• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HonestFool03

Feb 24, 2009
    IMHO, that's the right call. Shooting 3gun with a 3gun shotgun and shell carrier is phenomenal. Shooting 3gun with a pump gun and some shells on a side saddle... not so much.
    That's pretty much my thought on it. I would rather just enjoy the rifle and pistol courses of fire than add in a shotgun course where I'd probably just be frustrated trying to keep the shotty fed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Outstanding outlaw steel match today, guys! That double helix really kicked my ass.

Any idea what's going on with all those guys at the bottom of the scorecard? Some of them have weird partials and so on.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Outstanding outlaw steel match today, guys! That double helix really kicked my ass.

Any idea what's going on with all those guys at the bottom of the scorecard? Some of them have weird partials and so on.

We had a few drop towards the end, and we had one shooter amazingly have his 10/22 go down on the first stage, make it over to the Barnes, fix it, and make it back during the 2nd stage.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Great Outlaw Steelpalooza today. Thanks to Mike and Josh for a good event, and in our case to Paul and John for friendly, solid, and well-run RO duties to our squad.

I had self-inflicted hardware issues (note to self: batteries are cheap, replace the carbine’s Vortex cell BEFORE the match), and trashed a good run on the Twirling Devil stage via a silly procedural. Which means: had fun AND learned things, which is the whole idea. Bonus: Mrs Occam had fun, which is all that really matters.

Great match! Looking forward to another. Thanks to all, and nice to see a lot of familiar faces (without masks!).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Great match today. Nice to shoot with a few familiar faces and everyone seemed to have a good time.
    The Polish plate rack wasn’t bad at all.
    The double helix is the spawn of Satan. That thing kicked my ass.
    I need a to put a red dot on my pistol lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The double helix is the spawn of Satan

Imagine Satan getting blind drunk on poison wood alcohol, and then stumbling into a dive bar to hook up and create spawn with which he then later had new TWIN spawn. And then you bolted the twin devil grand-spawn to a windmill in a hurricane.

It’s worse than that.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Imagine Satan getting blind drunk on poison wood alcohol, and then stumbling into a dive bar to hook up and create spawn with which he then later had new TWIN spawn. And then you bolted the twin devil grand-spawn to a windmill in a hurricane.

It’s worse than that.

Lmao.

This coming from the guy who ran a 18 second round on that stage with a PCC. (Not including the unfortunate procedural) That was damn good shooting

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Great Outlaw Steelpalooza today. Thanks to Mike and Josh for a good event, and in our case to Paul and John for friendly, solid, and well-run RO duties to our squad.

I had self-inflicted hardware issues (note to self: batteries are cheap, replace the carbine’s Vortex cell BEFORE the match), and trashed a good run on the Twirling Devil stage via a silly procedural. Which means: had fun AND learned things, which is the whole idea. Bonus: Mrs Occam had fun, which is all that really matters.

Great match! Looking forward to another. Thanks to all, and nice to see a lot of familiar faces (without masks!).
    That was a sick run, good stuff.

It was great weather, we had a great squad and shooting with familiar faces was super great.

Enjoyed the post match comraderie with the Occams (Missus O is a sweetheart) and the Novotnys. Slinging lead and breaking bread.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Great match today. Nice to shoot with a few familiar faces and everyone seemed to have a good time.
    Once you figure out the tricks, the Texas Star and Polish Plate Rack aren't so bad (provided the TS isn't set up in douchebag mode where you have to hit an activator first to prevent you from gaming it). I had a pretty baller run against both this match.

But... damned if I can figure out a strategy that works for the Double Helix nearly as well. Jim M friggin' burned it down, and I still don't know how he did it even thought I watched him do it. I was having a pretty good run up until I came up against it, and I just don't know what hit me. That and an ammo malf probably cost me 1-2 places in PCCO.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Once you figure out the tricks, the Texas Star and Polish Plate Rack aren't so bad (provided the TS isn't set up in douchebag mode where you have to hit an activator first to prevent you from gaming it). I had a pretty baller run against both this match.

But... damned if I can figure out a strategy that works for the Double Helix nearly as well. Jim M friggin' burned it down, and I still don't know how he did it even thought I watched him do it. I was having a pretty good run up until I came up against it, and I just don't know what hit me. That and an ammo malf probably cost me 1-2 places in PCCO.

I like the Double Helix. It is my favorite.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Had a literal and figurative blast this morning, thanks for putting on a great operation and making it hospitable to those of us still learning the ropes. I managed to not repeat my mistakes from August and substituted some new mistakes, but on balance I did way better. Rick and the Novotnys were awesome RO’s.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

The Texas Star and Polish Plate Rack don’t bother me, I enjoy the challenge. The Double Helix stage had my number. Had a feed jam in the middle of the stage that I had to clear, the the DH got me. Ended up at max time. I’ll get it next time.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You’re not well.
    He's just trolling me. This was, by far, my best showing with a PCC. I've made some upgrades to it, and I think it's pretty much where I need it to be. Just gotta firm up the mag and ammo situation so I'm 100% on function, those malfs cost me.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    He's just trolling me. This was, by far, my best showing with a PCC. I've made some upgrades to it, and I think it's pretty much where I need it to be. Just gotta firm up the mag and ammo situation so I'm 100% on function, those malfs cost me.

Trolling? I really do love the Double Helix.

We have a very wide array of shooters at our events. It needs to be challenging for everyone, not just the newbies and middle of the road shooters. In time, many will pick up their game and eventually get great satisfaction out of slaying the carnival game targets.

Just so that everyone is aware, we only put two weights on the big moving targets. This keeps them moving a little slower. There is a way to spring load both the Polish Plate Rack and Double Helix with bungy cords in order to make them spin much faster right out of the gate. Maybe we will try that in 2021. Get you some ammo and get your practice on.

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County
    Thanks to everyone for making my first Steel Challenge a success! From the event organizers, to the squad RSO's and shooters, all of them welcoming, patient, and instructive. I really only had three requirements of myself, those being to shoot safely, have fun, and not come in last...all three were satisfied! But ugh, did I really need to start this experience with the Double Helix on my first stage. ;) I saw that in my sleep all night :lol2:

S&WDDS

Feb 26, 2015
    Howard County

I'll never complain again how slow I am on the bowling pins, compared to the d-helix.;)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks to everyone for making my first Steel Challenge a success! From the event organizers, to the squad RSO's and shooters, all of them welcoming, patient, and instructive. I really only had three requirements of myself, those being to shoot safely, have fun, and not come in last...all three were satisfied! But ugh, did I really need to start this experience with the Double Helix on my first stage. ;) I saw that in my sleep all night :lol2:

Maybe it was better that way, get the worst done first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom