MGA 2021 aeaaion No in person public comments?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Am I reading this correctly that there will be no in person testimony allowed this session? And if that's the case doesn't that violate the state constitution/law to require public input and oversight?

Does this apply to lobbying as well? (asking for a friend)

(really need an edit button for the headline)

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Make no mistake they love Covid , it gives them cover to run their agenda behind curtains . They are hero's working while the state is in lock-down , we should hold signs up calling them hero's .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They have public input. But it must be written or virtual. And of course rather limited. They said it’ll be 50 total, by lottery, for virtual.

Not sure how that’ll work with large organizations that represent hundreds or thousands. Sponsor/opposed experts put forward by the committee members?

MGA got a legal opinion that they must meet in person for votes. But they don’t have to for committee meetings (the committees may need to meet in person for voting, haven’t heard on that).

Pretty sure it is going to heavily limit what they do though. Most legislators aren’t going to be in Annapolis most of the time during the session.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    They have public input. But it must be written or virtual. And of course rather limited. They said it’ll be 50 total, by lottery, for virtual.

Not sure how that’ll work with large organizations that represent hundreds or thousands. Sponsor/opposed experts put forward by the committee members?

MGA got a legal opinion that they must meet in person for votes. But they don’t have to for committee meetings (the committees may need to meet in person for voting, haven’t heard on that).

Pretty sure it is going to heavily limit what they do though. Most legislators aren’t going to be in Annapolis most of the time during the session.

49 for them 1 against them , that is the way they will handle it . That way we have some say .

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    'luke.clippinger@house.state.md.us' Phone 410-841-3488 | 301-858-3488

Luke Clippinger is the Chair of the judiciary committee.

I sent emails to every member of the committee yesterday,, 2 responded with "form letter" responses.

Below is a copy of a letter a friend sent,, feel free to edit it to your liking:
    Chair Luke Clippinger,
    The basic foundation of our legislative process is the public’s input and access to our legislators, The very people who you serve.
    As this 2021 session opens I am dismayed to learn that the legislators plan to move forward with the process while all but locking the public out. Yes I understand that there will be very limited “videos” chosen to be played for and against each proposed bill.
    This is NOT an acceptable substitute for direct public access to testify on legislation that will greatly affect Marylanders lives. Every Marylander that desires, has a RIGHT to directly testify his/her legislators. Any legislation passed within this restricted process will be viewed as “illegitimate”
    Please let me know what the “emergency” is that this bills must be processed while we are under a Health emergency?? Maryland has closed down a lot of business for now going on a year without even a care,, so please suspend the legislative process until the health emergency is over.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    'luke.clippinger@house.state.md.us' Phone 410-841-3488 | 301-858-3488

Luke Clippinger is the Chair of the judiciary committee.

I sent emails to every member of the committee yesterday,, 2 responded with "form letter" responses.

Below is a copy of a letter a friend sent,, feel free to edit it to your liking:
    Chair Luke Clippinger,
    The basic foundation of our legislative process is the public’s input and access to our legislators, The very people who you serve.
    As this 2021 session opens I am dismayed to learn that the legislators plan to move forward with the process while all but locking the public out. Yes I understand that there will be very limited “videos” chosen to be played for and against each proposed bill.
    This is NOT an acceptable substitute for direct public access to testify on legislation that will greatly affect Marylanders lives. Every Marylander that desires, has a RIGHT to directly testify his/her legislators. Any legislation passed within this restricted process will be viewed as “illegitimate”
    Please let me know what the “emergency” is that this bills must be processed while we are under a Health emergency?? Maryland has closed down a lot of business for now going on a year without even a care,, so please suspend the legislative process until the health emergency is over.

*****Covid is their Trump card - they can pretty much do as they please under the guise of public health.

Thankfully, these were emails as if they had been written on paper, you might have gotten it returned after they wiped their asses with it first.

It's 2021, and I hope I am mistaken, but I think this will be a year of consolidation of power where quaint thoughts of redress of grievance and petition and public hearing from the voter will be mostly history. An email will suffice and will be read at committee hearings, after being edited for brevity, while legislators play chess or watch kitty cat videos on YouTube, etc.. before their vote....

Maybe this will change once the health emergency is over, and we can all take off our masks, restaurants and other business can once again open without restrictions, and John Durhams investigation into corruption of the 2016 election will *almost* be finished... Good investigations take time you know! :rolleyes:

I feel for you regarding public access - it is a BIG deal. However, the reality is that our current health crisis basically allows the suspension of pretty much whatever they feel is necessary for the good of the State, the Nation, and us. They are in charge right now.

Once we vote them out, we can put our conservative constitutional good citizens in who understand the importance of limited government, fiscal prudence, and respect of the citizen. Until that time, a return form letter email response to our queries and concerns is better than a multiply ass-wiped paper letter humbly sent by citizens to our representatives.

Could be worse! We can at least vote them out still ! (I think..)

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Once we get thru this "Pandemic" don't expect it to change back , they have us (as a people) on our heels they are running the show fixing things that don't need to fix until they break it .

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    Last time I looked there was no exception for covid or any other disease in either the Maryland or the Constitution of the United states... Just more overreach by politicians in both parties.

Yes. It is a "just shut up and take it" year in nap town. It's just more magic from their bag of tricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom