• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    I am thinking about getting a new gun and always wanted a 12 gauge. But I have cancer and the treatment is slowing it down but I have a tumor in my scapula on my right shoulder. Luckily I am left handed but think a 12 gauge is out of the running. I have shot 9mm, 22 handguns and 22 rifles. How much kick do smaller gauge shotguns have? How about .223/5.56 AR15?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If I was in your situation, I'd be looking for a 410 shotgun that is capable is holding a 3" shell. Those can hold up to five pellets of 000 buck. That's a lot of firepower without a ton of kick. I have a Charles Daly Honcho in 410 and my wife, who is recoil adverse, shoots it without a problem. Plus, this gives you the option of having the first round out being rubber buckshot. With Maryland's horrible self defense laws, I think that is a smart way to go. My 410, 12 gauge, and Taurus Judge are all set up that way.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I am thinking about getting a new gun and always wanted a 12 gauge. But I have cancer and the treatment is slowing it down but I have a tumor in my scapula on my right shoulder. Luckily I am left handed but think a 12 gauge is out of the running. I have shot 9mm, 22 handguns and 22 rifles. How much kick do smaller gauge shotguns have? How about .223/5.56 AR15?
    Thanks in advance
    Mike

Get well OP. What do you want to do with it? Defense, hunting, clays? Shotguns can be loaded mild to wild depending on purpose. Smaller gauges are typically lighter but a 12 gauge all steel shotgun like an 870 with light target shells will kick less than a 20 gauge with heavy shells. A nice recoil pad and a Past recoil shield would help too. Hard to beat an 1100 for comfort.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Last year I bought a Mossberg SA28 Semi auto in 28 gauge. It's a very nice, soft shooting gun. I really like it a lot. At the time I bought it I found ammo through ammoseek and ended up getting 500 rounds for about $150 shipped.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Last year I bought a Mossberg SA28 Semi auto in 28 gauge. It's a very nice, soft shooting gun. I really like it a lot. At the time I bought it I found ammo through ammoseek and ended up getting 500 rounds for about $150 shipped.

I've heard that 28 gauge is some of the easiest ammo to get right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP, I hope your treatment is a success.
    Plenty of good options mentioned above. I can only add that in most if not all cases, semi automatic guns will be a softer shooting gun than a single shot, bolt action, or pump action in a given caliber/gauge.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Your choice is indeed very dependant upon your intended usage.

If what you want is the shotgun, and one that can minimize recoil, the heavier the weight the better. Semi-auto will also help to mitigate recoil. Unless you want .410 on purpose, I'd look to a 20ga for a wider range of usability, so long as it isn't a lightweight.

If looking for a rifle, the recoil of .223 is minimal, and in any event will be less than the shotgun.

Get well, and good luck your way sir!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Gas operated semi auto reduces recoil a LOT.

There are light 1 ounce loads that also reduce recoil.

I am sure that with a little bit of work, you can meet up with one or more people here on MDS and try shooting a 12 ga.

I have a Rem 11-87 Sporting Clays that you are welcome to try. I should have some Fiocchi 1 ounce loads also.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I would hold off until cleared bt the doc. But if you are like me and wont wait, I would get a 410 to start. Your definition of "kick" is relative.

Good luck.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Thank you everyone for the kind words.
    Mainly just looking for target practice not hunting. I really appreciate everybody’s advice..

Thanks
    Mike

Virgil Co.C

Aug 10, 2018
    Henry makes a 410 lever action , 2 3/4 only . Think it’s cool ,kinda best of 2 worlds .agree with every one else’s statements. Just wanted to add the Henry , May like it. Best of luck , that stuff gets beat every day medicine has come a long way .

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I hope your treatment goes well!

In my opinion, the actual gun weight is going to be more an issue than recoil. Look for something lightweight. The serratus anterior muscles anchor the scapula against the back, providing leverage/support for lifting the upper arm. With weakness/damage at the scapula, I would anticipate difficulty with bringing the right arm up with the weight of the firearm. Recoil is largely managed by the shooting side, your left side as a left-handed shooter, and pulling the gun back against the left shoulder is what helps keep everything together during recoil.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I use 20, 28, 16 and 410 gauge depending on what I am hunting and where. Most of mine are double barrel and suites me. I would consider a 20 gauge but you should actually shoot someone's first to decide. You may have to consider a 28 or 410 gauge. I also wish and hope you the best in fighting cancer. Hope all works out ok for you.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    E.Shell I hadn’t really thought about it in those terms. The Dr’s never explained anything other than don't lift anything heavy. Which doesn’t surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom