet it was all of 10 fish to make up those 80, they just kept coming for the free meal of grubs.

poppers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Flyafish-Bass-Popper-Fishing-Panfish/dp/B07DQPDT7D/ref=asc_df_B07DQPDT7D.

My son does well on large mouth bass on his own with almost anything. He's just good at casting and stuff that looks like frogs. For him, its where to go how to cast more than what is on the end of the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom