MD DNR "Merlin" equivalents for other states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    I hope this is a good place for this, didn't want to post 3 threads (1 each in each state sub-forum) but will if its a better place for it.

Does anyone know of the existence of any equivalent to the "Merlin" site/system for Delaware, Virginia and/or Pennsylvania?

If your not familiar with it its a GIS (Geographic Information System) thing, shows detailed maps (topo, satellite/etc) with information on a whole lot of different things about properties and shows trails/trailheads/parking/etc for many parks.

https://gisapps.dnr.state.md.us/MERLIN/index.html

I use the MD one all the time, one of the few very good uses of our tax dollars or license revenue that MD has done.

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank you for posting these sites. I didn't know about either one and they are both going to be useful. I am still ordering 1:24,000 maps from USGS.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    The Maryland one is very useful for finding property boundaries and ownership of parcels of land among other things. If you’re looking for good online topo or satellite views it’s also good for that. I didn’t play with the PA one much but has a lot of good info. For PA if you just want maps for hiking etc. chec their DNR site. They have hiking maps as well as snowmobile trails

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The Maryland one is very useful for finding property boundaries and ownership of parcels of land among other things. If you’re looking for good online topo or satellite views it’s also good for that. I didn’t play with the PA one much but has a lot of good info. For PA if you just want maps for hiking etc. chec their DNR site. They have hiking maps as well as snowmobile trails

A grain of salt is often needed when using apps like this for identifying property boundaries. MERLIN uses tax map data to draw boundaries. In looking up properties on the MD tax map ArcGIS (the source data), there is a disclaimer about the state not making any representation of accuracy or completeness, nor representing survey data. They seem to be mostly accurate. But can also be way off. When I look up my property on the Tax map, the boundaries and location are nowhere near the real surveyed property boundaries. On the tax map, my entire property is displayed south and west of its surveyed actual location by a few hundred yards and is compressed in an odd shape representing less than half of its actual acreage. My house actually appears in the middle of what the map identifies as state parks and forest land.

When we bought the place, we got a survey before closing. To nobody's surprise, it verified that the tax map was not even close to reality.

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG

Thanks for the link, hoping DE and VA have similar, the only ones that come up for VA on google searches are pretty barren for info.

I use the MD site for all kinds of stuff, but usually to look for new trails to hike and such in places that I am not a "local" to. It doesnt show all the trails by any stretch but shows a good number of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom