• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    No, you understood perfectly and it is probably my lack of knowledge. The freq. in question is 450.3375. I just ASSumed it's in the amateur band. I just remembered I know very little details about the band plans, that they do bump up against licensed frequencies, and this is more of a learning opportunity for me.
    They call it IFB and in the old days the director of the show put his cues on top of that audio for field shots to hear the show director. It's used less now with the prevalence of cell phones. Pretty sure it's legal in their radio service.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I want this guy's toys (yes, I know he's FCC). This video was way too short.

I thought this was going to be a great story, but then in pt 2 I felt let down.

Last time I was up there (at the FCC), they had about 10 of those vehicles equipped with that computerized direction finding system, but only had 2-3 engineers to use them due to staffing reductions. Sad.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Are there any brick&mortar store in Carroll or Balt. Counties?

I'm looking to get a magnetic antenna and found a few on Amazon, but I'm not sure about them. Some look springy (like whips) and not sure if it matters while driving (them bending over). I would imagine a stiff antenna that doesn't bend would be better.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    How fast do you drive? :tongue13: :D

Unless you are putting an 8 foot 10 meter whip on your car, flexibility of the antenna won't matter in any significant way at any even mildly illegal speed.

I don't think there are any ham shops anywhere nearby. Share the "B0" number from the Amazon URL (instead of the whole URL) like B016SIJX28, and I'm sure you can get opinions here on it's relative quality. That example number is for a Nagoya VHF/UHF mag mount that is probably plenty good for around-town.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Are there any brick&mortar store in Carroll or Balt. Counties?

I'm looking to get a magnetic antenna and found a few on Amazon, but I'm not sure about them. Some look springy (like whips) and not sure if it matters while driving (them bending over). I would imagine a stiff antenna that doesn't bend would be better.
    New Castle DE or Woodbridge VA. Neither too close. Delaware might not be too bad of a drive.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Gone already
    Yah, no surprise. The mic and power supply alone are each worth more than $120. Gotta be quick.

There is an Icom IC-7100 also on craiglist asking $650. Been up for a long time, and cheaper than they are selling on QRZ, if anybody is looking for a good all-mode, all-band shack-in-a-box. Also appears to include the optional HM-151 microphone which is worth $90-100 by itself. Talk the guy down to $600 and it's a very good bargain.
    https://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/d/baltimore-icom-ic-7100/7236502329.html

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    How fast do you drive? :tongue13: :D

Unless you are putting an 8 foot 10 meter whip on your car, flexibility of the antenna won't matter in any significant way at any even mildly illegal speed.

I don't think there are any ham shops anywhere nearby. Share the "B0" number from the Amazon URL (instead of the whole URL) like B016SIJX28, and I'm sure you can get opinions here on it's relative quality. That example number is for a Nagoya VHF/UHF mag mount that is probably plenty good for around-town.

Thanks. I've been looking at these unless something else catches my eye.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M8MVEQM/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016SIJX28/

New Castle DE or Woodbridge VA. Neither too close. Delaware might not be too bad of a drive.

It would be New Castle, but I'm too lazy/cheap to drive that far for something like this. But, thanks for the info. Maybe when I'm in the market for a radio (this HT isn't going to satisfy me for long).

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Thanks. I've been looking at these unless something else catches my eye.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M8MVEQM/

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016SIJX28/

It would be New Castle, but I'm too lazy/cheap to drive that far for something like this. But, thanks for the info. Maybe when I'm in the market for a radio (this HT isn't going to satisfy me for long).

Either will work. I'm not fond of the short piece of adapter coax, I've had multiple failures on the radio end; its not really made for continuous use. Maybe 8 or 10 weeks if you are careful not to pull it apart on the first few days. Maybe Nagoya does a better job of the connection, but the hardware I went thru was not that great.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Ham Radio University - January 9

I've never attended so I don't know if it's any good, but Ham Radio University educational conference is online this year.
    Might be useful for the FNGs (Fresh New Guys :)). I will probably attend just to see what it's all about.

It doesn't cost anything and will be using video conferencing. Registration is required. Donations welcome.

http://hamradiouniversity.org/

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    There are at least a couple of people who use Craigslist to try to solicit and grab any Amateur equipment that comes on the market, mostly through deaths, to resell.

This^^^

I picked up a really nice FT897D in Parkville a couple years ago. I was browsing for antennas, and this 897 was such a great price, I assumed it was a scam.

I called and the kid said it was his dads. He dad was still with him, but no longer active. He gave me his call sign and I crossed referenced to the FCC record to the address he gave me. What was the kicker was he had a tuner that he told me to take when I got there.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Either will work. I'm not fond of the short piece of adapter coax, I've had multiple failures on the radio end; its not really made for continuous use. Maybe 8 or 10 weeks if you are careful not to pull it apart on the first few days. Maybe Nagoya does a better job of the connection, but the hardware I went thru was not that great.

I agree with Mark, either will work. Personal preference based on nothing more than my opinion: I think the Nagoya would be a better choice.

Thanks, fellas. The Nagoya is the top one in my list. I have the 771 and have no complaints about it.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    For those of you looking for equipment, Anne Arundel Radio Club currently has quite a bit for sale. Not expensive to join.

Way back in this thread, the subject of used equipment came up. Unless you're looking for something in particular used (i.e., tube/vintage equipment, or large linears or towers) I find the savings are rarely worth it. Half the time I see used radios for sale for more than I can find the same radio new. I picked up a 7300 a little over a year ago for $900 with rebate, Looks to be $1000 with rebate right now. Helluva cool radio when you connect a panadapter to the RF...

Attachments

• IMG-7410.jpg
      IMG-7410.jpg
      86.2 KB · Views: 154
    • IMG-7411.jpg
      IMG-7411.jpg
      90.4 KB · Views: 165

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree. Demand has pushed the value of a lot of used ham stuff up so close to new that you really have to shop around. $200 savings on a $1200 radio isn't worth not getting the new warranty and support from a commercial seller.

Its become a field where you really have to know what the item is that you are buying and what the market is for that item and its competition.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Do not know much about Ham Radio however, my uncle had a 1950s setup in his attic. He had all kinds of gear with several types of antennas and did Morse code a lot. I remember sitting by him talking to people all over the world, sat their for hours with him. He passed many years ago and my cousin his son owns the house, the antennas are gone but all his equipment sits in the attic covered up.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Do not know much about Ham Radio however, my uncle had a 1950s setup in his attic. He had all kinds of gear with several types of antennas and did Morse code a lot. I remember sitting by him talking to people all over the world, sat their for hours with him. He passed many years ago and my cousin his son owns the house, the antennas are gone but all his equipment sits in the attic covered up.

Would love to see a pic if you ever get the chance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom