• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    As someone with a 6 year old and 2 year old I’ve gained a wealth of knowledge about locking down the house of dangerous items. If it is accessible a child may access it no matter what you think they will do. As for firearms I’m in agreement with keeping them firmly inaccessible but also taking time to teach as well under supervision.

Both my kids were shooting .22 at five. My daughter would hunt with my with a BB gun at three, three and half, trigger we so heavy she couldn't even pull it. used to have her with me sometimes when teaching hunter safety and had comments that she had better safety skills then most adults. Got her license at 8. My son at 10.

Now I ask you, LEO will be excluded as always from thing the end. My kids are State certified to sit in a woodlot by themselves (15&16) now with a high powered rifle yet it will be criminal to have access to them in the house.

You know the bitch about these hearing is you jut talk. You can't have a conversation or ask questions of the committee members. I'd ask each to answer the logic behind what I just wrote.

eagledriver

Jan 13, 2013
    Mt Airy, South sorta
    LOL Well if you never store your piece and always keep it with you on your person, there's no way you violate this minor access pos regulation attempt... Sorry, this is the best humor I can come up with at the moment for another stupid attempt by lefty loonies in the legislature.
    If you think this is bad, you ought to read Pelosi/Sarbanes/? H.B. 1 in the current House docket that essential usurps all voting regulations from the States to the Feds. In other words, what the Dems got away with on narrow targeting of ballot fraud in just a couple of states to flip the outcome, they will be able to apply these techniques to all voting across the Nation.
    Gird your loins!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Both my kids were shooting .22 at five. My daughter would hunt with my with a BB gun at three, three and half, trigger we so heavy she couldn't even pull it. used to have her with me sometimes when teaching hunter safety and had comments that she had better safety skills then most adults. Got her license at 8. My son at 10.

Now I ask you, LEO will be excluded as always from thing the end. My kids are State certified to sit in a woodlot by themselves (15&16) now with a high powered rifle yet it will be criminal to have access to them in the house.

You know the bitch about these hearing is you jut talk. You can't have a conversation or ask questions of the committee members. I'd ask each to answer the logic behind what I just wrote.

Actually it isn’t if you bothered to read the law.

Access for a minor who has completed a hunter safety certification is okay.

Cant argue a ton with anything else you said.

I have an issue criminalizing the possibility of access.

I have no issue with the last piece which is holding the owner responsible if they don’t store it safely and the minor hurts themself or someone else with the firearm that they accessed.

If I leave my car keys around and my 13 year takes my car and crashes it I should be responsible. Parents should be reasonably responsible for their kids. If they are 16 and have a license the state has said they are now fine. That’s a responsibility I, the state and the minor have all agreed to the minor accepting at that point.

I’d see it the same way with a hunter’s safety certification and/or hunting license.

Can you trust your kids’ friends though?

I wouldn’t trust my kids leaving loaded guns around. I’d be pretty darned sure nothing bad would happen. 2 of 3 know how to shoot. Youngest I am taking to learn soon (she turns 9 shortly). They’ve all been shown and handled guns and been taught firearms safety on numerous occasions. But really pretty sure to me isn’t good enough to not have any supervision at their age. Kids do impulsive things sometimes.

I sure as shit don’t trust their friends. Oh, sure some I know live in households with guns. They shoot and possibly hunt. Etc. but I don’t know all of their friends’ situations. I know my kids would be smart, but I don’t need to find out one of their friends goes in tow closet that is off limits and discharges a shotgun messing around or something.

So anyway, to me each their own. If they think things are good, well they are probably in the best position to know (the firearm owner). But if it turns out they were WRONG about that trust, they should also be held liable.

An unsecured firearm is not in and of itself a problem.

Clark W. Griswold

Oct 5, 2009
    This bill is a mess. The only carve out for a minor who has a hunter safety certificate is for rifle and shotgun. So, a kid who wants to trap can’t carry a 22 pistol to dispatch fox or coyote in a trap. They would have to use a rifle or shotgun unless they had an adult with them. It also raises the age the existing law applies to from 15 and under to 17 and under

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    You all have to remember our officials and representatives in office have no clue. Most hate guns and never exposed to them or educated. They should not be allowed to make these decisions on firearms use and safety. Its like me telling a pilot how he should fly a plane. They need to keep their nose out of our business as they are clueless.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Good Education, training, and awareness

https://legiscan.com/MD/bill/SB479/2021

New Senate bill introduced, adding severe penalties for failing to comply with MD firearm storage in house/with minors law.

Three sub-sections of penalties that total up to 5+ years in prison. Good news is, I hear if you get covid they're letting people out early.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...6cc1f8-29dc-11eb-9b14-ad872157ebc9_story.html

I grew up in a house that had guns, I knew about them as young as 6 or 7. Knew were they were kept by 8 or 9. My dad didn't have a gun safe, or trigger locks. There was a closet, that he said I couldn't go into without his permission/supervision. He reinforced that until my 6,7 & 8 year old brain understood it. The bullets for his guns were in a locked cabinet. He taught me to respect guns first, then he taught me to clean them, then he taught me to use them. I can still remember the first time he allowed me to carry the single shot .22 in the woods with him, it wasn't loaded, the shells were in his pocket, but his first rule was. A gun is always loaded. And I acted like it was loaded, muzzle awareness. safety engaged, trigger finger behind the guard, watch my footing. That day is still one of my fondness memories with my dad.
    There are so many people out there now that have no clue how to handle a firearm safely, way to many people. You almost need, big brother, STUPID People LAWS, but this is America, big brother and his laws are NOT constitutionally legal. Education, training, and awareness are.
    There are going to be accidents, Cars, bathtubs, electrical appliances, icy driveways sidewalks, golf carts, amusement parks, baseball/football games, hot coffee, booze, drugs, tractors, and horses, avalanches, and yep guns. Maybe government suggested, promoted, funded Education,training, and awareness.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When I was a kid my Father's "gun safe" consisted of a corner of his closet and his top dresser drawer. I got a 22 rifle at 9 and it was in my room. My Father taught me gun safety and responsability at a young age. That is the key, not gun locks, padlocks or safes.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    When I was a kid my Father's "gun safe" consisted of a corner of his closet and his top dresser drawer. I got a 22 rifle at 9 and it was in my room. My Father taught me gun safety and responsability at a young age. That is the key, not gun locks, padlocks or safes.

Yep.

My kids learned gun safety (the real thing, not the Bloomberg version) at a very early age. They started shooting at 4-5 years of age. Hell, both my kids were shooting machine guns by the time they were 12. I could leave a loaded gun on the coffee table and know they wouldn’t touch it. The “rules” are something they could recite in their sleep at a very early age. THIS is gun safety.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Same here. My dad had hunting rifles and shotguns somewhere in the house. We kids didn't care to go looking for them - we were busy being wild, outside kids, and knew gun safety. I think the "mystic" had been dispelled.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    When I was a kid my Father's "gun safe" consisted of a corner of his closet and his top dresser drawer. I got a 22 rifle at 9 and it was in my room. My Father taught me gun safety and responsibility at a young age. That is the key, not gun locks, padlocks or safes.

I'm not worried about my kids, they're both pretty responsible and understand firearms are tools, not toys. Heck, my 14 year old is more emotionally mature than a lot of 40+ year-olds I know. But I do worry about some of their friends. And maybe my wife, at times, too. :D

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Some people are thinking this is a "reasonable" gun safety measure. What this bill really is, is a way to expand gun control into people's homes by criminalizing law abiding parents of minors who keep guns at home. This bill is a slippery slope as it will set a precedent that the state gov can legislate how you manage your property within your private property. It's pretty easy to see how this bill if it goes into law will be used to entrap many innocent parents.

This law could also be used to justify the government doing a 'safety check' at your house as they will try to expand the scope of this law and program.

semiinc

Oct 19, 2020
    Where can I get a decent safe at a fair price?

Does the tractor supply one have a key over ride that works?

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    This big problem in this bill is the word "could". They don't use "would". "Could gain access". So do you have a torch or portable grinder in your house? Yes? Then your minor child "could" use them to access your safe. Also, it requires the same level of security for an unloaded gun as for a loaded one. So all of those locks you are required to use when you purchase a pistol? Not good enough. Those Project Childsafe locks you can get for free that do a pretty good job keeping your firearm unusable? Not good enough.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Law enforcement is trained to secure their duty weapons (in a safe) as soon as they arrive home, especially if there are minors in the home.

Dumbest thing I have ever read. Are you aware that last year there was a local teen murdered when he took his fathers "SECURE" service weapon and pointed it and shot at three other teens that were more accurate in their aiming than the cops son ? You don't know how careless they can be.

mangleu

Jan 29, 2020
    https://legiscan.com/MD/bill/SB479/2021

New Senate bill introduced, adding severe penalties for failing to comply with MD firearm storage in house/with minors law.

Three sub-sections of penalties that total up to 5+ years in prison. Good news is, I hear if you get covid they're letting people out early.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...6cc1f8-29dc-11eb-9b14-ad872157ebc9_story.html

Is there anything specified in the bill over routine check to verify you're conditions for storage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom