• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Firstly, visit with the widow and as sundaze recommended, make all weapons safe. Chances are good at least one of those weapons is loaded. Next, take stock of very weapon she has. After that, I would visit with a couple local gun shops that offer consignment sales and talk to them. Get more than one opinion(so to speak). Then go from there.

This. This is the way to go. Unless there are family or friends who want any of the guns. TBH for someone with zero clue with guns and no interest in them, the best bet there is probably the same gun shops she consults with about selling them all on consignment would be the place to ask if they'd be willing to do the transfer on whatever guns need/want transferring to a friend or family member.

For the next ~3 weeks any long gun can legally just be handed to whomever wants it if they are resident of Maryland (family or friend) without needing to do any formal transfer. After that, it must go through an FFL (gun shop). Handguns all must go through the Maryland State Police or an FFL for transfer.

The window doesn't need to do a thing to take possession of any of them, so long as none are NFA items. And disposing of them is likely as quick as asking a local gun store to sell them on consignment for her. However, if a friend or family member might be interested in any, she may want to consider doing that. Especially if there is any sentimental attachment.

PS I know when I go, my wife is going to ask one of our friends to dump them all at the nearest gun store. Local landfill would suit her just fine too. Not entirely sure she'd honor my request to let the kids have them. Or at least a few choice guns. Granted, they are all minors now and I don't think she would be willing to hold on to any for a few years till they are adults. That said, once they are adults, she'd probably be willing to let the kids deal with the guns if any are so inclined (pretty sure they will be inclined). At the very least I'd like my Garand and carbine to go to one or more of the kids.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    This. This is the way to go. Unless there are family or friends who want any of the guns. TBH for someone with zero clue with guns and no interest in them, the best bet there is probably the same gun shops she consults with about selling them all on consignment would be the place to ask if they'd be willing to do the transfer on whatever guns need/want transferring to a friend or family member.

For the next ~3 weeks any long gun can legally just be handed to whomever wants it if they are resident of Maryland (family or friend) without needing to do any formal transfer. After that, it must go through an FFL (gun shop). Handguns all must go through the Maryland State Police or an FFL for transfer.

The window doesn't need to do a thing to take possession of any of them, so long as none are NFA items. And disposing of them is likely as quick as asking a local gun store to sell them on consignment for her. However, if a friend or family member might be interested in any, she may want to consider doing that. Especially if there is any sentimental attachment.

PS I know when I go, my wife is going to ask one of our friends to dump them all at the nearest gun store. Local landfill would suit her just fine too. Not entirely sure she'd honor my request to let the kids have them. Or at least a few choice guns. Granted, they are all minors now and I don't think she would be willing to hold on to any for a few years till they are adults. That said, once they are adults, she'd probably be willing to let the kids deal with the guns if any are so inclined (pretty sure they will be inclined). At the very least I'd like my Garand and carbine to go to one or more of the kids.

If you think your wife may just dump your arms collection, or skip handing them off to the kids, you may wish to speak to a wills and trusts attorney to structure things so that your last wish is that each kid gets x, y, z guns so it's not left up to whim or chance.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In Maryland it is up to whomever is appointed as Personal Representative of the estate to handle the disposition of the deceased's property. That is the person with both the legal responsibility and authority to see the estate is properly settled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom