Got my Handgun Permit - A Little Nervous...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    To the OP and others in this thread who have carry permits, if you don’t mind sharing how did you qualify? I know self employment is common. I’m currently self employed as a software contractor but as far as I understand there’s nothing about my situation that would get me a permit. Seems like work would need to involve transporting equipment and/or cash.

Here’s what you need.

Attachments

• 9401FFB6-7969-4F45-87D7-C8C9923CE87F.jpeg
      9401FFB6-7969-4F45-87D7-C8C9923CE87F.jpeg
      57.1 KB · Views: 454
    • 2B4DEDF6-E604-4205-90ED-48253A8AB0F6.jpg
      2B4DEDF6-E604-4205-90ED-48253A8AB0F6.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 456

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    My understanding is that since I don’t handle cash or bank deposits, my circumstances wouldn’t count. I get direct deposits from my primary gig.

See my last post- also suggest reaching out to MSI which I’m guessing you’re a member of, they have a lot of experience at this.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    See my last post- also suggest reaching out to MSI which I’m guessing you’re a member of, they have a lot of experience at this.

I am indeed. I’d talked to one of the guys at United in Rockville about it a bit too. I’ll look into it further. I’m generally not looking to carry on my person most of the time but it would be good to have the option. Would at least give me the ability to carry in my vehicle and would make coming and going from ranges less nerve-wracking.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I will always remember when i received my first permit (MD) it was on my birthday in 2013 .

I first carried a revolver because i had a holster for it , i have have a few carry guns and now carry a Glock 30s it is .45 cal. , i may go back to a MP S&W .40 just trying out a few holsters for it IWB

I should add congrats to you and if possible avoid problems and walk away is always best .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ditch that "holster".

Never carry empty. If your support hand is injured or you are using to to parry a punch/fighting, etc... you'll never charge that pistol and you will die right there with a paperweight in your pants.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    To the OP and others in this thread who have carry permits, if you don’t mind sharing how did you qualify? I know self employment is common. I’m currently self employed as a software contractor but as far as I understand there’s nothing about my situation that would get me a permit. Seems like work would need to involve transporting equipment and/or cash.

I know one way you DONT want to qualify, the way I did, life threatened at gun point.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    that "holster" is a meme. You need to be think about being able to draw one handed, while seated, etc. It would be near impossible with that holster.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back at the OP ;

At best , that holster is highly specialized , with significant trade offs.

Only slightly cynically , it's a gimmick .

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I know one way you DONT want to qualify, the way I did, life threatened at gun point.

Sorry to hear that - that’s the biggest travesty with how it’s handled in MD. That “good and substantial” could mean you had the bad luck to find yourself in a situation and just enough good luck to get out of it makes no logical sense at all. I have several friends who live and/or grew up in Bmore who have been held up or shot at, and know of ppl who have been carjacked and one who was shot dead for no apparent reason. Despite playing music in crappy neighborhoods there for many years I was lucky. Did have a confrontation with a group of kids once where I’d wished I at least had something as a deterrent or a last resort, but for whatever reason they decided it wasn’t worth it and left. 8 years ago but I think about it all the time and clearly remember the look on the main kid’s stupid face.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    that "holster" is a meme. You need to be think about being able to draw one handed, while seated, etc. It would be near impossible with that holster.

Not only draw one handed, but be able to draw and fire one handed and always with one in the chamber.

Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian

I have a TS clearance and that helped. On my carry permit though, it specifies that my permit is valid only as long as I work for the place that granted the clearance.

I'm training to become a gunsmith though - retirement career - so after I retire I'll have to re-apply with that as my occupation since the TS will no longer be there.

Oh3

Jan 2, 2016
    Carroll Co
    I have a TS clearance and that helped. On my carry permit though, it specifies that my permit is valid only as long as I work for the place that granted the clearance.

I'm training to become a gunsmith though - retirement career - so after I retire I'll have to re-apply with that as my occupation since the TS will no longer be there.

Enjoy it while you can. I found out that they aren't allowed to verify clearances for the purposes of MD W&C permits any longer. Now I need to come up with a business plan within 2 years. :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom