• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    And if you collect and shoot C&Rs or unusual calibers, you are hosed.

I have guns in over 60 calibers and I shoot them all from time to time... obsolete stuff like .32, .38, and 41 rimfires are all but unobtainum as it is. None of that has been in production since the early 90s at the latest and the only way to get is is through auctions for rare and collectable ammo. One of my favorite handguns to shoot is in .38 ACP... not like you can find that or things like 9mm Largo on the shelf at WallyWorld. Ditto for the once popular but now obsolete calibers like .32 S&W, .32 Colt, .38 S&W, and .38 Colt.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    FWIW, Illinois has had the requirement that you have to have a Firearms Owner ID Card (FOID) to purchase ANY ammo including BBs and air rifle pellets since I was a kid and that had been a long time ago. When I was a kid, my Dad had to buy my BBs for me.

The last time I had one (>20 years ago) you had to fill out the paperwork for a background check by Illinois State Police, submit a passport-type photo and back then it was a $25 fee - no idea what it is now.

My Dad who is 86 let his expire - when he recently went to get a new one they told him it was about a 9 month - one year backlog.

The "system" and the issuance of FOIDs is ran and controlled by the Illinois State Police.

BTW - Illinois has been Democratic controlled forever thanks to Chicago and Northern Illinois.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.04.54 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 8.04.54 AM.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 655

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Wow, that ID is positively fascist.
    I am positively laughing at the red CAUTION statement: "This card does not permit bearer to UNLAWFULLY carry or use firearms."

You mean there are permits out there that do give me special exemptions from laws? What kind of childish doubletalk is that??

Back to HB175- Maryland is a small state, geographically speaking. If online, phone or mail order shipments of ammo are prohibited, we'll take a little trip over to West Virginia and we'll clear their shelves. It's not like it's that long of a drive.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    FWIW, Illinois has had the requirement that you have to have a Firearms Owner ID Card (FOID) to purchase ANY ammo including BBs and air rifle pellets since I was a kid and that had been a long time ago. When I was a kid, my Dad had to buy my BBs for me.

The last time I had one (>20 years ago) you had to fill out the paperwork for a background check by Illinois State Police, submit a passport-type photo and back then it was a $25 fee - no idea what it is now.

My Dad who is 86 let his expire - when he recently went to get a new one they told him it was about a 9 month - one year backlog.

The "system" and the issuance of FOIDs is ran and controlled by the Illinois State Police.

BTW - Illinois has been Democratic controlled forever thanks to Chicago and Northern Illinois.

Firearm Owner's Persecution Card

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    And if you collect and shoot C&Rs or unusual calibers, you are hosed.

I have guns in over 60 calibers and I shoot them all from time to time... obsolete stuff like .32, .38, and 41 rimfires are all but unobtainum as it is. None of that has been in production since the early 90s at the latest and the only way to get is is through auctions for rare and collectable ammo. One of my favorite handguns to shoot is in .38 ACP... not like you can find that or things like 9mm Largo on the shelf at WallyWorld. Ditto for the once popular but now obsolete calibers like .32 S&W, .32 Colt, .38 S&W, and .38 Colt.

I've never seen 7.65 Argentine at my LGS. Guess I'll have to take advantage of the "Gun show loophole" i hear so much about.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    If you hadn't noticed, it's open season on the second amendment in both the U.S. capitol and in the MGA. They will pass their agenda. Citizen input will be ignored just as speech is being silenced by bigtech. There is no place to run or hide from this.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Maryland is a small state, geographically speaking. If online, phone or mail order shipments of ammo are prohibited, we'll take a little trip over to West Virginia and we'll clear their shelves. It's not like it's that long of a drive.

Good point.

From where I am VA is the closest jumping off point. Big Dog Outfitters in King George, VA would love this. lol.

I used to have to go to NSWC in Dahlgren, VA about once a month for my job. I would stop at Big Dog every trip and pick up a few magazines. One time the owner who I think is a retired VA State Trooper happened to be in there and commented "I sure do love you Maryland Boys. You pay my rent with magazine sales".

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Good point.

From where I am VA is the closest jumping off point. Big Dog Outfitters in King George, VA would love this. lol.

I used to have to go to NSWC in Dahlgren, VA about once a month for my job. I would stop at Big Dog every trip and pick up a few magazines. One time the owner who I think is a retired VA State Trooper happened to be in there and commented "I sure do love you Maryland Boys. You pay my rent with magazine sales".

Hey, Master Chief! ET1(SS/EXW) here. Originally a Radioman.

If you were on the Trepang, you're older than dirt. :) I started off on the Pargo.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Hey, Master Chief! ET1(SS/EXW) here. Originally a Radioman.

If you were on the Trepang, you're older than dirt. :) I started off on the Pargo.

Yep - older than dirt would a fairly accurate description, at least the ways I feel somedays..LOL

USS Trepang (SSN-674) was where I started - Gotta love them 37's. Wrapped up 25 years and change on a Virgina - Hated them.

Try to spend my time above water these days :thumbsup:

Tebonski

Jan 23, 2013
    Harford County
    I will not purchase a Maryland hunting or fishing license to deny the state the money. Yes I realize I am denying myself something but am willing to make that sacrifice.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    everyone had better do more than fill out a "NRA postcard"
    1st and foremost CALL and EMAIL everyone on the judiciary committee and ask WHY they feel the need to pass any laws while covid lock downs are in place???
    Also - Email Hogan,, as he and the speaker have signed off on the rules.
    https://governor.maryland.gov/contact-us/

https://www.mdcounties.org/238/Judiciary-Committee

Then go over and create a MGA account and let them know HB175 would restrict ammo sales to what is on the walmart shelf (how did that work out in 2020?)

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsi...MyMGATracking/ManageLists&registerId=Tracking

AMMO prices is already crazy!!! please take the time to say NOOOO HB 175

https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...AU0_XIMhWVjaSKetc1mfREC4isESrHbDEmjLw0ggvjQ1M

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    So The MGA has a Dem super majority, a veto proof majority.
    Year past, the Dems would submit all types of gun control bills,, the pro 2A folks would testify, debates were had, etc.
    In the end "over reaching" bills would not pass. More bills would come the next year,, pecking away a little each year.

That was in the past, this is now, things have changed.
    Bloomberg is literally paying politicians to pass HIS agenda.
    There is a "strength in numbers" with the dems,, they are encouraged on a state level by the national "wins"
    And lastly,,, The goal of total confiscation to pave the way for communism is "in sight" for them.

So, when it is shown that MD citizens will not be able to purchase the ammo they want/need via mail order,, will they back off?
    If they receive 10-1 testimony against HB175, will they back off??

My view is they feel they no longer have to "play the game"
    As much as I despised and hated the "old school" corrupt dems like Miller,, this new crop of young leftist have no history, traditions, etc to rein them in. They are fuel by the "hate America" PC crap,,,

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    The communists in MD are always trying to solve a non-problem.

That's what really pisses me off about it. I could maybe understand if they tried to do something that they legitimately thought would save lives, no matter how misguided I thought it was. I would disagree and fight against it but I could at least understand how from an uninformed person's decision they might think something can help.

But seriously, who the hell could possibly think that this is going to help anything? I doubt if this save a single life.

A solution in search of a problem, as you said.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    You miss the point,, they (Dems) KNOW it will not solve any crime or safety issue.
    They do NOT like you, they hate you, they want you gone, they want to piss you off and make you miserable. HB175is just another small step in getting rid of the Maryland gun owner.

That's what really pisses me off about it. I could maybe understand if they tried to do something that they legitimately thought would save lives, no matter how misguided I thought it was. I would disagree and fight against it but I could at least understand how from an uninformed person's decision they might think something can help.

But seriously, who the hell could possibly think that this is going to help anything? I doubt if this save a single life.

A solution in search of a problem, as you said.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    And I will go a step farther, go read Del. Atterbeary's (sponser of HB175) twitter feed,, it gives a good insite into her mind and hatred of anything not radical leftist, pro BLM, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom