Anyone else having trouble "pulling the trigger" on a new purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just a lever action and bought the 45 ammo for it all online with no issues.
    I think it depends on what you want to get. If you're looking for anything 9mm or 223, or any firearm related to it, or any polymer framed semi-auto pistol that shoots 9mm, it's a tougher thing to find.

In terms of reloading and reloading supplies, small pistol and rifle primers are almost nonexistent - the supply can't keep up with the demand. Any powder that's good for reloading 223 is also almost nonexistent. Pistol powders are easier, but powders that are good for 9mm are harder to find than others.

My meager supply of primers is dwindling, although not so much because I'm shooting, but more that I'm just doing a lot of reloading so that I can get out to the range more later on.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I find the opposite.
    9mm/380/40/45 poly pistols ate everywhere on GB for at MSRP or slightly above.
    Marlin lever guns are 2-3X MSRP

I think it depends on what you want to get. If you're looking for anything 9mm or 223, or any firearm related to it, or any polymer framed semi-auto pistol that shoots 9mm, it's a tougher thing to find.

In terms of reloading and reloading supplies, small pistol and rifle primers are almost nonexistent - the supply can't keep up with the demand. Any powder that's good for reloading 223 is also almost nonexistent. Pistol powders are easier, but powders that are good for 9mm are harder to find than others.

My meager supply of primers is dwindling, although not so much because I'm shooting, but more that I'm just doing a lot of reloading so that I can get out to the range more later on.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I'm not in the market for a new gun, but one thing that greatly concerns me, with the Dims having control of Congress and the Presidency, is that they will come up with some scheme, not to outlaw guns, but to make it near impossible to buy ammo. I truly hope that this is just my tin foil hat creeping out of the basement, but it certainly would be disastrous for all gun owners in this country if it were to happen.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Ive picked up three new guns in as many months, and a new suppressor. I'm buying because I'm not 100% certain I'll be able to in the future. Panic buying? Guilty.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm not in the market for a new gun, but one thing that greatly concerns me, with the Dims having control of Congress and the Presidency, is that they will come up with some scheme, not to outlaw guns, but to make it near impossible to buy ammo. I truly hope that this is just my tin foil hat creeping out of the basement, but it certainly would be disastrous for all gun owners in this country if it were to happen.
    I told my wife yesterday to get ready for me to spend a whole lotta money on guns, ammo, powder, primers, etc for as long as I can over the next 4 years before the asshats in control enact legislation that makes it difficult to exercise our rights - BS stuff like taxing the crap out of ammo, mandating electronic/biometric controls on guns, etc.

They won't be able to outright abolish the 2nd Amendment, but they'll find ways to skirt it.

On a side note, and this is tinfoil hat stuff, but I'm expecting some kind of massive heinous mass shooting within the first year of the Biden/Harris presidency.

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Kinda in the same boat , buying what and when I can . Finding deals hear and there . Just bought a quantity of 410 shells. Pasadena gun and pawn wanted to charge me 50 then 40 for a box , I passed . Found some for 18 and sgt.physco had some . Yep stocking up and shooting 22 and .17 a lot more these days slow up the shooting of my bigger calibers. Did just get a nice shotgun ,good deal is a good deal .

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Finally Pulled the trigger on a S&W 617 22 cal.
    Will have to wait the customary period to actually get to pull the trigger on it :)

Correction!!!
    Item was listed on Gunbroker as well, some lucky guy on gunbroker beat me to it, my "purchase" was refunded to me!!!

So if you see something you like, be quick about it, and don't snooz!!!

Last edited:

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Yeah, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a new purchase. My first purchase in nearly 20 years.

I *finally* decided to buy an M1 Garand from the CMP. After the results of Georgia's runoff election, I literally threw my completed CMP order package on the kitchen counter in disgust and walked away from it. It is as yet, unmailed.

Is there any point in following through with this purchase?

How long do I have before I have to hand it right back to my new government overlords in some sort of mandatory buy-back program?

Why should I buy it when ammunition is nonexistent?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, I'm having trouble pulling the trigger on a new purchase. My first purchase in nearly 20 years.

I *finally* decided to buy an M1 Garand from the CMP...

Is there any point in following through with this purchase?

Why should I buy it when ammunition is nonexistent?
    There are a few beautiful things about guns.

One is that they are near a peak of technological advancements. Sure - we're still tweaking propellants, cartridges, bullets, actions, etc - but the basics of a metallic cartridge firearm have not changed appreciably in over 100 years. I purchased two new 1911s in 2020 - the same basic pistol adopted by the US Army 110 years ago.

Another beautiful thing about guns - they don't go bad with time. I have guns in my safe that are well over 50 years old that are still perfectly functional and can be used with off-the-shelf modern ammunition. I recently had the opportunity to put some rounds downrange with a custom Mauser 98 sporter my Dad built in the late 60s/early 70s that hadn't been fired since before he died in 1997. It shot like a champ using reloads that my Dad loaded for it in 1984. Both guns and ammo keep. For a long time.

Yet a third thing about firearms, specifically about metallic cartridges, is that for someone intent on shooting, you don't necessarily have to buy new ammo. Although I will acknowledge that components are also becoming hard to find, almost everything I shoot is a reload. I buy very little ammo - mainly a few rounds to get started. The I scrounge all the range brass I can find. I picked up 500 rounds of re-manufactured 45 ACP back in 2008. I have not purchased a single 45 ACP round since, and yet my accumulation of 45 ammo is well beyond 500 rounds at this point. People give me brass because they don't reload, and I typically scrounge a bit more than I shoot.

In short - get the CMP M1 Garand. Look beyond the now - that gun isn't going to go bad, and there will come a time when you have ammo for it. I have a Garand that probably hasn't been fired since the mid 1980s, so even if I don't use it, I'm still glad that I have it.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    With all of this shortage in ammo, I've been having a hard time "pulling the trigger" on the purchase of a new firearm. I typically buy ammo on line and all the places I shop are sold out. Without the ability to get ammo, a new firearm purchase doesn't seem to make sense. I don't hang out out a LGS's, but perhaps I should as I've heard some of them have ammo in stock (on occasion). Anyone else resisting a new purchase because they can't get ammo for it?

In the past 24-48 hours, ammo prices have gone thru the roof. If you can find 22LR, minimum price is 25cpr; hot CCI is around a buck per round. 38spl is 3-4 bucks a round(!). Most stuff is sold out from all the online sellers; local gun stores will be really hurting.

Once it becomes clear how bad the supply is, the panic will only increase. As manufacturers continue to crank out rounds, they'll be snapped up at top prices, while the state and fed legislatures start cranking out bills to restrict sales.

This is by far the worst I've seen; makes Obama look like a wimp, instead of the country's top gun salesman.

I wonder if this will result in the dumping of a lot of firearms at bargain prices. They're not much good without ammunition, after all.

To answer the OP's question - as of now, I'm suspending plans to purchase more firearms, due to the ammo situation. Certainly I'd buy nothing new in a caliber I don't already have. This is a turnaround from the answer I'd have given a week ago.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    They won't be able to outright abolish the 2nd Amendment, but they'll find ways to skirt it.

On a side note, and this is tinfoil hat stuff, but I'm expecting some kind of massive heinous mass shooting within the first year of the Biden/Harris presidency.

A we've seen in the last few years, these mass killings will be committed by liberals.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    With all of this shortage in ammo, I've been having a hard time "pulling the trigger" on the purchase of a new firearm. I typically buy ammo on line and all the places I shop are sold out. Without the ability to get ammo, a new firearm purchase doesn't seem to make sense. I don't hang out out a LGS's, but perhaps I should as I've heard some of them have ammo in stock (on occasion). Anyone else resisting a new purchase because they can't get ammo for it?

I do not see ammo prices coming down and have decided to consolidate my platforms with ammo commonality in mind.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    @trickg
    In short - get the CMP M1 Garand. Look beyond the now - that gun isn't going to go bad, and there will come a time when you have ammo for it. I have a Garand that probably hasn't been fired since the mid 1980s, so even if I don't use it, I'm still glad that I have it.

Sigh...ok. I have the package in my hand and I'm going to walk it down to the mailbox in a moment. It'll be a 9 pound idiot stick until I can get some rounds and an adjustable gas plug for it.

I have already spoken to a good friend who has his own gun lab in his basement. He reloads everything and is excited to help me with reloads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom