• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I only asked...because I'm dry as dirt and honestly didn't know. :o I'm assuming you can just leave it laying around anywhere? :nono:

At this point, I really don't know where to run with it, because the argument is tainted by logic...but: MD considers alcoholic beverages more dangerous than rifles and shotguns. Any 18 year old who can pass a background check can buy a long gun, but still has to wait 3 years for a beer. (Their solution would be to raise the age for long guns to 21, I'm sure :rolleye12). If we really want to push public safety into the home... :shrug:

Has the house version of this been heard? I'd be really tempted to go "favorable with ammendments" with the ammendment being the inclusion of, "and alcoholic beverages" after every time the word "firearm" appears. It would be a stunt/bluff of sorts...but it might get some attention.

Admittedly, the alcohol part doesn't affect me...so it's easy for me to take a "fine, burn it ALL down" approach. I understand why everyone else may not be on board ;)

ATF has been using so much of their resources to "F" with us, isn't it about time they start working the "T" and "A" as well? :shrug:

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I'd be really tempted to go "favorable with ammendments" with the ammendment being the inclusion of, "and alcoholic beverages" after every time the word "firearm" appears. It would be a stunt/bluff of sorts...but it might get some attention.

I would PAY to see that. Hey, I am not going to stop you. :thumbsup:

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I only asked...because I'm dry as dirt and honestly didn't know. :o I'm assuming you can just leave it laying around anywhere? :nono:

At this point, I really don't know where to run with it, because the argument is tainted by logic...but: MD considers alcoholic beverages more dangerous than rifles and shotguns. Any 18 year old who can pass a background check can buy a long gun, but still has to wait 3 years for a beer. (Their solution would be to raise the age for long guns to 21, I'm sure :rolleye12). If we really want to push public safety into the home... :shrug:

Has the house version of this been heard? I'd be really tempted to go "favorable with ammendments" with the ammendment being the inclusion of, "and alcoholic beverages" after every time the word "firearm" appears. It would be a stunt/bluff of sorts...but it might get some attention.

Admittedly, the alcohol part doesn't affect me...so it's easy for me to take a "fine, burn it ALL down" approach. I understand why everyone else may not be on board ;)

ATF has been using so much of their resources to "F" with us, isn't it about time they start working the "T" and "A" as well? :shrug:
    House Version has not been heard yet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My biggest question and concern is how will this be enforced? Is there a clause that gives LE permission to come into your home to verify if your being compliant or is this a close cousin of the red flag so someone will need to catch you and turn you in.

There is no way to enforce it. Even if they make a provision that LE can come into your home to check, it violates the 4th and 5th amendments

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

Art, there you go again, making trouble with logic and sense. FWIW, MD *does* have criminal laws makin the adult liable for allowing access to alcohol by a minor. MD Code, Criminal Law, § 10-121 and MD Code, Criminal Law, § 10-117 ("Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, an adult may not knowingly and willfully allow an individual
    under the age of 21 years actually to possess or consume an alcoholic beverage at a residence, or within the curtilage of
    a residence that the adult owns or leases and in which the adult resides")

mrbob1000

Nov 5, 2018
    Annapolis
    My biggest question and concern is how will this be enforced? Is there a clause that gives LE permission to come into your home to verify if your being compliant or is this a close cousin of the red flag so someone will need to catch you and turn you in.

It would likely be from an unrelated warrant or voluntary visit (do not ever volunteer) to get into your house in the first place and then tack the charges on. It leaves a huge window open for arbitrary and discretionary enforcement. Does the wealthy Annapolis resident have "safe" storage with their safe but the PG County resident doesn't with the same safe because the officer and prosecutor have differing views?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It would likely be from an unrelated warrant or voluntary visit (do not ever volunteer) to get into your house in the first place and then tack the charges on. It leaves a huge window open for arbitrary and discretionary enforcement. Does the wealthy Annapolis resident have "safe" storage with their safe but the PG County resident doesn't with the same safe because the officer and prosecutor have differing views?

Yup, exactly right. That is the history of MD gun control law.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County

And it's not within the officer's discretion, it's the prosecutor's discretion due to the body camera.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    I feel like they are making common sense a law. minors should never have access to your guns, even if they know how to use them. There has to be some cases where minors got a hold of their parent's guns, just as there were cases of people using hair dryers in the tub. Lock your toys up.

I had my first .22 when I was about 10 years old, hanging on the rack right over my bed! I know lots of others that have had guns from the time they were very young. Access is not the problem! Teaching your kids right from wrong is the problem, and this whole “everybody gets a trophy” mentality, “you can’t spank your kids” mentality is what the problem is. When I got that .22, I knew there were dire consequences if I used it without permission, or without adult supervision. Respect, coupled with a bit of fear is good for kids. Let’s face it, you can’t legislate away stupidity. Maybe we should make a law that before you have kids you need to pass some type of test, that would certainly cure the problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Could is always the wrong word in a law. It is way too open. If you have a dial safe your juvenile could see you put the combo in and then could access your firearms. Does that mean all safes need biometric locks? Your juvenile could go Adam Lanza and kill you, then could use your dead finger to open the safe. The word “could” does not belong in a law.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Could is always the wrong word in a law. It is way too open. If you have a dial safe your juvenile could see you put the combo in and then could access your firearms. Does that mean all safes need biometric locks? Your juvenile could go Adam Lanza and kill you, then could use your dead finger to open the safe. The word “could” does not belong in a law.

100%. Even other states with strict storage requirements go the route of saying something like stored in a California DOJ approved firearm storage whatever (I don't remember the exact language of most of the state laws).

Could sucks bad.

DID access when not stored through (insert prescribed method), while not under adult supervision and DID injure or kill themselves or another while not engaged in lawful self defense of themselves or another. Done, have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom