• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beefcube

Sammich King
    Mar 15, 2011
    Westminster
    Was just looking for something 22lr to waste time and ammo with.
    Looks like most are out the door under 150$.
    I've got a couple 22lr rifles and alot of ammo to burn. Had fun with a Heritage revolver but don't want another single action yet.
    Anybody have pros or cons on them ??

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I’ve had one for about 20 years or so and it’s a fun little plinker. Need to have realistic expectations - it’s a super cheap, cast zinc pistol but otherwise a decent shooter.

They have lifetime warranties but replacement parts are so cheap from Phoenix it’s easier just to repair most things yourself. I had to replace a firing pin and firing pin spring and replaced all the other springs while I was at it for good measure. They’re really easy to work on and I highly recommend bypassing the magazine safety.

They don’t like hot ammo (unless you can find an aftermarket extra power recoil spring) but will cycle light .22 loads including subsonic no problem. They’ll cycle the hotter stuff just fine it’s just that the slide pounds the frame so not something you want to feed a steady diet of unless you slow down the slide velocity.

I have the spare long barrel and had it threaded by Morgan at Class III Machining.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Ive had mine for 20 years. Fun little plinker. Mine has been very reliable.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have had one for about 25 years. Probably been 20 years since I have shot it. From what I can remember it was a nice little shooter. I have a friend that has been bugging me to sell it to him. I'll probably just keep it around for now.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I bought mine at Bel Air Gun and Pawn. Got a Star Firestar at the same time.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Was shooting Stingers with it at the old Select Fire range in 2004 or so, slide fractured on one, I was fine just a bit surprised. Was a great little gun until that happened.

That explains it. They're only rated for standard velocity ammo, not high velocity. There are some documented incidents of that happening around the net from people using HV ammo. Over time, the slide pounds the frame until a crack forms when shooting HV.

MCarbo makes a replacement recoil spring that is stiffer than OEM (and higher quality) that should add a safety margin when shooting HV.

OEM spring is just too soft for any hot .22 ammo. On the other hand, the OEM spring cycles even the lightest subsonic .22 ammo so that alone tells me it's a little too softly sprung for HV.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    I was just shooting mine tonight actually, only one mag though. I've been frustrated trying to get my GSG-1911 to cycle subsonic ammo which is the opposite from the HP-22 in that only HV ammo is recommended. I can almost get the GSG to cycle the slower stuff but not quite there yet (M22 doing ok, Aguila and Eley no joy). For comparison's sake I decided to finish off with a mag through the HP22. My H22 just loves the low velocity ammo, cycles everything I put in it and, strangely enough, it's noticeably quieter than the GSG-1911 when shooting suppressed.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    That explains it. They're only rated for standard velocity ammo, not high velocity. There are some documented incidents of that happening around the net from people using HV ammo. Over time, the slide pounds the frame until a crack forms when shooting HV.

MCarbo makes a replacement recoil spring that is stiffer than OEM (and higher quality) that should add a safety margin when shooting HV.

OEM spring is just too soft for any hot .22 ammo. On the other hand, the OEM spring cycles even the lightest subsonic .22 ammo so that alone tells me it's a little too softly sprung for HV.

Since then I’ve read several similar stories and seen pictures a lot like mine looked in the aftermath. Picked up a Ruger MkII for about $175 in replacement as a shooter shortly after that that I still have today. Few months back the itch for a little .22 bit me again and I got an LCP II but haven’t shot that one yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom