• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Thank you. So the application # and Dealer information can be given over the phone when online application is made? Then when I get email. Print out email and take to FFL .. Sound right?
    First open an account with MSP. In that process you will chose HQL exception for active duty military and provide necessary information.

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MspBridgeClient/#/home

Second, complete application to buy a regulated weapon, pretty much all handguns and specific lower receivers. Your side of e77r is only data on you with qualifying questions.

When completed, MSP will send you an email with application number and PIN number associated with that application via email provided when you established account.

Your FFL will need both items. The FFL opens your application and QAs, checks ID's, confirms your qualifying responses and adds weapons data. Once that complete, you pay a $10.00 fee online to MSP. At that point 7 day wait starts as that submits application.

During same visit, you will complete Federal 4473 form.

For Military, I would need to see Mil CAC ID, copy of Orders showing MD as Command, and something with local address.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Congratulations (I guess)

From your "home based FFL", to your buying tribulations, to assorted desiderata, you have had a trying few weeks on MDS.

Shinebox has not been added to the cart, but its early on yet.

Hope things go well, going forwarded.
    Thanks I hope I do too. The problem with the FFL was the local zoning, One of the requirements was that it not be around a school and a detached home. Which mine is not and is near a school. So I couldn't take it any further

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    First open an account with MSP. In that process you will chose HQL exception for active duty military and provide necessary information.

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MspBridgeClient/#/home

Second, complete application to buy a regulated weapon, pretty much all handguns and specific lower receivers. Your side of e77r is only data on you with qualifying questions.

When completed, MSP will send you an email with application number and PIN number associated with that application via email provided when you established account.

Your FFL will need both items. The FFL opens your application and QAs, checks ID's, confirms your qualifying responses and adds weapons data. Once that complete, you pay a $10.00 fee online to MSP. At that point 7 day wait starts as that submits application.

During same visit, you will complete Federal 4473 form.

For Military, I would need to see Mil CAC ID, copy of Orders showing MD as Command, and something with local address.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ah-ha. Thank you Sir. :thumbsup::patriot:

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    About to go through this for the first time. If I'm doing 2 lowers, how does that work? Is there an obvious way to select 2 items and I get 2 codes or is it still just a single code?

Do I have to pay $20 total or just the $10?

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    About to go through this for the first time. If I'm doing 2 lowers, how does that work? Is there an obvious way to select 2 items and I get 2 codes or is it still just a single code?

Multiple items on a single 77r with one pin. One $10 MDSP fee since it's $10 per 77r not per item.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

Multiple items on a single 77r with one pin. One $10 MDSP fee since it's $10 per 77r not per item.

If you have a Md Designated Collector Status letter, this is exactly the way it works. If you are not deemed a Designated Collector, you need to fill out the 77R for a dealer discount or you can only add 1 firearm to the 77R. And it is an actual discount...whatever the dealer charges...as you will save 10 bucks! ;)

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for the responses - I am a designated collector so I selected that option.

Though I think the entire process is ridiculous, the system they have in place is actually... not bad.

What would have been a great compromise (I know, who am I kidding) with this new system is if you could submit the request, get the approval ahead of time and walk out with your firearm with just one trip to the FFL once you show "not disapproved". You are still going through the background check and waiting period from the time you submit the application, so it's the same net effect from my perspective.

Seems like it could be easy to implement, if they wanted to.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Thanks for the responses - I am a designated collector so I selected that option.

Though I think the entire process is ridiculous, the system they have in place is actually... not bad.

What would have been a great compromise (I know, who am I kidding) with this new system is if you could submit the request, get the approval ahead of time and walk out with your firearm with just one trip to the FFL once you show "not disapproved". You are still going through the background check and waiting period from the time you submit the application, so it's the same net effect from my perspective.

Seems like it could be easy to implement, if they wanted to.

Lol. Nothing about the 77r process is about actually checking any backgrounds. That part takes no time now that the system is automated. If they make a mistake they can always pay you an abrupt 515am visit.

The idea is to place hurdles and ban guns slowly.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    submit the request, get the approval ahead of time and walk out with your firearm with just one trip to the FFL once you show "not disapproved".

Are you some kind of maniac? How would you expect them to keep the crime rate as low as it is with this kind of crazy talk?

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    Hello again everyone. Another question - I was told by the shop that I made the purchase from that I have 90 days to pick up lowers before I'd have to go through the process all over again.

Since the shop is a bit of a hike I was planning to pick up next weekend, 7/14. I received an email today from MSP, however, saying that there are components of the approval that will expire in 5 days and that expiration of these components may result in a delay of the firearm transfer.

That would be the 30 day mark. Am I safe to wait past 30 days (as originally planned) or do I have to pick it up prior to 30 days?

I dont wanna have to wait again :mad54:

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    NICS recheck after 30 days. Will likely take a couple days. Your FFL needs to start that process in the portal. Call ahead so you aren't making an extra trip

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    Glen Burnie
    NICS recheck after 30 days. Will likely take a couple days. Your FFL needs to start that process in the portal. Call ahead so you aren't making an extra trip

So it's the Federal NICS component that expires after 30 days? And they should be able to resubmit without me being present if I give them a call and explain the situation?

Its a 1.5 hr drive each way for me (they are close to a buddy's house that I visit about monthly and had a great deal) so I'd really, really like to avoid not having to make another trip.

I checked the portal and it says that I'm not disapproved until September.

Thanks for the info!

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Yes to your first paragraph.

The state check is good for 60 days while the fed only 30.

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Just another bump for second review and processing times - are y'all seeing second reviews on the "7th" day with approval on the 8th morning? Submission last Monday and under second review today. Hoping email comes tomorrow/Mon at 6am

2ndatrades

Aug 20, 2020
    Howard County
    Went to MSP barracks to start a c&r handgun transfer last Saturday morning with a fellow MDshooter, today being the 7th day and I still haven’t received my email. Was looking forward to test firing this weekend but that’s not happening now. Hoping the trooper that did the transfer for us didn’t botch this up for us

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Data point: I applied for mine midday on a Monday the other week, Sunday second review, Tuesday 6 am approval.

Fallschirmjaager

Consumer Whore
    Aug 16, 2009
    Airstrip One/MoCo
    Got a question that may have been answered already but I can't seem to find anything: I did a private transfer through a Frederick gun store two weeks ago. On day seven, the 77r got kicked back because they had accidentally put incorrect information in one block. They fixed it and re-submitted, but a few days ago it got kicked back again because of another error. I called MDSP and they said the 7 days would start over every time it got kicked back. It's been a long time since I bought a gun but I seem to remember that after the 8th day they were supposed to release the gun regardless, but MDSP made it sound like that wasn't the case. I was really hoping to bring it with me when I go shooting this weekend. Can I go pick it up without a "not disapproved" email if it's already been more than twice the waiting period?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom