• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Hey ya'll,

So I want to go deer hunting this year. I've never been hunting before. I have a few friends through work that hunt, but not sure if they'll be going this year or not. I'm welcome to go with them, but I don't want to leave it up in the air if I'm going to be able to go or not based on if they are.

So on that note, I don't know if this is a thing, but would anyone that knows what they are doing mind taking me with em? I'm not out trying to get monster bucks, I just want meat. I'm a competent shooter.

Again, I don't know if this is a "thing", asking someone to show me the ropes... But I don't really know what else to do?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

aht2131

Aug 5, 2011
    So this is always a tough request. I would recommend you look into the public lands that are available and make a plan for where you would like to hunt. Once you have decided a spot perhaps someone would be willing to go along with you there and give you some tips. But outside from that most of us, especially those who hunt public land kind of have our spots scoped out and its not really a reasonable ask for someone to take you along with them. Most folks just aren't going to be comfortable sharing that kind of info I think.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    So this is always a tough request. I would recommend you look into the public lands that are available and make a plan for where you would like to hunt. Once you have decided a spot perhaps someone would be willing to go along with you there and give you some tips. But outside from that most of us, especially those who hunt public land kind of have our spots scoped out and its not really a reasonable ask for someone to take you along with them. Most folks just aren't going to be comfortable sharing that kind of info I think.
    I'm fine with someone black bagging me to their honey hole so I won't know where it is.

Jimboh

Jan 1, 2020
    Centreville
    I’m not sure where you’re located or how far you’re willing to go but there’s a place near me, Schrader’s Outdoors, that offers guided hunts for everything from small game, waterfowl and deer. I’ve never done any hunts with them but seems like a good option for beginners.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I strongly suggest hunting with friends for the simple fact that once you bag that deer the work begins. Field dressing is an art that if done wrong will ruin your meat plus having help dragging that deer is very helpful.

Not having friends that can take you then Guide Services are the answer. You are paying for their experience, their land to hunt on, and they do most of the work. When they field dress your game ask them to let you do it under their guidance.

If it is meat you are after, let me suggest Hog Hunting. This is a year round season. For about $700 a day you get lodging, food, hunting, and butchering. From Baltimore its a 6 hour drive to North Carolina.

Good luck

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Great advice!

Read up on the regs and how to access the public’s places for hunts.

A number of books can be read to provide basic knowledge of deer. You can visit public places off season and practice some of the things you read. With a camera, not a gun, where/when permitted.

Still talk with your friends over time. If they are in a lease they may be able to get you in. At that point you’re not depending on them, you’ll pay, but also have full member rights.

It takes time to get things rolling, but each year you build for the next.

Good luck in your journey.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    I strongly suggest hunting with friends for the simple fact that once you bag that deer the work begins. Field dressing is an art that if done wrong will ruin your meat plus having help dragging that deer is very helpful.

Not having friends that can take you then Guide Services are the answer. You are paying for their experience, their land to hunt on, and they do most of the work. When they field dress your game ask them to let you do it under their guidance.

If it is meat you are after, let me suggest Hog Hunting. This is a year round season. For about $700 a day you get lodging, food, hunting, and butchering. From Baltimore its a 6 hour drive to North Carolina.

Good luck
    I've got friends in NC (that hunt), might be worth a trip to visit.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Great advice!

Read up on the regs and how to access the public’s places for hunts.

Still talk with your friends over time. If they are in a lease they may be able to get you in. At that point you’re not depending on them, you’ll pay, but also have full member rights.

This. Some of my buddies are avid hunters, but lease rights to hunt on land with other guys. They can't just bring in another dude (outside of say, their young son) as the other guys would lose their minds.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Where are you looking to hunt and what seasons? Bow, muzzle loader, firearms? I don’t mind someone tagging along if you don’t mind putting up with a 60 yr old curmudgeon who is more into the hunt or day afield vs. harvest.

HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    Where are you looking to hunt and what seasons? Bow, muzzle loader, firearms? I don’t mind someone tagging along if you don’t mind putting up with a 60 yr old curmudgeon who is more into the hunt or day afield vs. harvest.
    Only thing I'm comfortable with would be firearms. I've shot bow for fun before, but I'm not comfortable trying to hunt with em.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    Hey ya'll,

So I want to go deer hunting this year. I've never been hunting before. I have a few friends through work that hunt, but not sure if they'll be going this year or not. I'm welcome to go with them, but I don't want to leave it up in the air if I'm going to be able to go or not based on if they are.

So on that note, I don't know if this is a thing, but would anyone that knows what they are doing mind taking me with em? I'm not out trying to get monster bucks, I just want meat. I'm a competent shooter.

Again, I don't know if this is a "thing", asking someone to show me the ropes... But I don't really know what else to do?

PM me if your interested. I might be able to help

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I hunt two public places mainly. Cunningham Falls State Park and Tuckahoe Sate Park. Both are close to one hour drive for me there are others, but these are my most familiar places. If not to far for you let me know either here or PM

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    One thing to consider is that if they invite you, that could be a good thing.

Be humble, show that you’re willing to learn, let them know you’re new but willing, and treat it like a job interview.

Some clubs allow a guest or two per year, and many times a good guest can be offered a membership should someone have to pull out for whatever reason.

That said, focus on developing you’re on path in the mean time. Public land, open hunts or draws. Etc.

This. Some of my buddies are avid hunters, but lease rights to hunt on land with other guys. They can't just bring in another dude (outside of say, their young son) as the other guys would lose their minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom